Disaster in Texas

Some points to consider in this disaster:

Isn't it ironic that this disaster has occurred after Trump has withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accord.  So sad!  Will he change his tune?

It's so very hard for me to see any empathy expressed by Trump on this disaster, even after his tour of the area.

I wonder how many bodies have yet to be discovered in those waters?

Should there have been more mandatory evacuations in parts of Houston?  Granted, the logistics for mandatory evacution of 2.5 million would be extremely difficult if not impossible, but should more counties have been evacuated? 

22 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Isn't it ironic that this disaster has occurred after Trump has withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accord.  So sad!  Will he change his tune?

Since CC isn't real, he isn't likely to consider it related to this event.

23 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

It's so very hard for me to see any empathy expressed by Trump on this disaster, even after his tour of the area.

I didn't see much of his tour, but what I saw suggested he saw it as a way to improve his brand:  do a better job with rebuilding than has ever been done before.  If he does do a good job, especially in the short term, his base will doubtless consider it vindication of his love for Americans and his willingness to take care of them.  Although I am perhaps a bit cynical - I wonder if he'll try a little 'nudge nudge wink wink' to have White Americans prioritized over others.

31 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Sad thought, hope you are wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Since CC isn't real, he isn't likely to consider it related to this event.

I didn't see much of his tour, but what I saw suggested he saw it as a way to improve his brand:  do a better job with rebuilding than has ever been done before.  If he does do a good job, especially in the short term, his base will doubtless consider it vindication of his love for Americans and his willingness to take care of them.  Although I am perhaps a bit cynical - I wonder if he'll try a little 'nudge nudge wink wink' to have White Americans prioritized over others.

Sad thought, hope you are wrong.

I honestly think that because of trump's narcissistic personality it will be too foreign for him to express empathy, however it's good to see that Texas and now Louisiana are getting the help they need. 

28 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I didn't see much of his tour, but what I saw suggested he saw it as a way to improve his brand

Not at all like The Justin visiting wildfire sites in Ft Mac and BC.  Nope.  Not at all.

29 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I wonder if he'll try a little 'nudge nudge wink wink' to have White Americans prioritized over others.

You mean the way our guy wants to try a little "'nudge nudge wink wink' to have non-White Americans Canadians prioritized over others"?  Your "curiosity" doesn't even make sense.  Sorry.

• Like 1

Just now, Hydraboss said:

Not at all like The Justin visiting wildfire sites in Ft Mac and BC.  Nope.  Not at all.

You mean the way our guy wants to try a little "'nudge nudge wink wink' to have non-White Americans Canadians prioritized over others"?  Your "curiosity" doesn't even make sense.  Sorry.

You like Trump?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hydraboss said:

Trudeau's quotes on that visit were pretty somber.  But I'll allow for the possibility that both men said a range of things and that Trump was only quoted on his ridiculous "what a crowd" comment today.

Here are the quotes from both men - see if you can figure out who is who.  And provide your own if you have them:

"What a crowd, what a turnout"
"
"I'm pleased to be here now, but my first priority, as always, is not getting in the way of work emergency services does.  We were looking for a time for me to come to thank people but not get in the way."

"This is historic, it's epic"

"We are extraordinarily lucky as a country [that] in difficult times and situations, we step up and are there for each other. It goes to the heart of who we are."

40 minutes ago, Hydraboss said:

Not at all.  I just find it amusing that so many people accuse him of doing exactly what Trudeau does, but when it's Justin, those same actions somehow turn into magazine cover photo ops.

Trudeau's photo ops are cynical, because they are competently engineered and people actually believe the hype.  Trump's are an oafish pratfall.  It doesn't really matter, though, both of them are constructs but one is oafishly executed and designed to piss off 1/2 the country.

10 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

I saw a headline that caught my attention.

Hurricane Harvey: Texas' biggest church 'closes doors' during Hurricane Harvey

Pastor Joel Osteen criticised for not immediately offering 16,000-seater arena that would make for 'great shelter', while dozens of smaller churches and mosques have done so

Source

This is more divisiveness getting ahead of facts.  The church indicated that they weren't accessible by the time this had already made the rounds on facebook.  It's not a real 'church' anyway, but a big Sunday entertainment business but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  Fake news...

3 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

I rolled my eyes so hard when i read that i think they went all the way around.

This was the first major Hurricane, category 3 or greater to hit the US in 12 years, there have only been four category 4 storms or greater to hit the US since 1970, in the 40-50 years before that there were 14.  In 1900 a hurricane hit Galveston Texas, estimates place the death toll of that storm between six and twelve THOUSAND.  Harvey has now broken the US rainfall record at 52 inches, bear in mind that there are many more instruments in many more locations to measure this rainfall than there would have been in 1900, in 1979 another much weaker Hurricane dropped 43 inches in Houston.  So there is no global warming trend to be found here, you really only do a disservice to the science when you suggest otherwise, there is plenty of evidence for AGW without conflating every storm with it.  It doesn't help.  It was a strong storm and it stalled in a bad spot, if it had moved as they normally do we wouldn't be having this conversation, it was a category 4, no new category was required to classify it, it wasn't anything new.  That Galveston storm didn't stall, it went straight north through the US and Canada towards NFLD, it killed dozens in shipwrecks.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

This is more divisiveness getting ahead of facts.  The church indicated that they weren't accessible by the time this had already made the rounds on facebook.  It's not a real 'church' anyway, but a big Sunday entertainment business but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  Fake news...

How is it Fake news? I don't think you looked into it well enough before dismissing it.

The church 'indicated' that they weren't accessible, but many have said they live in the area and the church is accessible and is giving out fake information.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

How is it Fake news? I don't think you looked into it well enough before dismissing it.

The church 'indicated' that they weren't accessible, but many have said they live in the area and the church is accessible and is giving out fake information.

In that case, the pics they circulated showing the interior of the Church was flooded were faked.  Now the gripe is ... Why didn't they open the church as soon as the waters receded?  Personal experience from two minor floods tells me that things take a while to dry out - so waiting a bit isn't particularly suspicious, imo.  To me, this really does look like an attempt to discredit this Church for some reason.  

Anyway, its open and accepting evacuees now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

I was all over it this morning.  Snopes listed it as 'unproven' and that's where it sat until I heard the church made a statement.

8 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

My only source besides the articles has been people on twitter mentioning how they live in the same area as the church and the flood has not effected that area.

Like this video: 

And these photos: 

Well maybe he had to hide the gold and the virgins before letting people in. 

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

They claimed, again as of this AM's coverage, that there wasn't access, or they were cut off somehow.  As I said, status was 'unproven' and shared without full knowledge of the story.

So even though Snopes has called it 'unproven', you went with what the so-called church 'indicated' in a statement?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

No, as the natural disaster in Texas is completely unrelated and would not have been mitigated had Trump never started the THREE YEAR process to withdraw from the Paris agreement.

Not much empathy expressed here either.    How many bodies would be sufficient to mount another attack on Trump ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

Just now, Hudson Jones said:

So even though Snopes has called it 'unproven', you went with what the so-called church 'indicated' in a statement?

The story was unproven - no proper sourcing - so I don't believe it.  The church's response doesn't satisfy me either.  It's an unproven allegation until I get more information.  

5 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Should there have been more mandatory evacuations in parts of Houston?  Granted, the logistics for mandatory evacution of 2.5 million would be extremely difficult if not impossible, but should more counties have been evacuated? 

If you and Dialamah are going to parrot CNN, at least try and shake up the wording just a little.  I know you have no independant thoughts, but just try a little harder - so sad!

11 hours ago, Hudson Jones said:

And many have shown pictures of the churches being flooded. It's a smear job. Since when are exterior photos from someone driving by real news? 

It's the type of public shaming that actually makes Social Media a disgusting affair. People don't care about flood victims, they just want to shame a Televangalist. 

It's being used as a shelter now but because it wasn't available when Social Media deemed it had to be Osteen is now an evil man. 

As for the Climate Change thing. The US hasn't had a major hurricane in years. I thought Climate Change was going to make these common. 

The Caribbean actually has a problem with seaweed because there are fewer hurricanes breaking up the islands of them in open water. 

9 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

If you and Dialamah are going to parrot CNN, at least try and shake up the wording just a little.  I know you have no independant thoughts, but just try a little harder - so sad!

Speaking of CNN, when the hurricane made landfall on Friday morning, host Jake Tapper said "We've been wondering for months how Trump would react to a national disaster." As if CNN didn't already have enough material regarding Trump to report on, it appears they generated a list of imaginary issues, just in case.