The second amendment is failing the USA : Another school shooting!

15 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Depends...and varies by state....deadly force is permitted to prevent death or injury to oneself or others.  Concealed carry holders have lawfully dispatched perps outside of their homes and on public property.

The more narrow "castle doctrine" generally permits lawful firearms uses against intruders in the home, regardless of their (unknown) intentions.

No, as many commonly used firearms today incorporate semi-automatic loading action, from sporting shotguns to handguns.

Image result for deer hunting with assault rifle

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The baby killing abortion rights folks haven't agreed to a "happy medium", so I don't know why the gun nuts are expected to just roll over on their constitutionally enumerated gun rights.   Trying to take the guns away would result in larger conflict and shootings.

Don't think abortion has anything to do with it.  

I know there are gun rights in the American Constitution, but I'm not sure that means they are unlimited.  Too many innocent people are being killed now.  Guns falling into the wrong hands and people owning military style automatic firearms that are costing a lot of lives and for what purpose? 

24 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Don't think abortion has anything to do with it. 

Abortions rights were created via Roe v. Wade by the U.S. Supreme Court, the same court that has affirmed gun rights that, unlike abortions, are specifically enumerated by the 2nd Amendment.   Drawing parallels to abortion "killing" works for the pure political dynamic that is in play, at least for court rulings.  The baby killing abortion rights lobbies refuse to compromise to a "happy medium".

I know there are gun rights in the American Constitution, but I'm not sure that means they are unlimited.  Too many innocent people are being killed now.  Guns falling into the wrong hands and people owning military style automatic firearms that are costing a lot of lives and for what purpose? 

I don't know of any group, including the NRA that is claiming unlimited, automatic, military spec gun rights.   Long guns and rifles only cause a small portion of gun homicides, regardless of their design.   Hand guns cause the majority of gun homicides / suicides, but the media focuses more on high profile "mass shootings".

Gun rights should not be infringed because of criminals and the mentally ill.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

"Mass shootings" are only a small fraction of gun homicides and suicides in the U.S.

Now you are including suicides in your argument. Why don't you include being killed by a foreign born terrorist? Oh wait, you are four time more likely to die in a mass shooting as being killed by a foreign born terrorist. Why do we spend trillions on the foreign born terrorist threat, and completely ignore the mass shooting threat? Could it be that the NRA masters in the arms industry have the politicians in their pocket.

13 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Now you are including suicides in your argument. Why don't you include being killed by a foreign born terrorist? Oh wait, you are four time more likely to die in a mass shooting as being killed by a foreign born terrorist. Why do we spend trillions on the foreign born terrorist threat, and completely ignore the mass shooting threat? Could it be that the NRA masters in the arms industry have the politicians in their pocket.

I sure hope so...that's why we pay our NRA membership dues !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ?Impact said:

So you are saying that the self proclaimed responsible gun owners are just thugs?

I could be wrong but I think he's saying that the 2nd Amendment makes Americans responsible for shooting the government if it comes knocking at the your door to take your guns away.. 

Edited by eyeball

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Abortions rights were created via Roe v. Wade by the U.S. Supreme Court, the same court that has affirmed gun rights that, unlike abortions, are specifically enumerated by the 2nd Amendment.   Drawing parallels to abortion "killing" works for the pure political dynamic that is in play, at least for court rulings.  The baby killing abortion rights lobbies refuse to compromise to a "happy medium".

I don't know of any group, including the NRA that is claiming unlimited, automatic, military spec gun rights.   Long guns and rifles only cause a small portion of gun homicides, regardless of their design.   Hand guns cause the majority of gun homicides / suicides, but the media focuses more on high profile "mass shootings".

Gun rights should not be infringed because of criminals and the mentally ill.

I don't care what the NRA says because it is strictly a gun rights lobby group.

Statistics are what matter.  One website reports:

All shootings: Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]. Those figures are likely to rise by several hundred, once incidents in the final week of the year are counted.

The U.S. has 30X as many killings by guns as the UK.

Killings in the U.S. are done 60% of the time by guns;   Killings in Canada are about 31% of the time by guns.

The number of people killed by guns in the U.S. is up there probably near or even more than the number of casualties from the Vietnam war.   I think about 50,000 soldiers were killed in the Vietnam war but that is over a number of years.   So if you consider the number of people killed by guns in the U.S. over that same number of years, it may be much larger. 

But the gun lobby is very powerful and those who want to change the system have a huge mountain to get over.

Edited by blackbird

8 minutes ago, betsy said:

It's not the guns.  It's the people who handle the guns.

There are lots of people killed by car crash, or hit by cars.  I don't think there's anyone who actually blamed the cars. 

Which is why there must be a vetted proccess over gun control for people with mental health etc.....

36 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

Obama put one in place but Trump got rid of it because Obama put it in place. Way to go, eh?

ACLU fought Obama's overreach as well, because it discriminated against people, for issues far beyond gun rights.

Which rights would Canadians gladly give up ?

28 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

ACLU fought Obama's overreach as well, because it discriminated against people, for issues far beyond gun rights.

Which rights would Canadians gladly give up ?

Controlling gun sales to mentally unstable people is not discriminatory....It has norhing to do with being a Canadian. It is about putting sound procedure into place.

1 hour ago, LonJowett said:

Obama put one in place but Trump got rid of it because Obama put it in place. Way to go, eh?

Nothing is perfect!

Some will slipped through the cracks!

Just look at our vetting and screening for terrorists!  How many had gotten in??? 

If you're going to scream for banning guns because of people slipping through the cracks - then you should be screaming at Trudeau to ban immigration!  Same principle.

Edited by betsy

17 minutes ago, Altai said:

What was the name of the school been attacked ? Why its not mentioned in any news agencies ? 

Probably because "Parkland" is much easier to remember and say than "Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School". Anyone paying attention would have seen that is has been mentioned many times, but yes people tend to use something simpler just like we use acronyms so often.