Quebec's Bill 62

Goddess

7 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

What else is next for Canada? How about a Sikh Canadian astronaut wearing a turban rather than a helmet? :rolleyes:

As long as Hijab Barbie does not try to enter a Quebec government building all should be ok. :D

On 11/1/2017 at 12:38 PM, Benz said:

I totally agree with your post. I will just reply to few points.

1) Regarding the cross, it's a gray area. You cannot compare that crucifix with the religious garmants. No one is wearing that crucifix. The people that are in favor of keeping it there have good points. The people in favor of keeping it are saying that it is a trace of our past and then because of patrimonial reason, it should not be removed. I still think that in the balance, we should remove it. Since it has been placed there by Duplessis few decades ago at a time the Church was having too much power, I do not feel too sensible by their so called patrimony thing.

2) That niqab/burqa has nothing to do with the identity of a woman. On the contrary, it is to destroy a woman's identity. Replace her identity with the indoctrination of a anti woman rule. To format her mindset to a religious and macho constraint. If it was not the case, they would see no issue at all to remove it when required. That one is not a grey area.

3) Québécois do not like Couillard because of financial decisions. Complete austerity toward the people that need help the most, while at the very same time, he gives enormous amount of money to his friends of the party and wealthy people. Even Charest did not go as far in the imbalence between the poor and the rich people. I think Couillard is the most unpopular liberal among the french people in the Québec history. I could not imagine it was possible to do worst than Charest. But he did. You are not affected by his decisions, that's why it looks difficult to explain for you. Ask to the nurses, the teachers, the social workers, ... ask anyone. When you apply such austerity on the people, at least do not give that much money to the wealthy ones at the very same time. His image is toasted. He also took very bad decisions regarding the religious symbols. I doubt the bill 62 will be enough to revitalize his reputation. I think the back stage liberals are already planning the replacement. Their only hope is the division of the other parties

Roman Catholicism is still the state religion of Quebec no matter how one wants to cut it. The fact that the crucifix is maintained in the legislature is evidence that it is the state religion of Quebec.  84% of the Quebec population is Roman Catholic and 6% identify as no religious affiliation.  The rest are divided between all other religion.  I am sure every country in the world has some laws or policies which favour their majority religion in some way.  Quebec had trouble allowing Jehovah's Witnesses to do their thing back in the early 1950s.  As long as they tolerate other religions and do no suppress freedom of religion I have no concerns about what they do.  Bill 62 has nothing to do with religion.