What is complicity?

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

Is complicity, uh, trade? 

If two people agree on a deal, are they complicit?

I see complicity as cooperating on something that is illegal or immoral.

If we look at trade specifically I see three cases;

1. You and I agree to the sale of my legally owned car for a specific price, then that is not complicity.
  2. You and I agree to the sale of 1kg of cocaine for a specific price, is a weak example of complicity.
  3. You and I agree to establish an arrangement for an ongoing exchange of cocaine for money, that is a much stronger example of complicity.

Why a thread on the meaning of a word ?  

https://www.google.ca/search?q=complicity&oq=complicity&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.1803j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

the state of being involved with others in an illegal activity or wrongdoing.

association or participation in or as if in a wrongful act. 

the state of being an accomplice; partnership or involvement in wrongdoing:

the fact or condition of being involved with others in an activity that is unlawful or morally wrong.

The meaning of a word? How about the meaning of a number?

======

A number, a price, leads to co-operation - but is that the same as complicity?

Some Leftists are now advocating a "carbon tax" or "cap and trade" - they want to use prices to protect the environment.

Imagine. 

Edited by August1991

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

News flash - almost every nation on earth has signed onto this.  "Some leftists"... your topical tracking is way off.  

Have you ever heard of command-control?

=====

It seems that Xi Jinping wants to be another Lee Kuan Yew. 

These men aside, even Chinese/western "culture", I have always liked the phrase of Deng Xsiao Ping:

"Who cares whether the cat is white or black as long as it catches mice."

"Complicity" means "to (ap)ply, (em)ploy, or plot with, usually in context to some association with someone or some group presumed liable to some real or social crime or deviation of an expected norm."

Its use is to remind one of some "implicit support of some other person, group, or issue by context of doing something apparently unrelated but potentially aiding in the behavior of the assumed deviants. 

The accusation is often used against another PRIOR to establishing whether some accusation is valid or not. The rhetoric is to hopefully shame you into an association that you WOULD agree is supporting of another IF the person's you associate with WAS or IS actually guilty but not established. Where it IS established, one would be complying if their actions were NOT NECESSARY to some other unrelated need. 

Example: [false but rhetorical use] You keep someone employed with you even when they've been accused of inappropriate behavior against another.

[You may not KNOW whether the accusation is or is not valid and cannot simply act without that certainty. It might cost you also to place the burden on the accused to leave when it will cost you twice: once for covering the accused time on leave AND to the one you require replacing that person with.]

Example: [reasonable accusation] You keep someone employed with you even when you KNOW the accused is guilty of some inappropriate behavior when you have other clear options to fire the person and replace them with someone less problematic. 

[This person might be someone you have an emotional connection to that is distinctly different by association but by keeping that person, it 'complicitly' supports their behavior by not penalizing them and further penalizing the other employees.]

On 3/11/2018 at 10:04 PM, Scott Mayers said:

"Complicity" means "to (ap)ply, (em)ploy, or plot with, usually in context to some association with someone or some group presumed liable to some real or social crime or deviation of an expected norm."

So, complicity means a "real or social crime".

But what if complicity means all of us, together?

=========

Sorry, Scott Mayers. I regard "complicity" as another term for "co-operation". And I largely view co-operation as a good thing.

This thread has been about the meaning of a word.  You suggested it could mean something other than it does (without context).  Then people listed the actual meaning.  Then you responded acknowledging that meaning and said "Sorry, but I think it means this THIRD THING"

If someone smokes a pipe while saying this nonsense, I suppose it may appear like surreal intellectualism.

• 2 weeks later...