Liberals to increase immigration to 350,000+

Argus

In a transparent attempt at getting more ethnic votes, the Liberals announced that they are increasing the immigration rate to 350,000 per year from the present 300,000 which was raised just two years ago from 250,000. This comes on top of census information that says Canada's foreign born population is already by far the highest in the western world at over 20%. The US and UK, by comparison, are at about 13%. Canada's foreign-born population was already going to rise to about 29% in twenty years according to the census, but this increase will accelerate that. So soon a third of Canadians will be foreign born - and the number will rise from there. 

The supposed justification is that Canada needs more people because of our aging population and a shortage of workers. Both are outright lies, but have been said so often they're rarely questioned. Especially since anyone who questions them gets called a racist, and because the other parties are eager for those ethnic votes too. The Fraser Institute has calculated the cost of our present immigration system at over $30 billion per year to all three levels of government based on the earnings of immigrants - who perform more poorly than Canadian born workers - vs how much government must spend on them.  Furthermore, immigration CAN NOT keep our percentage of retirees from rising. Even Stats Can says so.

A second study in less than a week has concluded that there is no labour shortage in Canada, nor is one expected to arrive in the next few decades. A study published Friday by a University of Lethbridge professor echoes results of a report by the federal government’s Parliamentary Budget Office released Tuesday — both conclude there are more than enough workers on a national basis in Canada to fill available jobs.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Study+debunks+Canadian+labour+shortage/9674478/story.html

Dire warnings of a widespread Canadian labour crisis and a “lost generation” of young workers have been overblown, according to a market analysis by TD Economics. Deputy chief economist Derek Burleton says demographic and economic shifts may be hitting young workers particularly hard, but he doesn’t believe projections of across-the-board labour shortages and skills gaps.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/21/skills-gap-canada-labour-shortage_n_4138487.html

Our population would be stabilized with immigration at only 100,000

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-003-x/2007001/figures/4129879-eng.htm

Canada would have to take in 2.6 million immigrants a year by 2020 and seven million by 2050 — raising its population to 165.4-million — if it wants to keep its ratio of retirees-toworkers at its current 20%, according to a study from the C.D. Howe Institute.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 3

I agree with Argus.  As a Torontonian, I feel that the Federal Government is making very little effort to alleviate our crowding problems and this will make things worse.  I also feel that there will be a political backlash that could turn very quickly if immigration levels are increased frequently, and without addressing the problems they face.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I agree with Argus.  As a Torontonian, I feel that the Federal Government is making very little effort to alleviate our crowding problems and this will make things worse.  I also feel that there will be a political backlash that could turn very quickly if immigration levels are increased frequently, and without addressing the problems they face.

Indeed, something like 70% of new immigrants come to just three places: Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Adding 1 million people every 4 years to these 3 cities is unsustainable. 

13 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Indeed, something like 70% of new immigrants come to just three places: Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Adding 1 million people every 4 years to these 3 cities is unsustainable. 

It's actually ridiculous.  The people are dirt poor and the cities are becoming unliveable.  

2 hours ago, Argus said:

In a transparent attempt at getting more ethnic votes, the Liberals announced that they are increasing the immigration rate to 350,000 per year from the present 300,000 which was raised just two years ago from 250,000. This comes on top of census information that says Canada's foreign born population is already by far the highest in the western world at over 20%. The US and UK, by comparison, are at about 13%. Canada's foreign-born population was already going to rise to about 29% in twenty years according to the census, but this increase will accelerate that. So soon a third of Canadians will be foreign born - and the number will rise from there. 

The supposed justification is that Canada needs more people because of our aging population and a shortage of workers. Both are outright lies, but have been said so often they're rarely questioned. Especially since anyone who questions them gets called a racist, and because the other parties are eager for those ethnic votes too. The Fraser Institute has calculated the cost of our present immigration system at over $30 billion per year to all three levels of government based on the earnings of immigrants - who perform more poorly than Canadian born workers - vs how much government must spend on them.  Furthermore, immigration CAN NOT keep our percentage of retirees from rising. Even Stats Can says so.

A second study in less than a week has concluded that there is no labour shortage in Canada, nor is one expected to arrive in the next few decades. A study published Friday by a University of Lethbridge professor echoes results of a report by the federal government’s Parliamentary Budget Office released Tuesday — both conclude there are more than enough workers on a national basis in Canada to fill available jobs.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Study+debunks+Canadian+labour+shortage/9674478/story.html

Dire warnings of a widespread Canadian labour crisis and a “lost generation” of young workers have been overblown, according to a market analysis by TD Economics. Deputy chief economist Derek Burleton says demographic and economic shifts may be hitting young workers particularly hard, but he doesn’t believe projections of across-the-board labour shortages and skills gaps.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/21/skills-gap-canada-labour-shortage_n_4138487.html

Our population would be stabilized with immigration at only 100,000

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-003-x/2007001/figures/4129879-eng.htm

Canada would have to take in 2.6 million immigrants a year by 2020 and seven million by 2050 — raising its population to 165.4-million — if it wants to keep its ratio of retirees-toworkers at its current 20%, according to a study from the C.D. Howe Institute.

What Canada should be doing is putting a moratorium on all immigration for at least five years so we can get the 2 million unemployed working first. And my pet peeve about it all is that probably 90% of those immigrants will becoming from the third world countries. Whatever happened to the good old days where the majority of our new immigrants came from Britain, Ireland, Scotland, Europe and Australia? Walking around in a mall these days in Canada in places like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver one has to wonder as to what country am I shopping in today? For the past several decades approx. 85% of new immigrants have been coming third world countries. This does not make any sense at all to be doing. 

Why are the majority in this country not concerned about this? They are slowly being replaced by incompatible cultures who only want to come to Canada and try to preserve their culture and then try and get as many family members and friends that they can into Canada. There is something very strange going on in this country in regards to our immigration policy, and as a taxpayer, I don't like it one dam bit. Do you? Over. 

1 minute ago, taxme said:

What Canada should be doing is putting a moratorium on all immigration for at least five years so we can get the 2 million unemployed working first.

Unemployment is low, and the 'fixed pie fallacy' has already been pointed out to you many times.  Your opinions are so uninformed, but at least they never change due to enlightenment.  You represent your cohort perfectly with such statements. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Unemployment is low, and the 'fixed pie fallacy' has already been pointed out to you many times.  Your opinions are so uninformed, but at least they never change due to enlightenment.  You represent your cohort perfectly with such statements. 

It's called using your own brain. There is no common sense or logic to all of this third world immigration one dam bit. And anyone who supports massive third world immigration has to have mental issues or are part of the program and agenda to destroy this once great WASP nation. 

Thank gawd that I am being enlightened by people who know what the hell they are talking about and can provide the evidence. That is where I am getting my information from, and I thank gawd it is not from one of your outfits who could careless about Canada. I represent patriotic Canadian nationalists who give a dam about what is being done to Canada, my home and Caucasian native land. :D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's actually ridiculous.  The people are dirt poor and the cities are becoming unliveable.  

I don't know, that sounds like a bit of an exaggeration of the extent of the problem. But there's no doubt that transit and road infrastructure is severely inadequate since it takes decades to build and by the time it's complete the population is double what it was designed for. Similarly, rapidly growing population also brings with it rapid rise in housing prices, making these cities less affordable. Additionally, there is the environmental damage caused by rapid growth and sprawl. 

The problem is even mentioning any of this as a downside of immigration gets one labeled a racist. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I read that more often than I read anybody actually being called a racist.

I've been called a racist on every topic on immigration, until they banned that word and then they resorted to xenophobic and other substitutes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bonam said:

I don't know, that sounds like a bit of an exaggeration of the extent of the problem. But there's no doubt that transit and road infrastructure is severely inadequate since it takes decades to build and by the time it's complete the population is double what it was designed for. Similarly, rapidly growing population also brings with it rapid rise in housing prices, making these cities less affordable. Additionally, there is the environmental damage caused by rapid growth and sprawl. 

The problem is even mentioning any of this as a downside of immigration gets one labeled a racist. 

With many Canadians common sense and logic are words that you won't find in their vocabulary. Emotionalism and foolishness runs crazy though thru their silly brainwashed heads. 

Tell the truth and one will get labelled words like racist. It's only because they don't know any better. Liberalism has pretty much fried their  silly brainwashed heads. 

Environmentalists whine about the environment being damaged. Tree huggers whine because more tees are being cut down. Vehicle owners whine about the roads. People whine about infrastructure. Unemployed people whine that they cannot find a job. People whine because to buy a home or rent an apartment costs too much. Taxpayer's whine that they pay too much taxes. 

Well what do they all expect when Canada keeps bringing in more and more new immigrants, especially illegal refugee immigrants, than it can handle? Canada does not have that much housing to put them all in. But do politicians give a chit? Obviously not. It's no wonder that I despise the whole lot of them. They are pretty much all a bunch of screwballs. It's no wonder that Canada is fast becoming a laughing stock for the rest of the world. We have people running Canada that do not have a clue as to how to run a country. Just be pro-gay and pro-multiculturalism and massive third world immigration and that should work just great for them to get elected. What a country. :o

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I doubt it. http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/search/?&q="you are a racist"

You can argue against immigration and not be called a racist easily.  If you post that you hate brown people, therefore there should be no immigration well then what do you expect ?

So, if I say that we are bringing in way too many third world immigrants into Canada, is that considered racism to say that? Just asking. 

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I doubt it. http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/search/?&q="you are a racist"

You can argue against immigration and not be called a racist easily.  If you post that you hate brown people, therefore there should be no immigration well then what do you expect ?

Your search is pretty limited, don't you think? Especially given the term was banned. People rarely say 'you are a racist'. They're more likely to say things like 'more racism' or 'that's racist' or 'your position is racist' or 'we don't care what racists think' or a variation of that. I never mention colour when I talk about immigration and I've always been accused of one variation or another of bigotry. If you do a search on 'racist' you'll find four hundred pages of it. Granted, the word is rarely used since MLW took to suspending people for using it. There are also 62 pages of 'bigot' and lately, a several dozen pages of xenophobic or xenophobia. The point is that many people take any attack on immigration policies as an attack on 'brown people' and reflexively try to smear whoever is posting.

17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I must say Michael being one of the most centralist, moderate, smack in the middle of all issues kind of guy I find your comments very interesting. No one can accuse you if they read your posts of being anti-Immigrant although they of course will with Argus.

I actually usually am interested where you are on such positions because your such a lol damn neutral on issues. to the point you should run for office.

That said I always read articles saying we need more people to replace baby boomers and then to be fair to Argus, its not just him but the articles he and all of us can find that say that is a myth and I read great opinions on both sides of the issue as to whether we need more Canadians to replace baby boomers or not.

I really am torn on the issue. Like you I want to look at the issue not from the standpoint of hating any particular immigrant because of their perceived values, just from a purely economic perspective of will it help or harm the economy which is what immigration policy should be based on (other than of course the refugee exemption which is a mess for other reasons).

So I really am torn on the issue. I do think we need help in certain labour areas but not others. As well new fresh ideas from people with different training and education can really help improve production through innovation in certain sectors.

Then we have sectors that are dying out being replaced by technology and I am not sure if bringing in for example people with no education who can not read or write or adjust is realistic.

I teach at colleges where I see new Canadians completely ill-equipped to make the transition and I have seen some great new people coming in as well.

Its a tough issue.

Edited by Rue

15 hours ago, Argus said:

I've been called a racist on every topic on immigration, until they banned that word and then they resorted to xenophobic and other substitutes.

I think its called concerism now.  Almost makes racism sound responsible or pragmatic or something.

3 hours ago, Rue said:

That said I always read articles saying we need more people to replace baby boomers...

I have seen many such articles/statements too. But the reality is they never back the supposed "need" of more people up with any hard numbers. They just rely on the "gut feel" that people have that since baby boomers are retiring, more labour must be needed. They fail to look at the actual conditions of the labour market, or consider changes in how long people work, how many and which kinds of jobs are automated, or if the people that are being brought in are filling the kinds of job opening that exist. Also, they tend to ignore the reality that the average age of immigrants is only like a year or two younger than the existing Canadian population, so it essentially does not change the age demographic pyramid at all. 

9 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Also, they tend to ignore the reality that the average age of immigrants is only like a year or two younger than the existing Canadian population, so it essentially does not change the age demographic pyramid at all. 

You would think a government concerned about an aging population would be reducing the number of immigrant seniors allowed in, not doubling them. But hey, what does billions in additional health care costs matter compared to gaining favour from west asian voters.

Edited by Argus

8 hours ago, Rue said:

I must say Michael being one of the most centralist, moderate, smack in the middle of all issues kind of guy I find your comments very interesting. No one can accuse you if they read your posts of being anti-Immigrant although they of course will with Argus.

Thank you. (?)

8 hours ago, Rue said:

I actually usually am interested where you are on such positions because your such a lol damn neutral on issues. to the point you should run for office.

Thank you. (?)  I think I would be great in politics but....

8 hours ago, Rue said:

That said I always read articles saying we need more people to replace baby boomers and then to be fair to Argus, its not just him but the articles he and all of us can find that say that is a myth and I read great opinions on both sides of the issue as to whether we need more Canadians to replace baby boomers or not.

Replacing Baby Boomers would be great but the point of the article he has posted many times is that the "problem" is a large bulge in the population, which can't be addressed in the way they claim to with immigration.  That much I believe.

8 hours ago, Rue said:

I really am torn on the issue. Like you I want to look at the issue not from the standpoint of hating any particular immigrant because of their perceived values, just from a purely economic perspective of will it help or harm the economy which is what immigration policy should be based on (other than of course the refugee exemption which is a mess for other reasons).

The economy is always planned around natural growth.  I think that forcing growth in the way they're doing could backfire.  They're not addressing current problems just as they are trying to bring more immigrants in.

8 hours ago, Rue said:

So I really am torn on the issue. I do think we need help in certain labour areas but not others. As well new fresh ideas from people with different training and education can really help improve production through innovation in certain sectors.

There are some ways we could target immigration.  For example, if Trump is stupid enough to cancel the H1B program in the US, we could grab a bunch of tech jobs and entice US tech firms to move here.  We would have to get ahead of the curve, though by moving tech jobs out of the GTA or at least to the edges of it.

I can't understand why they would do this as tech/professional services is a golden calf of prosperity for the US but he has sent signals that he may do it.

8 hours ago, Rue said:

I teach at colleges where I see new Canadians completely ill-equipped to make the transition and I have seen some great new people coming in as well.

Its a tough issue.

I think we have arrived at a point where some of us can have a discussion of immigration on its own merits.  Just not most people.  (eg. People to whom you say 'fixed pie fallacy' more times than you say 'that's a pretty birdie !' to a parrot... and they still don't repeat it.  (the person, not the parrot))

Edited by Michael Hardner