Olympics PyeongChang 2018 - you are excited

RB

I love the winter Olympics. It's the only time I can say I'm happy to live in a northern country cause our athletes do so well in those games. Go Canada! I don't like winter and the cold. As for the anthem, most people don't know the words anyway so the minor change to the lyrics won't be noticed by too many Canadians.

• Like 1

Opening Ceremony Friday Feb. 9 , beginning at 5:30 a.m. ET - The CBC wants you to rise and shine, maybe come down to Union Station and celebrate :)

From the CBC newsroom - join them

Canadian Broadcasting Centre (250 Front St. W.) over a free pancake breakfast including a caffeinated beverage of choice, with doors opening at 5 a.m. ET. PyeongChang 2018. 

• Thanks 1

It appears this Olympics are amongst the best prepared by the host Country.  Everything has been ready early with no worries, unlike past Olympics where the paint was still drying as the participants were arriving.  

I am also happy the NHLers are not going.  Despite being a fan, I am glad that the other athletes will be getting more attention.

The NHL wants the world cup to take root as the most competitive international tournament and therefore they don't want any rival-tournament. Olympics with the biggest stars would make mockery of the world cup, after all, olympics is always olympics.

They said in the news that all Finns will participate in the downhill ski-competition. I am wondering now should I inform the IOC that I really have no time to participate that competition as I have other things to do.

4 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I beg to differ. The women's hockey team today showed this outstanding skill, and this tournament has just started. Not having NHL'ers will also make it more interesting.

Women’s hockey is uncompetitive.  Men’s hockey won’t have the best in the world...   not even close.

I’ll save my excitement for the biathalon.  

59 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Noncompetitive? Clearly you haven't seen Team Canada vs Team USA.

Ummm...   that’s what non competitive means...   there are only 2 countries that can compete.   The rest are awful.   Makes for boring competitions. 

7 hours ago, The_Squid said:

Ummm...   that’s what non competitive means...   there are only 2 countries that can compete.   The rest are awful.   Makes for boring competitions. 

No, noncompetitive is when there is only one team that dominates. Also, the groups have been reorganized to make it more competitive. Group A has Canada, USA, Finland and OAR. Those are very competitive teams. In men's hockey there will be no NHL players, again levelling the playing field.

There doesn't seem to be any one dominant country in winter-sports; In 2002 Norway topped the medal-table, in 2006 Germany, in 2010 Canada was the most successful country in their own games and similarly in 2014 Russia took most medals in their home-games..

11 hours ago, The_Squid said:

Women’s hockey is uncompetitive.  Men’s hockey won’t have the best in the world...   not even close.

I’ll save my excitement for the biathalon.  

Biathlon is very entertaining sport; no matter how fast you ski but if your hand shakes when it comes to shooting your competition is ruined.

4 hours ago, Boges said:

The problem with Women's Hockey is that it's essentially a two team tournament. 

I don't see that as a problem with women's hockey, just that the other countries need to step up. What I do love about women's hockey is the opportunity to watch it with my daughters. Especially when they were young it was an inspiration for them. Team Canada and USA are so good they could blow away most men's teams, including NHL. To me, that isn't a problem either.

22 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Team Canada and USA are so good they could blow away most men's teams, including NHL. To me, that isn't a problem either.

That's objectively laughable. 

The best women's hockey player ever Hayley Wickenheiser did play with men. . . in an obscure Finnish league.