The Windsors (3 lines) TV Show - What's everyone's opinion?

August1991

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The real thing is even more interesting, as in the courtship and purposeful manipulation of Elizabeth for marriage beginning at only 13 years of age.   Greece's Prince Philip maneuvered into position with help from his uncle Louis Mountbatten, and a battle ensued to keep the House of Tudor name.

"Mountbatten" was in fact an anglicised "Battenberg".

And Windsor is a complete invention: her grandfather's name was in fact "Saxo-Cobourg" - utterly changed, like Ontario's Kitchener.

BTW, I once visited the small place in Cobourg, Germany where Victoria went on holiday. The guide told me that Margaret and Andrew had visited - Elizabeth, not. It reminded me of Yalta. Versailles splendour? Not at all. The vacation, private life of European royalty in the late 19th century is comparable to wealthy Ontario cottage - barely Newport, RI.

In Newport, rich Americans understood that a summer place was to invite. Not impress. Years before, Frederick the Great sort-of did that at Sans Souci.

====

"Tudor"? "Henry VII"? He was a gangster. Like Joseph P. Kennedy, he created a dynasty.

The name "Tudor" is a fraud, like Bernie Madoff. But so-called Henry VII created the name Tudor, Joseph P created the name Kennedy and Bernie created the name NASDAQ.

The future will decide whose ego will live longest.

Edited by August1991

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2018 at 11:54 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

I like how The Windsors portrays the minor royals, like Beatrice & Eugene, the daughers of Andrew & Fergie. Wow, I hope they aren't like that in real life.

God knows how this TV series will deal with this new addition (Red haired prince & Markle) to the British royal family.

=====

To those monarchist defenders of "tradition", I ask: do you realize how "British Royalty" has become "Kardashian"?

I prefer sustainable States.

• 5 months later...
On 3/23/2018 at 10:51 PM, August1991 said:

====

"Tudor"? "Henry VII"? He was a gangster. Like Joseph P. Kennedy, he created a dynasty.

The name "Tudor" is a fraud, like Bernie Madoff. But so-called Henry VII created the name Tudor, Joseph P created the name Kennedy and Bernie created the name NASDAQ.

Tudor was the Anglicization of the Welsh family Tudur. Henry was born in Wales, son of Edmund Tudor, Earl of Richmond. Owen Tudor, son of Maredudd ap Tudur was Henry VII's grandfather. 

Monarchies back then had quite a bit in common with mafia families.

9 hours ago, Wilber said:

Tudor was the Anglicization of the Welsh family Tudur. Henry was born in Wales, son of Edmund Tudor, Earl of Richmond. Owen Tudor, son of Maredudd ap Tudur was Henry VII's grandfather. 

Tudur? Tudor?

Never heard such a translation.

====

Make no mistake, "Henry VII" was an Italian Godfather.

Whatta guy!

====

America, decent, honest, good = still here. 

Edited by August1991

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 1:36 PM, Wilber said:

You should watch The Borgias! They're the original crime family.

• 2 years later...
On 1/23/2019 at 12:13 AM, JamesHackerMP said:

You should watch The Borgias! They're the original crime family.

Here's my point:

The Americans wrote a constitution that has existed for over two centuries. They created a society where power is passed peacefully between opponents without death.

China, Russia, India, France have not done that. Even the UK has not done this. Indeed, no society has done this - except America. (Maybe Switzerland. Or the Netherlands.)

====

As a Canadian, several times I have stood beside a Frenchwoman and an American - who doesn't speak French. I have pointed out that America's republic has lasted longer than her five republics.

I have reminded people from China that their language is one thing, but their method of choosing leaders another.

Chou En Lai famously said to Kissinger: "We have yet to decide whether the French revolution is sustainable."

Well, America has lasted longer than Sun Yat Sen and Mao Tse Dong.

When this guy Xi (or Putin) hands over power like Trump handed the keys to the White House to Biden (despite what MSNBC says, Trump did), I'll believe that China (or Russia) are sustainable.

Edited by August1991

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

1. The Americans wrote a constitution that has existed for over two centuries. They created a society where power is passed peacefully between opponents without death.

China, Russia, India, France have not done that. Even the UK has not done this. Indeed, no society has done this - except America. (Maybe Switzerland. Or the Netherlands.)

====

2. When this guy Xi (or Putin) hands over power like Trump handed the keys to the White House to Biden (despite what MSNBC says, Trump did), I'll believe that China (or Russia) are sustainable.

1. OK, but every dog has his day.  France overthrew the monarchy.  Russia's revolution also changed how the world looked at power.  The UK reformed the monarchy relatively peacefully, and China reformed Communism.

2. Trump wants to be Putin and may yet be him.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:57 AM, Cannucklehead said:

The americans did not create that, they merely adopted the concept from ancient Greece.  

No one speaks ancient Greek nowadays, but the Greek alphabet still exists.

For how many centuries did Christian Greeks and Bulgarians survive? This is what I mean by sustainability.

=====

Richard Dawkins is an avowed atheist. But his belief is not sustainable.

• 10 months later...
On 3/23/2018 at 10:51 PM, August1991 said:

"Mountbatten" was in fact an anglicised "Battenberg".

And Windsor is a complete invention: her grandfather's name was in fact "Saxo-Cobourg" - utterly changed, like Ontario's Kitchener.

BTW, I once visited the small place in Cobourg, Germany where Victoria went on holiday. The guide told me that Margaret and Andrew had visited - Elizabeth, not. It reminded me of Yalta. Versailles splendour? Not at all. The vacation, private life of European royalty in the late 19th century is comparable to wealthy Ontario cottage - barely Newport, RI.

In Newport, rich Americans understood that a summer place was to invite. Not impress. Years before, Frederick the Great sort-of did that at Sans Souci.

====

The Tudors were an ancient Welsh family. Henry VII was a descendent through his mother. Most royal dynasties were gangsters back then.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:58 AM, Michael Hardner said:

1. OK, but every dog has his day.  France overthrew the monarchy.  Russia's revolution also changed how the world looked at power.  The UK reformed the monarchy relatively peacefully, and China reformed Communism.

2. Trump wants to be Putin and may yet be him.

25 years after their revolution, the French made Napoleon emperor. The Trump Cult would like to do the same.

On 9/18/2022 at 4:46 PM, Aristides said:

25 years after their revolution, the French made Napoleon emperor. The Trump Cult would like to do the same.

Gimme a break.

Napoleon = Trump?

======

The figurehead Charles III became monarch when his mother Elizabeth II died. Death decides State rule.

Or like Russia, Yeltsin chooses Putin.

Make no mistake, what makes you Americans great is that you established a way to pass State power peacefully between living people who hate each other.

==

John Adams surrendered to Jefferson.

Trump gave up power to Biden. Peacefully.

Everyone in the world knows that Trump hates Biden, Trump was president: now he's not.

Edited by August1991

On 9/22/2022 at 10:18 AM, Aristides said:

Trump isn’t Napoleon but he would like to be....

I disagree. IMHO, at most, Trump is a buffoon. He's no Napoleon or Hitler.

But like the summer of 1914, the sinking of the Titanic, this rich American guy, Trump is sending us all a warning.

====

The elite wants one thing - and the rest of us will suffer.

Edited by August1991

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

But like the summer of 1914, the sinking of the Titanic, this rich American guy, Trump is sending us all a warning.

====

Idi Amin, Mussolini, Hitler were all laughed at too 

The elite have been running the show since forever.  If you want a better deal, then you have to ask for one.

We used to reward Fords and Edisons ... nowadays John Rockefeller wouldn't make the list of top fifty billionaires, adjusted for inflation.

Don't rail about the elites if you think that the status quo is the only alternative.

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

====

I said he would like to be Napoleon. He couldn't hold Napoleon's horse.

• Greg changed the title to The Windsors (3 lines) TV Show - What's everyone's opinion?
  • 3 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 6:41 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Idi Amin, Mussolini, Hitler were all laughed at too 

The elite have been running the show since forever.  If you want a better deal, then you have to ask for one.

''''

What a thread drift:

Mussolini and Hitler were post 1918. (Idi Amin? Huh? He died in Saudi Arabia....)

======

Michael,

IMHO, this new 21st century elite is like the late 19th century elite that lead ordinary people into the disaster of 1914.

These so-called experts in Washington and Brussels in 2010 remind me of the advisors in Vienna and Berlin in 1910.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1