1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

"The court"?

This was a jury trial. Can you explain what you mean by the court? Was there something in Justice Martel Popescul's instructions to the jury you object to?

T^he courts have spoken. There will be an appeal.

I was responding to Omni's statement.  The 'court' includes the jury, btw.

7 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Agreed. The jury however thought there was reasonable doubt that the shooting was intentional (ie. it could have been accidental) so they decided against a charge of second degree murder.

I'm not sure if culpable homicide was even considered, but given the circumstances my guess is it would be considered non-culpable. Responsibility in this case is up to the individual to take, not the court to mandate.

------

A person commits culpable homicide when he causes the death of a human being,

• (a) by means of an unlawful act;

• (b) by criminal negligence;

• (c) by causing that human being, by threats or fear of violence or by deception, to do anything that causes his death; or

• (d) by wilfully frightening that human being, in the case of a child or sick person.

The death of Colten Boushie was the direct result of Colten Boushie and four other aboriginal criminals on a drunken crime spree coming onto the private property of a farmer and conducting criminal activity including use of deadly weapons (both vehicle and rifle) that could reasonably be construed as a threat to the life and property of the farmer and his family.

Now explain to me why the other four in that SUV were not charged with culpable homicide?  (see (a) and (c) above)    Let me answer that for you...THEY WERE ABORIGINALS WHO CAN DO NO WRONG. (atl least that is precisely what the CBC and Liberal government are clearly saying).

I happen to have a rural farm in SK, and the occurence of aboriginal (and non-aboriginal) thieves observing property for the sole purpose of identifying when the property owners are not home to break into homes and shops to steal everything and anything they feel they could sell, drink or smoke.  That alone is a constant concern.  When you escalate that to intoxicated, armed thieves you can imagine what your options might be - you going to call the RCMP who are at least a half hour away?   Yeah, right.

Edited by cannuck
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Omni said:

So if you're drunk and in the worong place as is your interpretation, it's OK to shoot you in the head. Are you a fucking American?

Excuse me but I understand they admitted to breaking into the neighbours and then came to his farm. They rolled the dice and lost.

3 hours ago, cannuck said:

The death of Colten Boushie was the direct result of... blah blah blah

I guess you don't comprehend what direct means. Linking up a billion different possible scenarios and saying what happened was direct displays a complete ignorance of reality.

The jury, based on the evidence presented and instruction given, found that Stanley was not culpable in the death of Boushie. Everything else is politics - from everyone on all sides.

• Like 1

Armed thugs enter property to steal and start an altercation...   one gets shot.   What a shocker!!  :rolleyes:

The kid didn’t deserve to die, and the farmer didn’t deserve to be charged with murder.  Sucks all around I’d say....   but the whole racism angle is silly rhetoric.  

And the PM tweeting about it is in the same league as Trump.  It makes it seem he thinks the farmer should be in jail for life and the jury was wrong in their verdict.   The PM shouldn’t have gotten involved. 

ETA:

the title of this thread is moronic. 

And conservatives who condemn Trudeau for his tweet but not Trump are hypocrites.  As far as the tweet from Trudeau goes, it was fairly innocuous but still innapropriate. 

Edited by The_Squid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Armed thugs enter property to steal and start an altercation...   one gets shot.   What a shocker!!  :rolleyes:

The kid didn’t deserve to die, and the farmer didn’t deserve to be charged with murder.  Sucks all around I’d say....   but the whole racism angle is silly rhetoric.  

And the PM tweeting about it is in the same league as Trump.  It makes it seem he thinks the farmer should be in jail for life and the jury was wrong in their verdict.   The PM shouldn’t have gotten involved. 

This was a short, but well-reasoned response, squid. Knowing what you know about this case, what would you have done if you were Stanley on that unfortunate day? A situation I wouldn't wish for any law-abiding citizen on his or her own property.

I also heard that Stanley had to pretty much sell off his farm to pay legal costs. His life will not be better. I can't confirm that though.

14 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, expressing sorrow for the grief a family is having with the death of their son is unacceptable. 

Did he do that when he died? Does he do this when other ordinary people die? Reading between the lines of this trial coverage what we had were a group of drunken young natives who went to his farm and tried to steal things, rooting around in another car there and then getting on and trying to start up his ATV. I don't have a good idea from the coverage of what excuse he had for getting his gun. I didn't read anything which said he feared for his life, for example, which seems odd since it must have been there somewhere. Then it went off by accident. I don't believe that for a moment. And even if it did you're still responsible if you are pointing it at someone without a very, very, VERY good excuse. The only excuse I know of is fear that they were an imminent threat. The coverage is confusing on that point. It says when the door of the SUV was opened Bouchy tumbled out, with a loaded rifle between his legs. 

I think the jury basically thought he was justified in shooting the guy, regardless of what the law said. I don't think this has a racial angle. I don't think he would have behaved any differently had it been five white people instead of five natives. And I don't think the jury would have either.

14 hours ago, ?Impact said:

No I don't. Compassion for a family and community that is devastated is not wrong. What is wrong is interfering in the judicial system, and only the previous Prime Minister did that.

Are the families and communities of other thieves who are killed not also devastated and should they not also be gifted with Trudeau's compassion?

Or was this just paternalistic virtue signaling to the native community?

Edited by Argus

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

Reading between the lines of this trial coverage what we had were a group of drunken young natives who went to his farm and tried to steal things, rooting around in another car there and then getting on and trying to start up his ATV.

You can read between the lines all you want, but remember that is not how the judicial process operates.

1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

You can read between the lines all you want, but remember that is not how the judicial process operates.

Juries are often the wild card in the judicial system. Regardless of whether the letter of the law says he's guilty of manslaughter if the jury feels it would be wrong to send him to jail they can decide to vote not guilty and claim they believed his story.

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Juries are often the wild card in the judicial system. Regardless of whether the letter of the law says he's guilty of manslaughter if the jury feels it would be wrong to send him to jail they can decide to vote not guilty and claim they believed his story.

If you go on Twitter, and look at #justiceforcoltenboushie, you will see where this could lead. I sometimes wonder if "tolerant" Canada is in trouble.

51 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

ETA:

And conservatives who condemn Trudeau for his tweet but not Trump are hypocrites.  As far as the tweet from Trudeau goes, it was fairly innocuous but still innapropriate. 

I didn't know what to title it. Should have placed subject links. But it expresses my own disgust at who I believe is responsible for the very 'racism' ( and 'sexism') that is caused from our Constitution's forceful cultural puritanical laws [Multiculturalism] disguised as communal-love when it implicitly presents and fosters more hatred only. 

• Confused 1

BTW, I was thinking of showing up at the courthouse here in Saskatoon today but was already up all night and couldn't do it. The problem requires independent people (not groups with any alternative cultural stance) who is brave enough to try to go up, speak, and question these people when rallied like this. I'm not sure if I went that it would have been even possible or if I would have even been brave enough to do so. I'll try to look for another better opportunity. I'm sure there will be more.

2 hours ago, The_Squid said:

ETA:

Exactly right Squid. Down to the word.

5 hours ago, ?Impact said:

I guess you don't comprehend what direct means. Linking up a billion different possible scenarios and saying what happened was direct displays a complete ignorance of reality.

The jury, based on the evidence presented and instruction given, found that Stanley was not culpable in the death of Boushie. Everything else is politics - from everyone on all sides.

I did not infer a billion possibilities, I just cited one fact:  they all were involved in committing a violent crime - the DIRECT result of which was the death of one of the criminals. I would not pretend to know diddly squat about criminal law, and I assume that there is some sort of legal dictionary definition of what "direct" is supposed to mean, but in the English language, that is what would apply.   My inference is to the LEOs and crown prosecutor, not the trial of Stanley - which I agree reached their verdict exactly as you say.

The rest may be politics to you, but to those of us preyed upon by the "First Nations", it is reality.

3 hours ago, The_Squid said:

Ok, I can accept this criticism. However in regard to Trudeau and this case, it involves a murder and is a Canadian issue. Trump issues are more at arms length, doesn't really matter much, and no one's been murdered (yet...)

Edited by OftenWrong

So if anyone watched the evening news, which I just caught. CTV and Global both had long stories on this, focusing on the 'outrage' and grief of Boushie's family, and the outrage of natives around the country calling for the justice system to be reformed. Here's what had no place in either story.

The four were drunk

They had just robbed a truck on the next farm

One of them was rummaging in a truck they found on the farm to see what he could steal

Another got onto an ATV and tried to start it

Boushie was in possession of a rifle

Several of the native witnesses admitted lying.

I guess none of that was deemed important for people to know.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

Don't worry....just keep spending more time pointing at Trump and those "racist" Americans while ignoring the cultural conflicts and "cesspool" conditions back home.   This has always worked in the past, regardless of the issue.    Trudeau celebrates diversity while being very divisive at the same time...a true political talent.

Never waste a good crisis....

35 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I also read it wasn't widely reported that an RCMP forensics firearms expert testified on Thursday that tests showed the gun couldn't be fired without pulling the trigger. .

That was not his claim. His claim was he fired warning shots and the third shot was a misfire. Ie, it did not fire when he pulled the trigger, but then fired a few seconds later.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I guess none of that was deemed important for people to know.

Nor were the inconsistencies in Stanley's testimony either. You are trying to retry a case with only part of the story. It is correct to report on the outcome, and not list details, especially when they are one sided like you are presenting.