Iran needs some democracy

GostHacked

40 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Only because you don't have any. You've demonstrated this lack before so...

You are the company you keep. If you keep company with toxic people, there's a great chance your company becomes toxic. That's why you should choose your company wisely.

56 minutes ago, Marocc said:

That doesn't make any sense.

Is there a reason they would want the help of their enemy? They have God, they don't want America, which doesn't have any particular abilities anyway. While Russia is going to help Italy, but they have an old friendship.

God doesn't seem to be even as helpful as America could be, given the number of cases and deaths Iran has experienced.  When will people give up on the notion that there's a God cares about them at all?

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/iran-coronavirus-death-toll-rises-to-1-685/1774858

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dialamah said:

God doesn't seem to be even as helpful as America could be, given the number of cases and deaths Iran has experienced.  When will people give up on the notion that there's a God cares about them at all?

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/iran-coronavirus-death-toll-rises-to-1-685/1774858

This is true.  If there is a God, and it created people, then it created the virus too.  Maybe it likes the virus more. 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:14 AM, dialamah said:

God doesn't seem to be even as helpful as America could be, given the number of cases and deaths Iran has experienced. 

For an atheist you have a particularly strict definition of what God is and what God wants.

having difficulties and dying are not necessarily a sign of God's non-existence nor of His displeasure. Having an easy life is not necessarily a sign of His non-existence nor of His pleasure.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 5:15 PM, Marocc said:

That doesn't make any sense.

Is there a reason they would want the help of their enemy? They have God, they don't want America, which doesn't have any particular abilities anyway. While Russia is going to help Italy, but they have an old friendship.

This show how little you know about this evil regime. They feed on hate and war ever since the clerical coup . They create enemies to survive. and they don't care how many will die. They are the ones who sent children to cross minefields and they are the ones who kill in thousands to survive like a virus. Much worse and more dangerous than coronavirus.

Iran nation is in dire conditions but they will survive and come out victorious at the end as their 25 century survival is an evidence of such prediction which includes many invasions by barbarians like Arabs 14 centuries ago, Moguls and finally Islamic clerical invasion 40 years ago. They all survive these disaster and Iran (Persia) still remains intact and solid and will over come this latest disaster (Islamic clerical coup) as well.

The poor defenseless nation of Iran has been through so many disasters past 40 years starting with the Islamic clerical coup in 1979, New regime oppressions, Iraq invasion, mass executions, economic downturns, natural disasters like earthquakes and floods, sanctions, regime executions and tortures and lastly Coronavirus that they now have become resistance against the worse human disaster of the past century which is coronavirus.

https://theprovince.com/opinion/lotfi-in-iran-covid-19-is-just-another-crisis-to-survive/wcm/eb9265ff-eace-4bf4-9052-4dfda303c69c

On 3/25/2020 at 6:50 AM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

This show how little you know about this evil regime. They feed on hate and war ever since the clerical coup . They create enemies to survive. and they don't care how many will die. They are the ones who sent children to cross minefields and they are the ones who kill in thousands to survive like a virus. Much worse and more dangerous than coronavirus.

The current regime was supported by the US, without its help it may never have come to be. With the very best of intentions in the west regarding Iran are those who do not care at all what happens there.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 8:56 PM, eyeball said:

Apparently the prospect of democracy was so completely unreasonable in Iran in 1953 that we actually went out of our way to prevent it.

Strange but true.

The French dragged us into Indochina  and the British into Iran. We should have intervened in Iran by offering to make up the lost revenues from the British Petroleum fields that Mossadegh was naitonalizing, maybe by a low-interest long-term loan, and then in turn should have offered support to Mossadegh, who would have run into problems with the Mullahs later.

A good understanding of this situation can be had from Daniel Yergin's The Prize  -- a history of the role of oil in the 20th Century.

As for Iran now, someone said it: the urban middle class are like Europeans, the rural peasantry are like Muslim rednecks. But ... the mullahs want a strong modern country, so they're trying to industrialize and educate, thus turning their ignorant base -- or their children -- into modern men.  We have to encourage this process -- here, as in other areas, we have to play the long game, looking ahead 25 or 50 years.

Above all, we have to free ourselves of the addiction to interfering directly in other countries' internal affairs, especially via our military. 

We have to shake off the chains of empire.

5 minutes ago, Tdot said:

When I look around, am I wrong, that it appears we have long beat the dinosaurs?

No, we never actually competed.  You're getting dinosaurs mixed up with dodos and passenger pigeons.

6 minutes ago, Tdot said:

Okay, I can respect that.  And feel free to give some examples of where I can find these invincible dinosaurs today.

You won't be able to.  They lasted a hundred million years or so then died out.  Feel free to point at me and laugh when we have lasted a hundred million years.

33 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You won't be able to.  They lasted a hundred million years or so then died out.  Feel free to point at me and laugh when we have lasted a hundred million years.

Oh, okay. I didn't know that that is what you were referring to here.

IMHO we do not have a reliable way of knowing how long any dinosaur did actually, live, as I only see scientists gauging how long ago it was that dinosaurs walked on the Earth.  There's a big difference, true?

For example, what if dinosaurs are no different than today's reptiles ---when they die off after 20-30-40 years? It might mean that although this dinosaur mortality rate did happen, millions of years ago, it does not change how that mortality rate means the avg dinosaur's life was not longer than the avg humans' life is today.

Edited by Tdot

20 minutes ago, Tdot said:

Oh, okay. I didn't know that that is what you were referring to here.

IMHO we do not have a reliable way of knowing how long any dinosaur did actually, live, as I only see scientists gauging how long ago it was that dinosaurs walked on the Earth.  There's a big difference, true?

For example, what if dinosaurs are no different than today's reptiles ---when they die off after 20-30-40 years? It might mean that although this dinosaur mortality rate did happen, millions of years ago, it does not change how that mortality rate means the avg dinosaur's life was not longer than the avg humans' life is today.

I thought we were talking about how long a species lasted on the Earth before dying out.  Going by your criteria, some tortoise somewhere is the actual winner.

32 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

... Going by your criteria, some tortoise somewhere is the actual winner.

Not really.  Unless we know for a fact that the amount of 100yr old humans does not outnumber the amount 100yr old tortoises, true?

Nonetheless, I am glad we can agree to disagree on your dinosaur philosophy.

17 minutes ago, Tdot said:

Not really.  Unless we know for a fact that the amount of 100yr old humans does not outnumber the amount 100yr old tortoises, true?

Nonetheless, I am glad we can agree to disagree on your dinosaur philosophy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_(tortoise)

Beat that, Methuselah...

Edited by bcsapper