Disaster in Texas

The actual story:  Trump acts preemptively with the governor to declare state of emergency, they organize money and provisions before storm even arrives, rescue efforts (from everybody) are going off as well as can be expected and with minimal deaths.  Citizens are helping other citizens (in "racist" Texas) regardless or political leanings, race, gender, age or sexuality.  Trump visits area as soon as possible, gives inspiration to Texans and promises immediate and unwavering support for Texans.  Praises efforts of all involved.

CNN/MSNBC's version of the story:  "Look at Melania's shoes, she's so out of touch"...."Look at Trump's hat, he's obviously just here to sell his brand".  

Edited by Hal 9000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boges said:

It's the type of public shaming that actually makes Social Media a disgusting affair. People don't care about flood victims, they just want to shame a Televangalist.  

Shaming is part of group dynamics, and certainly Christians have lots of experience with shaming although Christ himself wasn't into it.  That being said, the dynamics of shaming within a group and outside a group are much different and I have posted on that quite a few times.

There's nothing productive in shaming across a cultural gap, and it comes off more like scapgoating.  If you want to stop it, you need to criticize the groups you are in and those closest to you as you'll have the greatest impact there.  I have started doing this.

I have seen a tag out there saying "all cities matter".  It's a kind of tribal sloganeering that doesn't help anything really.

1 hour ago, Boges said:

As for the Climate Change thing. The US hasn't had a major hurricane in years. I thought Climate Change was going to make these common. 

Actually, the science I have read said fewer hurricanes, and bigger ones.

The question of whether this is happening is best left to scientists, though, and politics won't help it.

1 hour ago, capricorn said:

Speaking of CNN, when the hurricane made landfall on Friday morning, host Jake Tapper said "We've been wondering for months how Trump would react to a national disaster." As if CNN didn't already have enough material regarding Trump to report on, it appears they generated a list of imaginary issues, just in case.

Not at all.  Trump hasn't actually had to "do" anything yet.  That said, the role of the leader in such times isn't as important as processes, operational readiness IMO.  I think it's valid to wonder how he would do, and this kind of thing is actually well suited to his strengths. 

11 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

If you and Dialamah are going to parrot CNN, at least try and shake up the wording just a little.  I know you have no independant thoughts, but just try a little harder - so sad!

Don't watch CNN.  It's just that smart people see the same things and ask similar questions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

The actual story:  Trump acts preemptively with the governor to declare state of emergency, they organize money and provisions before storm even arrives, rescue efforts (from everybody) are going off as well as can be expected and with minimal deaths.  Citizens are helping other citizens (in "racist" Texas) regardless or political leanings, race, gender, age or sexuality.  Trump visits area as soon as possible, gives inspiration to Texans and promises immediate and unwavering support for Texans.  Praises efforts of all involved.

CNN/MSNBC's version of the story:  "Look at Melania's shoes, she's so out of touch"...."Look at Trump's hat, he's obviously just here to sell his brand".  

Really, you don't know how a big operation like this comes together on the inside.  Both sides will come up with spin on that, which is too bad.

The shoes story wasn't really helpful, I agree.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Trump hasn't actually had to "do" anything yet.

Of course, he had to visit the region. He was also expected to show empathy with the people affected; apparently he failed to do so.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I think it's valid to wonder how he would do, and this kind of thing is actually well suited to his strengths. 

I think it's valid to wonder whether Jake Tapper's admission exemplifies CNN's obsession with everything Trump.

6 hours ago, Boges said:

As for the Climate Change thing. The US hasn't had a major hurricane in years. I thought Climate Change was going to make these common. 

The Caribbean actually has a problem with seaweed because there are fewer hurricanes breaking up the islands of them in open water. 

Seriously? You are still in denial?

Increase in temperature is a fact. We have have had record breaking global temperature in the past decade. You're just going to pretend that it's not the case? We have rising sea levels. You're going to pretend that's not happening either?

Because of the higher temperatures, moisture stays in the air longer and it builds for a more extreme storm. This is why we're seeing an increase in large storms with record breaking rain falls.

Global warming is causing more extreme storms

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

Seriously? You are still in denial?

Increase in temperature is a fact. We have have had record breaking global temperature in the past decade. You're just going to pretend that it's not the case? We have rising sea levels. You're going to pretend that's not happening either?

Because of the higher temperatures, moisture stays in the air longer and it builds for a more extreme storm. This is why we're seeing an increase in large storms with record breaking rain falls.

Global warming is causing more extreme storms

Sure but we haven't seen the Hurricanes that were predicted back when Katrina hit. 

It's funny, anytime the weather is normal to cool, the refrain is weather is not climate. But anytime the weather is not normal CLIMATE CHANGE!!!!!! This spring was  very wet in Southern Ontario CLIMATE CHANGE!!! last Summer there was a pretty significant period of dryness CLIMATE CHANGE!!!! Anytime weather isn't perfect people are looking for reasons to blame the first world, it becomes tiresome. 

I'm not saying Climate Change isn't a thing, I'm just saying that predictions have been pretty useless so far.

Climate Change is beyond my control. My carbon footprint is a fraction of those who are telling me that driving to work is killing the planet.

40 minutes ago, Boges said:

Sure but we haven't seen the Hurricanes that were predicted back when Katrina hit. 

It's funny, anytime the weather is normal to cool, the refrain is weather is not climate. But anytime the weather is not normal CLIMATE CHANGE!!!!!! This spring was  very wet in Southern Ontario CLIMATE CHANGE!!! last Summer there was a pretty significant period of dryness CLIMATE CHANGE!!!! Anytime weather isn't perfect people are looking for reasons to blame the first world, it becomes tiresome. 

I'm not saying Climate Change isn't a thing, I'm just saying that predictions have been pretty useless so far.

Climate Change is beyond my control. My carbon footprint is a fraction of those who are telling me that driving to work is killing the planet.

If someone told you emphatically that recognizing the existence of climate change is not blaming the first world, would you feel differently?

Reports are coming out of Texans using their personal water craft to rescue people who are stranded. Trump and his team arrived to talk to locals and help them get whatever they need. Whole thing reminds me of a scene from Dunkirk-

donald-trump-winston-churchill-bust-7570

Edited by OftenWrong

2 hours ago, Boges said:

The increase in heavy storms and floods are already happening. Different parts of the world are experiencing this to a different degree.

It's not going to suddenly hit us over night. This is a gradual change. The increase in temperature and water levels is already a thing. Just because there is fluctuation in the city where you live, it doesn't mean that the average earth temperature is not increasing. And storms get heavier and we will see more heavy rainfalls due to this. It's just a fact. 

2016temperature.png?itok=6prlkMEX

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

The increase in heavy storms and floods are already happening. Different parts of the world are experiencing this to a different degree.

It's not going to suddenly hit us over night. This is a gradual change. The increase in temperature and water levels is already a thing. Just because there is fluctuation in the city where you live, it doesn't mean that the average earth temperature is not increasing. And storms get heavier and we will see more heavy rainfalls due to this. It's just a fact.

In your apocalyptic scenario, instead of hand wringing, perhaps it would be best to do nothing and let things unfold naturally. I mean, the biggest offenders in the world don't seem too concerned about their negative impact on the earth's environment, so why should other nations ruin their own economies trying to undo the harm caused by those offenders? In other words, let nature take its course since we really don't know where it would lead.

Seems the response by authorities has been very good considering the scale of the disaster. All people seem to be able to get riled up about is when a Televangelist started taking in survivors and the Texas Rangers refusing to switch home series' with the Astros. 

Edited by Boges

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

President Trump could walk on water and the headline would be "Trump can't swim."

And his supporters would say "He's frickin Jesus".  It cuts both ways.  If he even actually does something, instead up opening his gaping mouth and congratulating himself on Texas, or whatever he's f*cked up in the past 24 hours then we will be able to look at that.  In the meantime, healthcare, budgets, trade deals, and Texas is all a big zilch that leaves the lovers and haters fighting over his latest bullshit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

You know President Trump is doing just fine when he continues to enrage the apoplectic sycophants...in Canada.

You forgot the U.S. as well. Did you count how many times Pence mentioned Trump's name in his speech to Rockland. We all know who his audience is. Trump and God. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

You forgot the U.S. as well. Did you count how many times Pence mentioned Trump's name in his speech to Rockland. We all know who his audience is. Trump and God. 

No, I specifically wanted to point out how very badly the Trump haters in Canada want to flip out at any opportunity they see in American media.

Trump and God cause hurricanes and flooding...must be true.

• Like 1

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

No, I specifically wanted to point out how very badly the Trump haters in Canada want to flip out at any opportunity they see in American media.

Trump and God cause hurricanes and flooding...must be true.

And apparently God has been working overtime. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

And his supporters would say "He's frickin Jesus".  It cuts both ways.  If he even actually does something, instead up opening his gaping mouth and congratulating himself on Texas, or whatever he's f*cked up in the past 24 hours then we will be able to look at that.  In the meantime, healthcare, budgets, trade deals, and Texas is all a big zilch that leaves the lovers and haters fighting over his latest bullshit.

I confess it was taken from a comment about Joe Clark, I think by Joe Clark but I'm not sure. :D

Edited by Queenmandy85
Emoticon added

18 hours ago, capricorn said:

In your apocalyptic scenario, instead of hand wringing, perhaps it would be best to do nothing and let things unfold naturally. I mean, the biggest offenders in the world don't seem too concerned about their negative impact on the earth's environment, so why should other nations ruin their own economies trying to undo the harm caused by those offenders? In other words, let nature take its course since we really don't know where it would lead.

How does change happen?

When women were not allowed to vote, did the policy change one morning, with the politicians waking up saying, "Hey. This isn't right.  Let's change the rules." If I or you or anyone believes there can be improvement, we should voice our opinion, instead of hiding behind "let things unfold naturally". There isn't anything natural about how governments and policy work.

Our policies in regards to the environment are changing. Slowly. Some of the policies are stupid and ineffective, but there is movement towards the right direction.

Our economies should adapt. There are already more jobs in clean energy than fossil fuel energy industries. Not only that, but the effect that fossil fuel will have on the environment will cost a lot of money in the future. So if you don't give a shit about how dirty and ugly our world will look with a polluting system, then at least look at the economic advantage of weening ourselves away from fossil fuel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

You know President Trump is doing just fine when he continues to enrage the apoplectic sycophants...in Canada.

Yes, because this is the job of the Commander-in-Chief.  Pissing off Canadians, while Texans drown and are poisoned by exploding chemical plants.  Of course as your post shows, you are pleased.

Edited by Michael Hardner