CTV Backpedals On Patrick Brown Allegations

I can't say I'm at all surprised by this development. Since the story first broke it stank to high heaven and only the most gullible of fools would have accepted it without a huge healthy dose of scepticism. Now what? Brown is going on the offensive, but what form will that offensive take? I'm hoping it will be legal action against his accusers and also CTV. That would be a method that force the entire sordid affair into the light. I'm pretty sure CTV can be sued as it's obvious they never practised any due diligence before jumping all over this story.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/provincial/key-accusation-against-patrick-brown-false-ctv-now-admits/wcm/b0fc3b8d-f7db-4b30-a808-50ed71b6371e

3 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

I can't say I'm at all surprised by this development. Since the story first broke it stank to high heaven and only the most gullible of fools would have accepted it without a huge healthy dose of scepticism. Now what? Brown is going on the offensive, but what form will that offensive take? I'm hoping it will be legal action against his accusers and also CTV. That would be a method that force the entire sordid affair into the light. I'm pretty sure CTV can be sued as it's obvious they never practised any due diligence before jumping all over this story.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/provincial/key-accusation-against-patrick-brown-false-ctv-now-admits/wcm/b0fc3b8d-f7db-4b30-a808-50ed71b6371e

I could take or leave Brown but as a person who has been accused of something IF they didn't so anything is going to be harder for women who r  telling the truth and no one may believe them.....IF this turns out to be untrue, then she needs to pay big time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

What exactly is being 'back peddled'. To me it sound like the only thing that has changed is that one girl actually had completed high school - period. Can you point out any other detail that changed?

That's a huge thing. AND it ruins the credibility of the accuser. She was not underage and didn't correctly recall aspect of Brown's house. 

Should we not expect consistency when someone makes an accusation that ruins someone's life? 

I hope Brown sues the CTV and these women. 

Edited by Boges

She lied about her age and the location, the other woman's assertions appear not to be true.  CTV's McGregor called the male who was supposed to have driven her to Brown's house, he has denied any involvement, something McGregor did not report.   Brown's lady friend also refutes her story about what happened at the house.    It really does seem that Brown was set up.  I hope he continues fighting back.

• Like 1

Just now, Boges said:

That's a huge thing. AND it ruins the credibility of the accuser. 

Should we not expect consistency when someone makes an accusation that ruins someone's life? 

I hope Brown sues the CTV and these women. 

It sounds like these women's lives have been ruined by the threats and other vile hatred they are subject to.

How do you think making one small error in remembering a traumatic event from a decade ago ruins ones credibility. Victims are not to believed if they are not 100% perfect?

3 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

It sounds like these women's lives have been ruined by the threats and other vile hatred they are subject to.

How do you think making one small error in remembering a traumatic event from a decade ago ruins ones credibility. Victims are not to believed if they are not 100% perfect?

If you're not alleging a crime then this plain gossip. He said, She said. And it seems Brown can poke holes in the story. 

I'm just very concerned that we live in a place where a decade can pass and women can make claims about sexual encounters that will ruin people's lives. AND they can remain anonymous and aspects of their story don't have to be true. 

• Like 3

Just now, Boges said:

I'm just very concerned that we live in a place where a decade can pass and women can make claims about sexual encounters that will ruin people's lives. AND they can remain anonymous and aspects of their story don't have to be true. 

They are not anonymous, many people obviously know who they are as they have been recipients of vile hatred and threats.

Again you are looking for perfection (perfect recall of all events a decade later) from victims or else the traumatic events they suffered don't count.

6 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

They are not anonymous, many people obviously know who they are as they have been recipients of vile hatred and threats.

Again you are looking for perfection (perfect recall of all events a decade later) from victims or else the traumatic events they suffered don't count.

Then don't go out of your way to ruin a man's life. . . unless you're alleging a crime was committed. 

Her not being underage is a big deal in this case.

They're a victim of hate mail because people think Brown is being railroaded and it's starting to look like he was. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Boges said:

Then don't go out of your way to ruin a man's life. . . unless you're alleging a crime was committed.

So any inappropriate behavior is acceptable unless it is criminal? I must shut up and ignore others actions unless they can be convicted under the criminal code?

Someone in another thread is alleging that Trudeau was drunk in Chicago while talking to a group of students. I don't see any definitive evidence of this, and it is certainly not a crime. What do you have to say to that person?

3 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

So any inappropriate behavior is acceptable unless it is criminal? I must shut up and ignore others actions unless they can be convicted under the criminal code?

Someone in another thread is alleging that Trudeau was drunk in Chicago while talking to a group of students. I don't see any definitive evidence of this, and it is certainly not a crime. What do you have to say to that person?

It's not appropriate. But like Bill Maher said, there is a distinction between sexual assault and inappropriate sexual advances. Treating them like they're the same does a disservice to rape victims. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1MZRowhMtc

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

It's not appropriate. But like Bill Maher said, there is a distinction between sexual assault and inappropriate sexual advances. Treating them like they're the same does a disservice to rape victims.

Agreed,  but I don't think they were treated the same here. In the workplace you can be fired for inappropriate sexual advances.

No one is looking for 'perfection' but they do want the truth especially when anonymous allegations can ruin a guy's life and career.  The reporter(s) obviously didn't do all their research before printing, but I suppose that doesn't matter if you are out to tar and feather some one.   Enough has come out now to cast more than a little doubt on their stories.

4 minutes ago, AngusThermopyle said:

Well...to be fair, you do have a track record of doing just that.

If you examine my track record, you will find your belief is what is guiding you here. Concerning for example Patrick Brown, I expressed right from the first day these allegations were made that I am not sure what transpired here. I am not supporting these allegations, but do not agree with the vile slut shaming that always appears in these cases and speak up loudly against it. CTV has a responsibility to investigate and report relevant news, and this certainly fits within that mandate. They also have a duty to make corrections when they learn of them, which it appears they did. It seems however that many think that the media is at fault, certainly a part of the Trump narrative that hey have been exposed to for the past couple of years. Many facts are conveniently ignored to support ones position, like the stories floating around Ottawa about Patrick Brown that were never talked about until this story surfaced.

26 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

It seems however that many think that the media is at fault, certainly a part of the Trump narrative that hey have been exposed to for the past couple of years. Many facts are conveniently ignored to support ones position, like the stories floating around Ottawa about Patrick Brown that were never talked about until this story surfaced.

Never waste an opportunity to use "Trump" for an issue in Canada....textbook example that will not reduce CTV culpability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No one is looking for 'perfection' but they do want the truth especially when anonymous allegations can ruin a guy's life and career.  The reporter(s) obviously didn't do all their research before printing, but I suppose that doesn't matter if you are out to tar and feather some one.   Enough has come out now to cast more than a little doubt on their stories.

Brown is now suing - and rightly so.

6 minutes ago, scribblet said:

The reporter(s) obviously didn't do all their research before printing

So what is your standard? I guess if you believe the CTV is out to tar and feather some one, then you have iron clad evidence of that and will share it with the rest of us; we wouldn't expect less from your standard.

10 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Victims? Victims of what? Even if you believe every word they said one was asked for a blowjob from a stranger she followed to his bedroom, and she gave it and that was that. If you believe the other one, Brown propositioned her, tried to kiss her, stopped when she refused and was nice to her thereafter for many years. How the hell does that make them victims of ANYTHING?

The first woman said she was underage to be drinking, and a high school girl when Brown took her home, brought her to his bedroom and dropped his pants. First of all, that never made any damned sense. He dropped his pants and asked for a blowjob and she gave it to him!? Bull. Now we hear she was old enough to drink, not a high school girl, and that a woman who was Brown's girlfriend at the time remembers the girl and remembers being IN THE HOUSE at the time, and remembers her following him around everywhere, which annoyed her. According to Brown she propositioned him, and he said no and drove her home. With his girlfriend in the house I would say he's a lot more believable here.

Second woman turns out to be the friend of the reporter involved, and is gay (some reports say the reporter is gay too). She claims that she went home to his place with him and another guy, and that she went up to his bedroom along with this other guy to look at some pictures, and the guy then left, after which Brown propositioned her. But the other guy says that never happened, that he only went to Brown's bedroom to charge his phone, and never saw either of them in there all night. So in both cases Brown has some kind of backup at least, and they've got nothing.

Also, the second guy said he told CTV this when they called to confirm the woman's story, but CTV chose not to report this with their story. They also chose not to reveal that the reporter had a relationship with the second woman.

It all sounds pretty dubious to me.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ?Impact said:

So what is your standard? I guess if you believe the CTV is out to tar and feather some one, then you have iron clad evidence of that and will share it with the rest of us; we wouldn't expect less from your standard.

CTV has a huge responsibility to check out the credibility of a story before they make something public.  Once published, the damage is done whether the guy is guilty or not.  Careers and employment are affected.  Lives can be ruined.  Even their families are affected.

On the other hand, no one's saying the women cannot press charges.   If they feel they've been wronged, then file a complaint.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, betsy said:

CTV has a huge responsibility to check out the credibility of a story before they make something public.  Once published, the damage is done whether the guy is guilty or not.  Careers and employment are affected.  Lives can be ruined.  Even their families are affected.

On the other hand, no one's saying the women cannot press charges.   If they feel they've been wronged, then file a complaint.

So again you are saying anything goes. A 30+ year old man can do anything he wishes with a young woman many years his junior, even one that he is in a position of authority over so long as it is not in the criminal code and she must take it and shut up. There are only crimes, and nothing is inappropriate. All those men who have lost their jobs in the past for sexual misconduct or sexual harassment were wronged and they can sue their former employers, the women that accused them, etc. If it isn't proven in a court of law it doesn't count.

Edited by ?Impact