How to breakup a quote?

28 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

How do you split a quote into pieces so you can reply separately to different points a person is making?

Enter 2 carriage returns inside at the point where you want to split the quote.  In this case, I put my cursor somewhere betwixt your ? and capital I of your next sentence quote below. 

28 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

I also can't figure out how multi quotes work :blink:

Click the "Quote" button associated with all of the posts you want quoted and they will all appear in your text window. 

33 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

How do you split a quote into pieces so you can reply separately to different points a person is making?

I put my cursor after the question mark after "making" above. Hit return twice and it will isolate the portion you want in a quote box, as above, and put the remainder, below, in another quote box. Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as needed.

33 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

I also can't figure out how multi quotes work :blink:

Thanks.  

9 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Enter 2 carriage returns inside at the point where you want to split the quote.  In this case, I put my cursor somewhere betwixt your ? and capital I of your next sentence quote below. 

Works here...

9 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Click the "Quote" button associated with all of the posts you want quoted and they will all appear in your text window. 

9 minutes ago, hot enough said:

I put my cursor after the question mark after "making" above. Hit return twice and it will isolate the portion you want in a quote box, as above, and put the remainder, below, in another quote box.

Now it doesn't work? What the heck :(

Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as needed.

Now it works again... Maybe a little practice will get it :)

8 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Darn that Charles Anthony. Why is he always so quick!!??

Multi quote works THANKS!!!

• 4 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 8:49 PM, Charles Anthony said:

@August1991 I *finally* think I understand the problem you're complaining about (very generally) when you keep writing 'fix the forum software'.  It's about quoting.  I realized that I, too, have had frustrating experiences with quoting full quotes and not having enough room to type my response under the quoted text.

Then I found *THIS* post from Charles.  It works !  Simply quote the ENTIRE post, then hit return TWICE inside the quote box and it splits it up.  

At several years, this is likely the longest elapsed time I have spent on a software defect report.  That is all.

On 11/9/2017 at 8:49 PM, Charles Anthony said:

15 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

@August1991 I *finally* think I understand the problem you're complaining about (very generally) when you keep writing 'fix the forum software'.  It's about quoting.  I realized that I, too, have had frustrating experiences with quoting full quotes and not having enough room to type my response under the quoted text.

Then I found *THIS* post from Charles.  It works !  Simply quote the ENTIRE post, then hit return TWICE inside the quote box and it splits it up.  

At several years, this is likely the longest elapsed time I have spent on a software defect report.  That is all.

You people are on those old-timey typewriter computers. None of that works with a touch screen.

• Forum Admin
On 2018-03-23 at 5:01 AM, Michael Hardner said:

I had a touch screen and I gave it up.

The web would be a very different place if we all had to design for touch screens...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 7:26 AM, Michael Hardner said:

@August1991  I am tagging you again as I see you complained about the software.  Since I started following this advice from Charles above, I have had fewer problems.

If I still encounter problems with quoting, I simply copy my posted text and refresh the page.  Takes less than a second and after the page is reloaded, the "carriage return" trick works every time.