Will Trudeau Jnr make Morneau resign?

Trudeau Jnr and Morneau  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sunny ways? Kumbaya?

Laurier, Trudeau Snr, Castro, Nixon, Khruschvev: "Peaceful co-existence" 

====

If Morneau remains as a federal minister (French name, Bay Street business, McCain wife, blue eyes), draw your own conclusion.

But if Justin makes him resign?

And what about this place we call , en effet, "Canada"?

Edited by August1991

Morneau ignored the requirements of both Trudeau's ethics guidelines and the orders of the ethics commissioner. He held onto shares of his family's company then introduced legislation which would directly benefit that company and thus enrich himself. Conflict of interest doesn't get any more obvious or bald faced than that. But I doubt Trudeau cares. Trudeau will see this as purely an image issue. If he feels he can style his way through then Morneau will stay. If he thinks this will hurt his image then Morneau will go.

15 hours ago, Argus said:

Morneau ignored the requirements of both Trudeau's ethics guidelines and the orders of the ethics commissioner. He held onto shares of his family's company then introduced legislation which would directly benefit that company and thus enrich himself. Conflict of interest doesn't get any more obvious or bald faced than that. But I doubt Trudeau cares. Trudeau will see this as purely an image issue. If he feels he can style his way through then Morneau will stay. If he thinks this will hurt his image then Morneau will go.

Argus, I strongly agree.

It is hard to imagine a more extreme example of "do as I say, not as I do" or, "taxes are for the little people", or "I am entitled to my entitlements."

Yet, in the mind of Morneau no doubt, his decision to enter "public service" was a personal sacrifice.

=====

Apparently, according to leftist websites, Stephen Harper is now worth about $7 million.

Justin Trudeau, officially by the same websites, has less than $2 million - inherited from his father. (But Alex Trudeau manages the Trudeau Foundation, Clinton Foundation style.) 

Edited by August1991

9 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Argus, I strongly agree. It is hard to imagine a more extreme example of "do as I say, not as I do" or, "taxes are for the little people", or "I am entitled to my entitlements."

In the mind of Morneau, his decision to enter "public service" was a personal sacrifice.

=====

Apparently, according to leftist websites, Stephen Harper is now worth about $7 million.

Justin Trudeau, officially by the same websites, has less than $2 million - inherited from his father. (But Alex Trudeau manages the Trudeau Foundation, Clinton Foundation style.) 

Chretien was not all that rich when he entered politics. After Chretien left politics he became a multi millionaire. When one becomes the PM they quickly get to learn as to how to make it rich while in government. Insider trading. While we the sheeple get to stay in debt, the politicians get richer. They have to be grouped in with lawyers and car salesmen/women, and the banksters. And then there are fools who  still think that politicians really care. Ha-ha-ha. 

6 minutes ago, taxme said:

Chretien was not all that rich when he entered politics. After Chretien left politics he became a multi millionaire....

Kim Campbell became a federal PM, but later she relied on Chretien (and taxpayers) to pay her rent.

IOW, despite leftist claims, I question whether Harper is worth $7 million. I reckon that Harper is smart; but not dishonest.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

IOW, despite leftist claims, I question whether Harper is worth $7 million. I reckon that Harper is smart; but not dishonest.

Leaving aside the point that you haven't provided cites pro- or con- Harper's worth, why is it 'dishonest' for him to be worth $7M ?  

Your point about 'taxes for the little people' is exactly on point, but wealthy Liberals putting themselves in government, and creating exceptions for themselves doesn't mean that all politicians who profit from having been in office are crooks.  

Ex-PMs (and ex-Presidents),  make so much money from speaking engagements.  So it's not surprising that some, if not all of them, make more money after they leave office.  They also get millions for writing books.  Look at the books by Stephen Harper.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/58999.Stephen_Harper

Btw.....wasn't that an issue a while back with young Trudeau?  Look how much he gets per pop, before he became a PM.

Justin Trudeau offers to repay $20,000 speaking fee

Trudeau was responding to a simmering controversy over how charities were billed for speeches he delivered between 2008 and 2012, including a demand late last week that he return the $20,000 that he charged a financially troubled seniors organization.

“I’m willing to pay all of it back if that’s what it comes to,” Trudeau told interviewer Kevin Newman on Question Period, CTV’s Sunday political-affairs show. “I’m going to fix this.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/06/16/justin_trudeau_offers_to_pay_back_all_public_speaking_earnings.html

Edited by betsy

11 hours ago, August1991 said:

Kim Campbell became a federal PM, but later she relied on Chretien (and taxpayers) to pay her rent.

I believe that Kim Campbell only survived as PM for about 6 months and then lost the election. Most likely there was not enough time for her to get to know people in the know. I guess that she should have saved some money. :D

On 10/22/2017 at 12:20 PM, Argus said:

And I thought there was good evidence for the sudbury bribery case and the judge threw that out. So I have no faith in this either.

19 minutes ago, PIK said:

And I thought there was good evidence for the sudbury bribery case and the judge threw that out. So I have no faith in this either.

You, PIK, are advancing the notion that you somehow know better than a learned judge on a recent case. Tell me, did you come to this conclusion before or after you read the entire written decision?

Edited by hot enough

On 10/23/2017 at 6:52 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Leaving aside the point that you haven't provided cites pro- or con- Harper's worth, why is it 'dishonest' for him to be worth $7M ?  

Your point about 'taxes for the little people' is exactly on point, but wealthy Liberals putting themselves in government, and creating exceptions for themselves doesn't mean that all politicians who profit from having been in office are crooks.  

Michael, if you occupied a government position, and then walked away with $7 million more, I would:

1) question your honesty and ,

2) question the government system of your country

======

I have no idea what Stephen Harper was worth, his savings/investments, before becoming PM in 2006. I suspect that Harper had far fewer savings than $7 million in 2006.

If Harper has $7 million in savings now, I would consider that a tremendous abuse of power. 

With this single caveat.

Guys like Morneau, they truly believe that they are above the law. Why? Because, in their own mind, they are doing something good for others.

Edited by August1991

On 10/25/2017 at 11:54 AM, hot enough said:

You, PIK, are advancing the notion that you somehow know better than a learned judge on a recent case. Tell me, did you come to this conclusion before or after you read the entire written decision?

When you listen to the tapes, it seems they are speaking for the premier, and offering people jobs or money to run or not run would be illegal. Now if it was a conservative government it would be. But for the judge to say no to a jury, makes me wonder. IMOI Most judges we have are liberal. Just like the one that acquitted the muslim man for raping his wife because he said he did not know you can't rape your wife in canada and the judge fell for it. It seem on sexual crimes judges are very liberal in convicting these people. Or if a woman kills her newborn she gets sympathy where a man does it he gets nailed and he should.

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

Michael, if you occupied a government position, and then walked away with $7 million more, I would:

======

I have no idea what Stephen Harper was worth, his savings/investments, before becoming PM in 2006. I suspect that Harper had far fewer savings than $7 million in 2006.

If Harper has $7 million in savings now, I would consider that a tremendous abuse of power. 

With this single caveat.

Guys like Morneau, they truly believe that they are above the law. Why? Because, in their own mind, they are doing something good for others.

If I remember correctly harper does not even take his pension. Harper was a honest man and there is nothing out there to say he was not, Jim Flaherty was worth maybe a million when he passed away. Trudeau sr and chretien became rich or richer while in office.

On 10/23/2017 at 3:52 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Liberals help themselves and Conservatives help their buddies.  In either case the problem is the same - it's all perfectly legal.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:35 AM, August1991 said:

Why? He first got elected as an MP in 1993. So he was making really nice money from that point on. When he quit he became head of the CTF, which paid more than his MP salary had. Then he became MP and leader of the Alliance/Conservatives, which paid over $200k combined, with a free house and car. Then he became PM with a combined salary of about $300k with a free house, car, servants and vacation home. He's been making at least $160k a year, and often double that for over 20 years now. Presumably he was able to invest a lot of that money given the free housing and car and vacations, and then he wrote a couple of books, has a golden pension, probably gets paid a lot for speaking engagements.

There's no reason to suspect anything wrong here.

7 hours ago, Argus said:

Why? He first got elected as an MP in 1993. So he was making really nice money from that point on. When he quit he became head of the CTF, which paid more than his MP salary had. Then he became MP and leader of the Alliance/Conservatives, which paid over $200k combined, with a free house and car. Then he became PM with a combined salary of about $300k with a free house, car, servants and vacation home. He's been making at least $160k a year, and often double that for over 20 years now. Presumably he was able to invest a lot of that money given the free housing and car and vacations, and then he wrote a couple of books, has a golden pension, probably gets paid a lot for speaking engagements.

There's no reason to suspect anything wrong here.

Except that, like Sergio Marchi, public service is a way to riches.

If that's the story, then Canada is becoming a third world hell-hole.

Trudeau Snr once accused Quebec nationalists of turning Montreal into the Danzig of the New World.

Well, Trudeau Jnr seems to be turning Canada into Nigeria: government connections in a resource rich country can make you rich.    

Edited by August1991

On 10/26/2017 at 3:03 PM, PIK said:

If I remember correctly harper does not even take his pension. Harper was a honest man and there is nothing out there to say he was not, Jim Flaherty was worth maybe a million when he passed away. Trudeau sr and chretien became rich or richer while in office.

I don't know about pensions. I don't know whether Harper has $7 million.

But people like Flaherty and Harper strike me as honest. (Despite serious health problems, Flaherty still worked... )

To me, people like Trudeau Jnr are incompetent players, trying to prove themselves despite their name. Morneau?  Another rich kid playing. As they say, "virtue signalling".

On 10/23/2017 at 7:05 AM, betsy said:

Ex-PMs (and ex-Presidents),  make so much money from speaking engagements.  So it's not surprising that some, if not all of them, make more money after they leave office.  They also get millions for writing books.  Look at the books by Stephen Harper.

Betsy, you have a third-world, hell-hole mind frame: the way to be rich, find a powerful (government) man.

=====

Yet, I suspect that we are entering a world where women like you have trouble to know who is powerful, rich.

Betsy, who will protect you? Your children? 

5 hours ago, August1991 said:

Betsy, you have a third-world, hell-hole mind frame: the way to be rich, find a powerful (government) man.

=====

Yet, I suspect that we are entering a world where women like you have trouble to know who is powerful, rich.

Betsy, who will protect you? Your children? 

What are you  on about???

I'm simply stating a fact! Ex-PMs (Presidents) make more money doing speaking engagements/writing books!

The Obamas are getting a record-setting book deal worth at least $60 million

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-book-deal-2017-2

Of course, when we're talking corruption while in office.....that's a different story.

Edited by betsy

12 hours ago, August1991 said:

Except that, like Sergio Marchi, public service is a way to riches.

If that's the story, then Canada is becoming a third world hell-hole

Drivel. Five million is enough to buy a couple of condos in Toronto or Vancouver. It's not like he's got his own jets and yachts. I've been making similar money for only 4-5 years and I'm worth about 1.3 million. And I don't get a free house and car. Had to pay for them myself. The Prime Minister's earnings are chump change compared to what CEOs in this country make. The guy who runs Canadian Tire makes $4 million, the Maple Leaf Foods CEO makes $6 million, Gilden Activewear's CEO makes $9 million, it's $12 million at Telus, $15 million at Manulife, and $26 million at Magna.

There's something just wrong about the idea that if the PM of Canada gets in a room with a bunch of CEO's he's like, the coffee boy in salary comparisons.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:01 PM, August1991 said:

Sunny ways? Kumbaya?

Laurier, Trudeau Snr, Castro, Nixon, Khruschvev: "Peaceful co-existence" 

====

If Morneau remains as a federal minister (French name, Bay Street business, McCain wife, blue eyes), draw your own conclusion.

But if Justin makes him resign?

And what about this place we call , en effet, "Canada"?

You need to recognize Trudeau's pattern.

Financial improprieties are fine under the Trudeau government. He'll cover for you all day long. 
He figures he's young and charming enough, that he can just smile smugly during QP until it blows over.
But if he has a chance to virtue signal  to a special interest group by throwing you under the bus, you're gone.  

Edited by Jariax

On 10/28/2017 at 6:32 AM, betsy said:

What are you  on about???

I'm simply stating a fact! Ex-PMs (Presidents) make more money doing speaking engagements/writing books!

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-book-deal-2017-2

Of course, when we're talking corruption while in office.....that's a different story.

IOW, ugly men want to become politicians because that attracts women who want to be bikini models. But women get boob jobs to become bikini models. Or something.

Betsy, this complicated universe of signals has moved on .

Edited by August1991

On 10/28/2017 at 11:54 AM, Argus said:

Drivel. Five million is enough to buy a couple of condos in Toronto or Vancouver. It's not like he's got his own jets and yachts. I've been making similar money for only 4-5 years and I'm worth about 1.3 million. And I don't get a free house and car. Had to pay for them myself. The Prime Minister's earnings are chump change compared to what CEOs in this country make. The guy who runs Canadian Tire makes $4 million, the Maple Leaf Foods CEO makes $6 million, Gilden Activewear's CEO makes $9 million, it's $12 million at Telus, $15 million at Manulife, and $26 million at Magna.

There's something just wrong about the idea that if the PM of Canada gets in a room with a bunch of CEO's he's like, the coffee boy in salary comparisons.

Argus,

Who are you referring to? Harper?

If so, I agree. I doubt that he is worth $7 million, but if he is - I am sure that it was not from living in 24 Sussex.

====

Avoid taxes by allowing someone else (a non-profit) to pay for my travel, expenses?

The Trudeau Foundation or the Clinton Foundation or Suzuki Foundation.

To my knowledge, there is no "Harper Foundation".