Bush Administration apart at the seams

The US is a product of the Enlightenment and we are all children of the Enlightenment. So, draw your own conclusion about who we are.

What is the "enlightenment" you refer to?????? I am certainly not on board with any of the Bush administrations nutball "enlightenment"

I know who I am and it is certainly not one of you "bushites" that think it is your right to control the world and how other countries like to run their own country.

The primary focus has had to shift from the Soviet Union to a nebulous security threat.  There were serious errors in not predicting the September 2001 attacks.

The biggest gaffe I recall on September 11 was a certain moron who sat on his butt reading a story about a pet goat before running and hiding in Nebraska. Why did Bush hold private citizens accountable, then hold the CIA accountable when no one holds Bush and his cronies accountable?

On this one, I think Bush and the politicians are ahead of the bureaucrats.

I think your essay has scored a perfect zero for political astuteness so far.

Economic power?  In the US, it is dispersed among literally millions of people.  It is impossible to coordinate such power in any meaningful way.

Hmmmm... Guess you never heard of the embargoes against Iraq and Cuba.

Cultural power? Same thing.

Yep, I guess the French are up in arms about nothing.

No single committee or funding agency decides American culture.

Well, DUH... does any nation need a committee to determine its culture?

Political power? I don't know what is meant.

The ability to threaten or bribe nations into signing agreements to not sign on the International Criminal Court?

If it is the power to pass laws or regulations, this is primarily a concern for ordinary Americans since they are most affected.

What about laws or regulations that target foreign countries, like the embargo of Cuba? Now there's an example of political and economic power!

The US Constitution limits severely such political power of the president and the federal congress.

Gee, do you suppose that's why Bush thumbs his nose at the Constitution?

I think it is fair to argue that we have never known a world where economic, political and cultural power was so diffused.

It's fair to argue that Earth is flat and is made of silly putty. Whether people believe you is another matter.

This is all to the good.  The world as a whole benefits from the drafters of the US constitution.

Actually, they're dead.

The US is a product of the Enlightenment and we are all children of the Enlightenment.  So, draw your own conclusion about who we are.

Uh, Renaissance landscape painters?

Are they projecting their power now?

They currently have more than 250,000 troops deployed in 156 countries as well as wold-reaching naval and air power prescnces. So, to answer your question: yes.

The CIA has been undergoing major changes in the past 10 or 15 years, accelerating in the past few years. The primary focus has had to shift from the Soviet Union to a nebulous security threat. There were serious errors in not predicting the September 2001 attacks.

Nuh uh. If the Iraq invasion taught us anything it's that the Bush agenda on intelligence is not geared towards building an apparatus that will keep America safe, but for providing selective intelligence to support a political ideaology.

Economic power? In the US, it is dispersed among literally millions of people. It is impossible to coordinate such power in any meaningful way.

Don't be silly. Ask Cuba about the U.S.'s ability to flex its economic muscle.

Political power? I don't know what is meant. If it is the power to pass laws or regulations, this is primarily a concern for ordinary Americans since they are most affected. The US Constitution limits severely such political power of the president and the federal congress.

I mean political in the broader sense. The economic and military power of the States gives them the clout to get their way in political matters.

This is all to the good. The world as a whole benefits from the drafters of the US constitution.

Meh. the Constitution is only worthwhile so long as it is adhered to.

1 European Union $ 11,050,000,000,000 2004 est.

2 United States $ 10,990,000,000,000 2004 est.

3 China $ 6,449,000,000,000 2004 est

Clearly china does not compete with the U.S economy, the questiosn is then woudl be is the E.U a country, the answer is NO (and don't respond with any of that in the future crap, or I will start argueing that mongolia is the world's superpower). Even then the next question is wether or not Europe is a threat to America.

Clearly china does not compete with the U.S economy, the questiosn is then woudl be is the E.U a country, the answer is NO (and don't respond with any of that in the future crap, or I will start argueing that mongolia is the world's superpower). Even then the next question is wether or not Europe is a threat to America.

Don't be too sure. China is a growing economy; whilst the USA is suffering and up to its ying yang in debt.

August... Sept 11 was predicted by the various Intelligence communities and the President was given a brief
There were many, many briefs. That was the problem. The bureaucrats cover their vitals. The politicians take the heat.
I think you would find citizens of many countries (including Canada) that would disagree, Allowing one nutcase to control that kind of military powers is very dangerous when they do not abide international law as Bush has and is doing.
Caesar, I agree with you. Unfortunately, world history shows that Paul Bernardo nutcases tend to seek power. The US Constitution was drafted in an attempt to stop this. So far, 200 years later, the attempt has worked, sort of. The UN Charter, fifty years later, has singularly failed to do anything except breed corruption. Think about it.
The biggest gaffe I recall on September 11 was a certain moron who sat on his butt reading a story about a pet goat before running and hiding in Nebraska.
I tend to agree. IMV, Bush Jnr is not a moron. He's a coward. (BTW, most of us are.) I think he should have flown back to Washington that morning, despite what the Smurfs around him said. That's what Churchill would have done.
I think your essay has scored a perfect zero for political astuteness so far.
We're all entitled to an opinion. But I disagree with you.

Politicians put their face in the line of fire. Bureaucrats draw their face from membership in a gang.

Are you important because of what you have done or because you are member of a club?

Economic power?  In the US, it is dispersed among literally millions of people.  It is impossible to coordinate such power in any meaningful way.
Hmmmm... Guess you never heard of the embargoes against Iraq and Cuba.
Cuba has shops that accept US dollars, the primary trusted currency of the island. How did the dollars get there? How many cigars sold in America are Cuban?

Iraq embargo? That was UN. Sean Penn went there. So, "embargo"? Let's get serious.

How many Soviets/Albanians/Chinese went to Paris in 1965? How many Americans went to Hanoi/Peking/Moscow?

Cultural power? Same thing.
Yep, I guess the French are up in arms about nothing.
Petit con? Non. Espèce de niaisieux plutôt. IOW, you have no idea.
Well, DUH... does any nation need a committee to determine its culture?
Ever heard of the Canada Council? The CBC? Are you clueless? American?
I think it is fair to argue that we have never known a world where economic, political and cultural power was so diffused.
It's fair to argue that Earth is flat and is made of silly putty. Whether people believe you is another matter.
Huh? Never has our planet had so many humans so free. Hence, our environmental problems.
This is all to the good.  The world as a whole benefits from the drafters of the US constitution.
Actually, they're dead.
The US is a product of the Enlightenment and we are all children of the Enlightenment.  So, draw your own conclusion about who we are.
Uh, Renaissance landscape painters?
I am not American but I have a deep appreciation for the Enlightenment. It is unfortunate that you don't share this appreciation.

Renaissance? Enlightenment? Are you a Dan Rather, clueless American?

They currently have more than 250,000 troops deployed in 156 countries as well as wold-reaching naval and air power prescnces. So, to answer your question: yes.
For the US, this troop deployment is miniscule. They are not an army of occupation. Only the US can do this now, because it is a democracy. We in the West depend on this. Americans should be proud. As did Athens.
The CIA has been undergoing major changes in the past 10 or 15 years, accelerating in the past few years. The primary focus has had to shift from the Soviet Union to a nebulous security threat. There were serious errors in not predicting the September 2001 attacks.
Nuh uh. If the Iraq invasion taught us anything it's that the Bush agenda on intelligence is not geared towards building an apparatus that will keep America safe, but for providing selective intelligence to support a political ideaology.
BD, you don't get the political/bureaucratic dance.

The politicians take the risk; the bureaucrats don't. Sometimes the politicians are wrong. In this case, I think they're right.

Don't be silly. Ask Cuba about the U.S.'s ability to flex its economic muscle.
BD, the strength of the US federal president is the admission of what is possible - and not more.
Meh. the Constitution is only worthwhile so long as it is adhered to.
Is it adhered to now?

IMV, the drafters were smart White European guys. (But I notice there were no Blacks nor Chinese among them. I have always been suspicious of a homogeneous room.)

The Constitution is only worthwhile so long as it is adhered to.
I agree. But the US Constitution has lasted for over 200 years.

But where do ordinary people benefit most. In so-called civilized countries with so-called long histories? For example, China, India, Europe?

Let's be honest. Ordinary people have benefited most and lived best in America - the New World.

Think.

1 European Union $ 11,050,000,000,000 2004 est.

2 United States $ 10,990,000,000,000 2004 est.

3 China $ 6,449,000,000,000 2004 est

The success of a country is not its GDP.

Moreover, these stats don't give foreign trade figures. (But foreign trade is not a measure of success either.)

Is the goal to be the richest cadavre in the graveyard? Leave the largest pyramid? The most kids? (How many kids has Conrad Black left?)

Caesar, I agree with you. Unfortunately, world history shows that Paul Bernardo nutcases tend to seek power. The US Constitution was drafted in an attempt to stop this. So far, 200 years later, the attempt has worked, sort of. The UN Charter, fifty years later, has singularly failed to do anything except breed corruption. Think about it.

No, I would say it has had a big failure. Bush.

The corruption and inability of the UN is due to those countries with a veto misusing the veto for political purpose plus the failure of the USA to pay its dues in a timely fashion. Peace keeping and gumanitarian work costs money NOW not just when the USA and other dead beat countries pay up when seeking approval for dubious plans

I think most people would agree that George W. Bush is one incredibly lucky SOB. I still can't believe what he got away with during his first four years in the White House. I find it very, very hard to believe his luck will hold out for another four years.

The man's going down. Which isn't to say right-wing religious kooks or spineless liberals will ever hold Bush accountable, but the United States in general is headed for a big fall, and Bush will at least get much of the credit.

Hi Maple Bear missed you. Hope you had a good Christmas Break. I think you are right about Bush going down. I think he won as Americans felt that they needed to vote for him to show support for the troops. I wouldn't be very happy if any of my children were shipped over there. I would WANT to believe that they are risking their lives in defense of their country not for one of Bush's little side shows that will cause more terrorism than it prevents. It really was hard to believe that he could have been re-elected after all the things he was found to be fabricating. Why was there no fuss from the Americans over the Pakistani scientist selling nuclear technologies and parts to "rogue " nations. Nothing was said when the Pakistani Prime Minister pardoned the scientists. Then the USA just a few weeks later made Pakistan a favoured ally for purchasing modern warfare weapons. Just does not make sense to me>

"Hi Maple Bear missed you. Hope you had a good Christmas Break."

Thanks, same to you.

"It really was hard to believe that he could have been re-elected after all the things he was found to be fabricating."

Yes. But the entire election system is corrupt - including the voters. I ran for state office here in Washington, and I was utterly floored at the dirty tricks I encountered - primarily at the hands of Democrats! Liberal Seattle reeks just as bad as Washington, D. C. or Houston, Texas.

Sadly, I STILL don't see any real resistance forming. I just recently read a post on Democratic Underground suggesting liberals should get geared up for the elections in 2006. What about THIS YEAR??? There are ALWAYS some kind of offices up for grabs, and we need to win some local victories - city councils, school boards, etc. But no one will talk about it. And I understand John Kerry is promoting himself as the frontrunner for 2008. That little quisling ought to be handed over to the Iraqis.

There is the same corruptions here; in BC we even had a raid on the legislature; drug dealing was found and influence peddling by ministerial aides; Two top ministers; one a relative of the charged and the other being the one who hired at least one of these characters.

There are all sorts of shenanigans that go on and will until people learn to get involved and make sure everything is disclosed. That is why I sometimes think a benevolent dictatorship would be economically better. Many people seem to believe that democracy only is in force once every 4 years or so on voting day. They diss politicians when they adjust their actions to meet the approval of the people.

No, I would say it has had a big failure. Bush.
Bush jnr? This is the "worst" failure you have found? Do you know American history?
The corruption and inability of the UN is due to those countries with a veto misusing the veto for political purpose plus the failure of the USA to pay its dues in a timely fashion.
Huh? What happens if the US simply pulls out of the UN? Then what? (Have you ever considered a world based on voluntary relations?)
You are behind the times; American dollars are no longer acceptable in Cuba; Canadian dollars are still accepted.
Eh? WTF? Have you ever been to Cuba? Do you know anything about the place? (US dollars, not acceptable, gimme a break.) Wake up, smell the coffee. People trust free/black markets. Free/black markets tell the truth. Confused? Think about it.
I think most people would agree that George W. Bush is one incredibly lucky SOB. I still can't believe what he got away with during his first four years in the White House. I find it very, very hard to believe his luck will hold out for another four years.
Obvious answer?

Gretchen Wilson's Redneck Woman video

The American Left really doesn't get it.

Dear August1991,

You are behind the times; American dollars are no longer acceptable in Cuba; Canadian dollars are still accepted.

Eh? WTF? Have you ever been to Cuba? Do you know anything about the place? (US dollars, not acceptable, gimme a break.)

I believe the reference is to the recent crackdown against the usage of the US greenback in Cuba. How effective it will be is another story.