Jump to content

How to breakup a quote?


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

How do you split a quote into pieces so you can reply separately to different points a person is making?

Enter 2 carriage returns inside at the point where you want to split the quote.  In this case, I put my cursor somewhere betwixt your ? and capital I of your next sentence quote below. 

28 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

I also can't figure out how multi quotes work :blink:

Click the "Quote" button associated with all of the posts you want quoted and they will all appear in your text window. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

How do you split a quote into pieces so you can reply separately to different points a person is making?

I put my cursor after the question mark after "making" above. Hit return twice and it will isolate the portion you want in a quote box, as above, and put the remainder, below, in another quote box. Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as needed.

33 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

I also can't figure out how multi quotes work :blink:

Thanks.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Enter 2 carriage returns inside at the point where you want to split the quote.  In this case, I put my cursor somewhere betwixt your ? and capital I of your next sentence quote below. 

Works here...

9 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Click the "Quote" button associated with all of the posts you want quoted and they will all appear in your text window. 

 

9 minutes ago, hot enough said:

I put my cursor after the question mark after "making" above. Hit return twice and it will isolate the portion you want in a quote box, as above, and put the remainder, below, in another quote box.

Now it doesn't work? What the heck :(

Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as needed.

 

Now it works again... Maybe a little practice will get it :)

8 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Darn that Charles Anthony. Why is he always so quick!!??

Multi quote works THANKS!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 8:49 PM, Charles Anthony said:

Enter 2 carriage returns inside at the point where you want to split the quote.  In this case, I put my cursor somewhere betwixt your ? and capital I of your next sentence quote below. 

@August1991 I *finally* think I understand the problem you're complaining about (very generally) when you keep writing 'fix the forum software'.  It's about quoting.  I realized that I, too, have had frustrating experiences with quoting full quotes and not having enough room to type my response under the quoted text.

Then I found *THIS* post from Charles.  It works !  Simply quote the ENTIRE post, then hit return TWICE inside the quote box and it splits it up.  

At several years, this is likely the longest elapsed time I have spent on a software defect report.  That is all.

On 11/9/2017 at 8:49 PM, Charles Anthony said:

Click the "Quote" button associated with all of the posts you want quoted and they will all appear in your text window. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

@August1991 I *finally* think I understand the problem you're complaining about (very generally) when you keep writing 'fix the forum software'.  It's about quoting.  I realized that I, too, have had frustrating experiences with quoting full quotes and not having enough room to type my response under the quoted text.

Then I found *THIS* post from Charles.  It works !  Simply quote the ENTIRE post, then hit return TWICE inside the quote box and it splits it up.  

At several years, this is likely the longest elapsed time I have spent on a software defect report.  That is all.

 

You people are on those old-timey typewriter computers. None of that works with a touch screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Admin
On 2018-03-23 at 5:01 AM, Michael Hardner said:

I had a touch screen and I gave it up.

The web would be a very different place if we all had to design for touch screens...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 7:26 AM, Michael Hardner said:

@August1991 I *finally* think I understand the problem you're complaining about (very generally) when you keep writing 'fix the forum software'.  It's about quoting.  I realized that I, too, have had frustrating experiences with quoting full quotes and not having enough room to type my response under the quoted text.

Then I found *THIS* post from Charles.  It works !  Simply quote the ENTIRE post, then hit return TWICE inside the quote box and it splits it up.  

At several years, this is likely the longest elapsed time I have spent on a software defect report.  That is all.

 

@August1991  I am tagging you again as I see you complained about the software.  Since I started following this advice from Charles above, I have had fewer problems.

 

If I still encounter problems with quoting, I simply copy my posted text and refresh the page.  Takes less than a second and after the page is reloaded, the "carriage return" trick works every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...