Who should the Ontario PCs pick as their next leadership candidate

Who should the Ontario PCs pick as their next leader?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Ontario PCs pick as their next leader?

• Christine Elliott
    • Vic Fedeli
    • Lisa MacLeod
    • Caroline Mulroney
    • Doug Ford
    • Steve Clark
    • Rod Phillips
    • other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2018 at 04:00 AM

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) It's noted that brutal comments related to peoples' religion aren't important to you.  To many Ontarians,  it is. 

2) And - the #1 issue we are facing in the west today is unity, the lack of it, and the root cause of broken political systems.  You have some able candidates in the PC party who can make economic adjustments to the province (a keystone and important Conservative value) without stoking the fires of culture war.  Many people love to see the culture wars in the public forum, but it is destructive from both sides and takes energy and focus from the important tasks of today.

3) That's all I have to say on it, as the PCs aren't my party.  Good luck with it.

1) Gee thanks for the cheap shot. I never said that, and I don't know what you mean by brutal, or which Ontarians you are referring to. If any candidate has made "brutal" comments, I'd like to know about them. 

2) The left is just as responsible for the lack of unity as the right. Kathleen Wynne has engaged in her own form of culture war complete with driven agenda.

3) If they're not your party, then I guess you can't be taken seriously when you try to provide advice on who is an "able candidate". 

5 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1) Gee thanks for the cheap shot. I never said that, and I don't know what you mean by brutal, or which Ontarians you are referring to. If any candidate has made "brutal" comments, I'd like to know about them. 

2) The left is just as responsible for the lack of unity as the right. Kathleen Wynne has engaged in her own form of culture war complete with driven agenda.

3) If they're not your party, then I guess you can't be taken seriously when you try to provide advice on who is an "able candidate". 

1) You yourself said "It's not important".  

2) I don't really disagree.  There are also righties who can unite like mayor John Tory.

3) I'm sure not working against them.  I would like there to be a unifying government - Liberal or Conservative.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) You yourself said "It's not important".  

Dumb comments shown on a comedy video are not important. If by "brutal" you mean stupid, as opposed to brutal like Stalin, Hitler, or antisemitic brutal, then yes. Stupid is not important. Not particularly eloquent in front of the microphone is not a game changer. Ability to lead, ability to WIN... that is.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:45 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Did you watch it?  It's a video of Doug Ford and his clan talking Judism.

So? You guys don't get that this 'every-man' demeanor of the Fords is what people like. So he mispronounces Judaism. So? So he's not mister intellectual or mister sophisticated. So? People LIKE that.  He's still a hell of a lot smarter and more restrained than that idiot Trump so I think he could manage the province. It would be an interesting time, though, full of gaffes. 

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

1. You guys don't get that this 'every-man' demeanor of the Fords is what people like.

2. So he mispronounces Judaism. So? So he's not mister intellectual or mister sophisticated. So? People LIKE that. 

1.  I'm just answering your question.  You can say 'so ?' now, and the answer is 'because you wanted to know my reasons'

2.  I concur that Doug Ford has locked down the prized "mispronunciators" vote.

Edited by Michael Hardner

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

1.  I'm just answering your question.  You can say 'so ?' now, and the answer is 'because you wanted to know my reasons'

2.  I concur that Doug Ford has locked down the prized "mispronunciators" vote.

But Ford speaks a lot clearer than trudeau.

42 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Looks like the Dumb asses are winning

Ford is a flawed man, but he speaks to the common man the way most politicians do not. That is his success. He does not talk down to people, and he does not talk around a question. That leads him to stick his foot in his mouth at times, the way a smoother, more polished politician would not, but a lot of people seem to be willing to accept that. and the only real alternative was Elliot and there's never been much enthusiasm for her.

Edited by Argus

6 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

I hear they are still counting ballots, 1300 are being disputed. Yes Ford appears to have won, but I haven't seen an official declaration.

I doubt a recount will change the final result. It's unfortunate, but a candidate who wins by a mere 20 or 200 votes is still the winner.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:18 AM, August1991 said:

Doug Ford will not be leader of Ontario's Conservative Party.

Heck, Doug Ford is no Rob Ford - let alone a Donald Trump.

======

The Ontario PCs have a major modern problem, common to all parliamentary democracies:

1) to survive, a leader needs the support of caucus

2) to become leader (nowadays), a politician needs the support of party members

======

Patrick Brown managed to win 2) but he never managed 1).

Vic Federeli has 1) but I doubt whether he has 2).

I was dead wrong about Doug Ford.

3 hours ago, ?Impact said:

No, you were wrong about OPC members.

I reckoned that Ontario Conservative party members would never choose someone from Toronto as a party leader.

Well, they apparently just did. Based on a voting system biased against, heck, someone from Toronto.

====

Paul Wells, take note. Doug Ford is from Toronto. Donald Trump is from New York.

Those city people, you can never trust them.... 

Edited by August1991