Five years later, Colorado sees toll of pot legalization

PIK

39 minutes ago, PIK said:

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5571976?access=271bc4bd30590a3723082980c3da7fef

Here is what is coming to canada, I wish our government would back off for a while and try and get this right, but they won't.

Yeah they should just leave it in the hands of the Hell's Angels...good quality and low price without all the moral hassle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Altai said:

So its time for Sharia Law to be applied in Colorado.

Maybe you are right. That way they will dress you up in a burka on the hottest day in the summer and if you whine about it, then you will pay the consequences. Maybe a beating or 2?

26 minutes ago, PIK said:

Maybe you are right. That way they will dress you up in a burka on the hottest day in the summer and if you whine about it, then you will pay the consequences. Maybe a beating or 2?

Nonsense, there is not even head scarf in Islam, its a ME tradition. I think smoking pots to feel good is also a ME tradition. You may have heard about the  Assassins (Hasheeshins) of Hassan Sabbah. 

1 hour ago, PIK said:

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5571976?access=271bc4bd30590a3723082980c3da7fef

Here is what is coming to canada, I wish our government would back off for a while and try and get this right, but they won't.

Shhhh. Facts are not important. If you're against the potheads and their desire to smoke weed wherever and whenever they want you're cruel and evil.

3 hours ago, PIK said:

Difficult situation. Much like alcohol, it makes absolutely no sense to jail people for smoking marijuana. 
We've gone after the sellers for awhile, but wherever there's a market, there's a seller. And ultimately, adults should be allowed to make their own choice.

And since we're going to decriminalize it anyways, it makes a ton of sense for the government to get on board, and make a lot of money from it. It will pay for a lot of government programs and create a lot of new jobs - just as the LCBO does now. Additionally, they can regulate it to ensure that there aren't extra substances sneaking their way into the mix. While there will be some black market competition initially, it will eventually fade out, as people come to trust the regulated product much more than drugs bought from some shady guy in an alley. Additionally, we're going to be hitting the criminal element pretty hard. Drug dealers that weren't paying taxes are gonna have to get real jobs now, and the gangs that controlled the pot trade are gonna take a big hit. 

But is it good for our society as a whole? Absolutely not. But then again, either is alcohol. The arguments to make pot illegal could just as well be used against alcohol. The only difference is we're more familiar with booze - and we seem to accept the added deaths, fights, and trouble that it brings. 

I'm actually quite pleased with the way the Ontario government is handling it. This might be the one thing that saves Wynne in the upcoming election. 

Report here on how it's affecting students, it's not a pretty sight.   We also know that smoking pot causes issues with the brains of young people.

http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/warn-parents-about-the-danger-of-pot-to-young-brains-pediatricians

http://www.rmpbs.org/blogs/news/under-siege-marijuana-and-colorado-schools/

10 hours ago, Jariax said:

Difficult situation. Much like alcohol, it makes absolutely no sense to jail people for smoking marijuana. 
We've gone after the sellers for awhile, but wherever there's a market, there's a seller. And ultimately, adults should be allowed to make their own choice.

And since we're going to decriminalize it anyways, it makes a ton of sense for the government to get on board, and make a lot of money from it. It will pay for a lot of government programs and create a lot of new jobs - just as the LCBO does now. Additionally, they can regulate it to ensure that there aren't extra substances sneaking their way into the mix. While there will be some black market competition initially, it will eventually fade out, as people come to trust the regulated product much more than drugs bought from some shady guy in an alley. Additionally, we're going to be hitting the criminal element pretty hard. Drug dealers that weren't paying taxes are gonna have to get real jobs now, and the gangs that controlled the pot trade are gonna take a big hit. 

But is it good for our society as a whole? Absolutely not. But then again, either is alcohol. The arguments to make pot illegal could just as well be used against alcohol. The only difference is we're more familiar with booze - and we seem to accept the added deaths, fights, and trouble that it brings. 

I'm actually quite pleased with the way the Ontario government is handling it. This might be the one thing that saves Wynne in the upcoming election. 

So many stereotypes in what you posted. where to start? Well first, substances sneaking in. Did you know that upon inspection it was found that one of the new government approved grow ops was using carcinogenic pesticides on the weed they were growing for public sale? As opposed to this many private growers insist on safe and organic growing methods as they've been proven to provide the best results and yields. shady characters in an alley. Once again a reefer madness style stereotype. The fact is that Cannabis is firmly entrenched in our society and the users and sellers cross all demographics. As for the black market fading out, wrong. In fact it looks like it will remain as robust as ever. Have you heard about the planned taxes on sales? Estimates show that what's proposed in taxes could add up to 50% to the current street cost. It'll be just like overtaxed tobacco, a thriving black market will continue.

As for Wynne winning again. Who in their right mind would wish that corrupt lying catastrophe on anyone?

I'm not arguing government controlled vs private sector controlled, I'm arguing legal vs illegal, and yes, I think legalized pot will be safer. Eventually, the majority of it will be controlled by big corporations, and those corporations are going to do everything they can to protect themselves from lawsuits. And sure, a carcinogenic pesticide is bad, but not as bad as getting a little fentanyl mixed in. 

https://www.metro.us/news/the-big-stories/fentanyl-laced-pot-causes-panic-massachusetts-ohio

And the 'back alley' reference, is in regards to people having to buy the drug illegally. When something is illegal, you can't just buy it from the store, or order it online. I know the law has been a little gray on that lately, but it wasn't that long ago. And I suspect the government will get even tougher on 'illegal' pot sales once it's for sale in the MCBO's. All they need is a couple stories about people dying from impure pot, and they can have all the justification they need. 

And I think the pot industry will more closely resemble the alcohol industry (at least in Ontario). Yeah, you can make alcohol at home, and sell it for much less than it costs at the LCBO, but who does that. What percentage of the market do illegal bootleggers control? The reason for the underground tobacco market is the loophole with the reserve system, and the politicians fear of doing anything to upset FN special interests. 

22 hours ago, Altai said:

Nonsense, there is not even head scarf in Islam, its a ME tradition. I think smoking pots to feel good is also a ME tradition. You may have heard about the  Assassins (Hasheeshins) of Hassan Sabbah. 

We make our own good hash now, we don't need ''the assassins of Hassan Sabbah. :)

21 hours ago, Jariax said:

We do not want her saved and this is not going to do it. She is toast no matter what she and her union minions say.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2017 at 11:42 AM, PIK said:

Your link is just to an opinion piece.

Here are some stats:

http://www.drugpolicy.org/sites/default/files/Marijuana_Legalization_Status_Report_101316.pdf

• Marijuana arrests have plummeted in the states that legalized marijuana, although disproportionate enforcement of marijuana crimes against black people continues.
  •  Statewide surveys of youth in Colorado, Washington, Alaska, and Oregon found that there were no significant increases in youth marijuana use post-legalization.
  •  Tax revenues in Colorado, Washington, and Oregon have all exceeded initial revenue estimates, totaling $552 million.
  •  Legalization has not led to more dangerous road conditions, as traffic fatality rates have remained stable in Colorado, Washington, Alaska, and Oregon.
  • Teen marijuana use is unchanged.

On 11/23/2017 at 11:42 AM, PIK said:

Your article is a bunch of cherry-picking and correlation-causation fallacy intended to mislead the reader.

Hype:

An investigation by Education News Colorado, Solutions and the I-News Network shows drug violations reported by Colorado's K-12 schools have increased 45 percent in the past four years, even as the combined number of all other violations has fallen," explains an expose on escalating pot use in schools by Rocky Mountain PBS in late 2016.

Hysterical implication: 45% more kids are on drugs! 45% more kids are smoking pot at school!!

Reality: It doesn't say that more kids are smoking pot, it says more kids are being caught with pot.  Why would that be?   Better enforcement.  Research indicates that the rate of teenagers using marijuana in Colorado hasn't actually changed.

Hype:

Five years of Big Marijuana ushered in a doubling in the number of drivers involved in fatal crashes who tested positive for marijuana, based on research by the pro-legalization Denver Post.

Hysterical implication: twice as many people are driving around high! The roads are in chaos!!

Fact:  notice that he didn't make any comment about whether there are actually more fatal crashes in Colorado?  That's because there aren't more fatal crashes in Colorado.  The statistics show that the roads in Colorado are no more dangerous now than they were 5 years ago.

Hype:

Five years of retail pot coincide with five years of a homelessness growth rate that ranks among the highest rates in the country.

Hysterical implication:  People start smoking pot and they lose their homes and their jobs!

Fact: as the guy himself points out, homeless potheads moved to Colorado for easier access to pot.

On 11/23/2017 at 1:15 PM, Argus said:

Shhhh. Facts are not important. If you're against the potheads and their desire to smoke weed wherever and whenever they want you're cruel and evil.

What facts?  The article he linked is awfully short on facts that support the conclusion

Here's a report from the Cato Institute with links to lot of research and statistics-- Facts!! -- which pretty thoroughly refutes the notion that legalized marijuana is causing any sort of crisis in Colorado.

https://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/dose-reality-effect-state-marijuana-legalizations#full

If you're interested in Facts!! then go read the Cato publication and let me know if you still believe Colorado is on the brink of some kind of Dope-fiend Apocalypse.

-k

Edited by kimmy

I smoke and have since ''74'' but I do not want I see is coming. I wished Harper would have decriminalized it and then over years legalize it the proper way. And what is this july 1st deadline. I hope people realize that canada day will become cannabis day.