Questions for my project

I was wondering what laws would apply with finding a spot in the forest and building a little log cabin (outside of National/provincial parks) and what that would mean for land rights? Do the old 1995 squatting rights still come into play? And what if it is crown land not owned by anyone? Also it would be wonderful if someone provided a link or something showing the locations and maps of the provincial and national parks of Alberta/BC, I cannot seem to find one. Thanks!

Edited by PeteThePlumber

3 hours ago, PeteThePlumber said:

I was wondering what laws would apply with finding a spot in the forest and building a little log cabin (outside of National/provincial parks) and what that would mean for land rights? Do the old 1995 squatting rights still come into play?

I wouldn't recommend building a cabin on private or crown land, regardless of squatting rights, because they usually only apply after a long period of time. If you are caught before the time, you can be held liable for all damages and face trespassing charges. The time varies by province, but is generally a large number of years (10-20). Usually you need to do something significant (e.g. build a cabin), and possess it continually for a period of time. Note that you do not automatically get an entire plot, if you build a cabin then all you can expect is the land the cabin is on and maybe a bit around it and possibly a right of way to it. If you fence in some land, and farm it then you might have claim to a larger tract of land. If you regularly cut firewood, then you might gain part of the forest that you have been cutting in, etc.

Edited by ?Impact

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2018 at 12:49 PM, PeteThePlumber said:

I was wondering what laws would apply with finding a spot in the forest and building a little log cabin (outside of National/provincial parks) and what that would mean for land rights? Do the old 1995 squatting rights still come into play? And what if it is crown land not owned by anyone? Also it would be wonderful if someone provided a link or something showing the locations and maps of the provincial and national parks of Alberta/BC, I cannot seem to find one. Thanks!

1. Its dangerous to try get free legal advice on an internet political forum site. What next you want to have people diagnose if you have a brain tumour?

2. How could you not find provincial parks on the internet? All you had to do was type in "provincial parks Canada"?

I doubt you would build anything. I do see you though as someone who is a lazy sob and has a idea he wants to trespass now and take  over someone's cabin that they don't live in all the time.

Peekaboo I know you. Careful now,. Sounds like someone is going to load your butt full of buckshot. 

Edited by Rue