Cannabis

Flint

On 3/11/2018 at 11:34 AM, BubberMiley said:

Uh...it was being held up in the Senate by the conservatives, but it's still expected to pass this summer. You guys are getting your news from Facebook again.

It is being held up for a reason, there is no plan. There is so much to do, if they really are worried about the kids. And it is not just con senatosr either that are not happy with it. The minute trudeau dumped it all on the provinces ,it was all down hill.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:42 PM, ?Impact said:

I am wondering what will happen there, I have heard stories that some provinces will not allow home grown and other will limit the number of plants. If I grow my own, can I sell it or give it away? Can a farmer open a weed stall at the local market? I don't think there are black and white answers.

That is the problem. Trudeau ruined everything when he dumped in on the provinces.Now instead of a being controlled and a standard law for all, now it could be 10 different laws.

19 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

It's still expected to pass this summer. Don't make stuff up when posting. It makes you look dishonest.

Read the news buddy, if the senate says no it is no. And it should be put off for another yr. Lets get this right the 1st time. I think people just want to see trudeau get one promise done at any cost.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎13 at 1:05 PM, PIK said:

Read the news buddy, if the senate says no it is no.

I have. You said "the Senate has pretty well shut er down". That's BS. It's still expected to pass and be legal before autumn. You can't just "make up facts" like your Donald when you don't like reality.

Bill Blair says storefronts and the Black Market will be almost eliminated if the legal solution offers a good price point, accessibility, and variety. Will governments be able to constrain themselves on taxing the product so that the price-point is at least competitive? We'll see. As for variety - that is the scary part. The Black Market will offer increasing levels of THC - or combine pot with other dubious ingredients. How will the government respond to these unhealthy, if not dangerous offerings? And finally, the justice system and sentencing.....currently, we have laughably weak consequences for selling an ILLEGAL substance. How can this same justice system enact TOUGHER penalties for selling a LEGAL substance? This shameless pandering for votes was a main plank of Sunny Ways. As with deficits, we'll be paying the Piper for years to come - fiscally and morally.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, eyeball said:

You're suggesting Canada has a moral surplus at the moment?  What have you been smoking?

Very clever. No matter how good or bad your morals might be, they can always get worse.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:07 AM, Flint said:

I don't believe for one moment that the legalization of this drug will benefit my country in any way, shape, or form to create a more informed and aware populace of who we are and final end.

It is one of may tranquilizers used to dumb down and control the masses. It also of course will provide a new source of tax revenue.

There's no shortage of agents used to  tranquilize and control the masses, cell phones, internet, t.v., movies, fashion industry, Justin dancing.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, Omni said:

Right then. Now don't bogart that joint, my friend. Pass it over to me.

No. Then you will start dancing with Justin and there is no saying what kind of chaos that will cause. One dancer is enough.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, Jariax said:

If that's what we're using to decide what should be legal, then it follows that we should also ban alcohol, junk food and video games. 

I agree with your comment but Flint never stated they should ban grass. You assumed that from his initial  comment.  Banning dope is neither here nor there. Its like saying we should ban prostitution. It exists. The only question is will the government tax it or not.The reality is dope, alcohol, junk food, video games are just a few of the many tranquilizers society now uses to control the masses although some would argue these same agents  can also enrage people and make them violent not just tranquilize them.

Let's get real.  Legalizing a vice, a recreational drug is a tax grab. It will do nothing for society but make it easier for people to kill each other in cars. It's a tax grab in two senses. One on the sale itself, the other on the plethora of fines that will result from stoned drivers being fined.

What I find hilarious is law and order man Julian Fantino was the first to make himself a director of a company that will sell grass. Take a look at who one of Tudeau's biggest financial donors is-hint-he will be selling marijhuana.

This is an apolitical issue. People from left to right will line up to make money on it,be fined smoking it (and driving/killing people with their cars).

Its a tax grab exercise.  Like wow man tax. Far out dude tax. Its like wow you get tax and we can spend it on Justin's new wardrobe when he visits Tonga man. Justin in a thong. Like wow.

Edited by Rue

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Let's get real.  Legalizing a vice, a recreational drug is a tax grab.

It could very well be a tax grab, but if it helps to reduce the debt, then I am all for it.  It will mean we don't have to spend an insane amount of money policing and incarcerating people over drug charges related to it.  Reducing the criminal aspect by legalizing it.  To me there seems to be many advantages of legalizing it.  For Colorado it was one of the best things they ever did. Now the state is financially in much better shape. 

On 2018-03-08 at 12:18 PM, PIK said:

The senate has pretty well shut her down. It won't happen any time soon. Great move by the senate. So I guess that was supposed to be the one promise he would not break and it is going to get broke.lol

How insightful of you. :lol:

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 1:08 PM, Rue said:

It is one of may tranquilizers used to dumb down and control the masses. It also of course will provide a new source of tax revenue.

There's no shortage of agents used to  tranquilize and control the masses, cell phones, internet, t.v., movies, fashion industry, Justin dancing.

That's just indica; citiva is the opposite.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:07 AM, Flint said:

I don't believe for one moment that the legalization of this drug will benefit my country in any way, shape, or form to create a more informed and aware populace of who we are and final end.

Cannabis,  our next............. boondagle.

Edited by betsy

Doesn't marijuana kill brain cells? Whens the last time you heard a politician speak about the dangers to your brain?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 3:49 AM, Robert Greene said:

Doesn't marijuana kill brain cells? Whens the last time you heard a politician speak about the dangers to your brain?

There are definitely some dangers with pot, just as there is with alcohol.   Those dangers exist whether it's legal or not.

I think a lot of users will still get from their DD's over a pot shop anyways - there's usally a relationship there, sometimes for many years.  As long as the black market keeps it the same cost or a just a bit less or just a bit more than the government, which I suspect they will.

An interesting article on the health effects of smoking  pot and the ongoing research on the matter.

Many people are able to consume cannabis safely, but some individuals do experience health effects, and doctors say it's impossible to predict how any one individual will react to the drug. 

One possible risk not often associated with marijuana in the public's perception of the drug but that has been flagged by public health experts is dependence — defined as the need for repeated doses of the drug to feel good or to avoid feeling bad. 

Vanessa Markov, 33, of Toronto knows about that risk firsthand. She started smoking marijuana at age 15. At first, it was a couple of times a week during or after school with peers. By the time she graduated from high school, she was lighting up every day.

"I lived a relatively functional life: I had good jobs, and I did well," Markov said. "But the secret life I had was when I went home, I would just smoke pot the entire time."

She said she now realizes that heavy use took a toll on her health.

In her 20s, Markov started to have extreme panic attacks and high anxiety. When she went to a doctor seeking treatment for mental health issues, including depression, she initially resisted when the physician suggested she stop smoking pot but finally quit the drug three years ago.

"It's not a solution to your anxiety, your social anxieties, your feelings," she said. "You know it will make you feel better for a short period of time, but you will notice after a while that it's going to start impeding on your ability to actually enjoy your life."

Aggravated anxiety is one of ways that people can react to cannabis, but there is still a lot more research and monitoring that needs to be done to quantify the incidence of this and other physical and mental health concerns among marijuana users compared with the general population.

Doctors are paying particular attention to how it's affecting young people given that their brains are still developing up until the age of 25.

Research has shown that regular cannabis use can re-wire the brain in younger users.

Cannabis affects the brain's frontal cortex, which is responsible for judgment and decision-making.

A position statement from the Canadian Paediatric Society says the area changes rapidly in adolescence and is more vulnerable to damage from THC, the main psychoactive component of the marijuana plant. 

"When people (adults) stop using, most of these changes reverse back to normal," said Dr. Romina Mizrahi, head of the Focus on Youth Psychosis Prevention Clinic at the Toronto-based Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. 

What's not clear is whether that same reversal happens in adolescents.

"What we understand now is that the timing is critical. When people use is the most important thing in how it affects the brain," Mizrahi said.

Cannabis use can disrupt the brain's endocannabinoid system — which fine tunes communication between neurons — so it doesn't work, or work as efficiently, Mizrahi said. 

THC and other cannabinoids in the marijuana plant interact with receptors throughout the nervous system to regulate functions such as appetite, memory and sleep.

Scientists are trying to understand the various ways in which cannabis can be damaging, neutral or medicinal and what determines how it will affect a particular user. But their task is complicated by the fact that the marijuana plant contains many components, varies in potency and its effects are influenced by a number of factors, including frequency of use, the complexity of the brain and its interplay with genetics. 

Mizrahi said her colleagues and other scientists have observed that cannabis is associated with a dampening or reduction in neurochemical systems, but the immediate, short- and long-term effects of that vary.

"This would explain why people feel less anxious, why people feel less activated — except for a few people who can become psychotic, and we don't know why," she said.

cont'd...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cannabis-health-1.4714927

17 hours ago, Goddess said:

I think a lot of users will still get from their DD's over a pot shop anyways - there's usally a relationship there, sometimes for many years.  As long as the black market keeps it the same cost or a just a bit less or just a bit more than the government, which I suspect they will.

One of my concerns is whether the DDs will end up providing "the good stuff" - more potency. Do you think government will get into a spiraling potency  game with illegal pot? That wouldn't look good. But that's why I think we haven't seen the end of the Black Market. That darn law of unintended (but totally foreseeable) consequences.

I favour the Singaporean narcotics-prohibition model on that front.

However, if we must legalize it, then I'd favour we regulate cannabis similarly to how Singapore regulates gambling:

https://www.ncpg.org.sg/en/Pages/Self-Exclusion.aspx

1 hour ago, Centerpiece said:

One of my concerns is whether the DDs will end up providing "the good stuff" - more potency. Do you think government will get into a spiraling potency  game with illegal pot? That wouldn't look good. But that's why I think we haven't seen the end of the Black Market. That darn law of unintended (but totally foreseeable) consequences.

When pot becomes legal in October, users will feel better about buying their stuff from a local drug dealer So why buy from a government supplier? Of course, price will be a determining factor.

Edited by capricorn