Question For All MLWers

Now that statues have become a major point of contention in the USA after years of little mention, I must pose a question to MLW members to see if anyone will hazard a guess.

WIll the only outside statue of a Confederate military officer in Washington D.C, that of Albert Pike, Sovereign Grand Commander of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, be vandalized, damaged and eventually removed as a result of the anti-Confederate hysteria now sweeping America?

Keep your answers concise. Merci.

A bit of a conflict on the ol' tree of victim-hood.

Pike, for those unaware, was commander of the Confederate Indian Territories and concluded several treaties with tribes west of the Mississippi.  He raised all-Native regiments for the Confederacy...who...surprise, surprise...weren't at all keen on giving-up their slaves and traditional lifestyles to the Abolitionists. 

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

A bit of a conflict on the ol' tree of victim-hood.

Pike, for those unaware, was commander of the Confederate Indian Territories and concluded several treaties with tribes west of the Mississippi.  He raised all-Native regiments for the Confederacy...who...surprise, surprise...weren't at all keen on giving-up their slaves and traditional lifestyles to the Abolitionists. 

I wonder if the Black Block/Antifa goons will lay a beating on the fallen statue of Pike?

1 minute ago, Cum Laude said:

I wonder if the Black Block/Antifa goons will lay a beating on the fallen statue of Pike?

He was loved among the tribes he treated with...hard to say. Lots of Natives joined the Rebs. Stand Watie is perhaps the most famous of that group. He was the LAST Confederate General to surrender in the Civil War. Let the SJWs chew on that one...lol.

56 minutes ago, Topaz said:

I just shake my head after watching the US news and IF these  stautes were important back then, why not now. Seems to me, Congress better get back to work and pass a health care bill because many Americans need mental health providers or the FBI to arrest them!

This is all a distraction. It's meaningless. Distractions is what those in control want...wouldn't want the proles to know what is really going on, do we?

53 minutes ago, Cum Laude said:

Why would you post if you don't really care? Maybe stray from your CBC and CNN once in awhile.

I initially cared, so I google'd the guys name since i'd never heard of him. Then I wrote the first sentence of my response.  Then I came to the conclusion that it's just a stupid statue & I'm tired of reading about evil American statues & that I didn't actually care if it stayed or came down whatsoever since it will have zero impact on my life or likely anyone else's in any meaningful way.

38 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I initially cared, so I google'd the guys name since i'd never heard of him. Then I wrote the first sentence of my response.  Then I came to the conclusion that it's just a stupid statue & I'm tired of reading about evil American statues & that I didn't actually care if it stayed or came down whatsoever since it will have zero impact on my life or likely anyone else's in any meaningful way.

Umm. Ok. You don't understand what I said. Time for me to move on and add you to my group of those who simply don't understand the gravity of certain questions.

1 hour ago, Cum Laude said:

Umm. Ok. You don't understand what I said. Time for me to move on and add you to my group of those who simply don't understand the gravity of certain questions.

Uh ok sure. 

Well here's your answer to your original question for the thread.  I'll keep it concise:  Yes, removed.

I suppose eventually, everything that upsets anybody will be banned.  We will be like those fat bastards floating around on beds in the movie Wall-E, except with blindfolds and earplugs, in case something wasn't removed fast enough.

A bit of info about Pike and his Cherokee troops at Elkhorn Tavern...also known as the Battle of Pea Ridge. It was the largest battle fought in the Trans-Mississippi.

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/articles/cherokees-pea-ridge

Wiki's entry on the battle...Van Dorn was the overall commander...a very colourful character. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pea_Ridge

Civil War Trust's...

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/civil-war/battles/pea-ridge

Pea Ridge was where Pike and his Native troops were accused of war crimes...scalping their Union enemies alive.

15 hours ago, Topaz said:

I just shake my head after watching the US news and IF these  stautes were important back then, why not now. Seems to me, Congress better get back to work and pass a health care bill because many Americans need mental health providers or the FBI to arrest them!

I regard this as no different from ISIL destroying antiquities in the Middle East.   To try to connect politics of the day with historical artifacts is nothing short of F...ing STUPID.  The "alt right" and "looney left" nonsense has become about as idiotic and destructive as radical Islam.

56 minutes ago, cannuck said:

I regard this as no different from ISIL destroying antiquities in the Middle East.   To try to connect politics of the day with historical artifacts is nothing short of F...ing STUPID.  The "alt right" and "looney left" nonsense has become about as idiotic and destructive as radical Islam.

These aren't really antiquitues though, most having been erected when racial tensions were at their highest during Jim Crow era and during the 60s.  They seemed to be more of a reminder and glorification of a slave-owning era than anything else.  

On the other hand, Confederate General Robert Mahone had a distinguished army career and was considered a potential successor to R.L. Lee is completely ignored and even vilified.  Why?  Because after the war ended he supported Black emancipation. Thus, you won't find statues of him in honor of either his army career or his work to improve the lives of 1000s of Black Americans. 

ISIS tears down ancient remembrances of Islam from a period when it was a progressive movement in the world, because they don't want that remembered.  They want their own dark and destructive ideology in its place.  Tearing down statues of Confederate war heroes who supported an ideology of slavery and inequality is more akin to the removal of statues of Saddam Hussein, to which nobody objected.

Edited by dialamah
Forgot link

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

These aren't really antiquitues though, most having been erected when racial tensions were at their highest during Jim Crow era and during the 60s.  They seemed to be more of a reminder and glorification of a slave-owning era than anything else.  

On the other hand, Confederate General Robert Mahone had a distinguished army career and was considered a potential successor to R.L. Lee is completely ignored and even vilified.  Why?  Because after the war ended he supported Black emancipation. Thus, you won't find statues of him in honor of either his army career or his work to improve the lives of 1000s of Black Americans. 

ISIS tears down ancient remembrances of Islam from a period when it was a progressive movement in the world, because they don't want that remembered.  They want their own dark and destructive ideology in its place.  Tearing down statues of Confederate war heroes who supported an ideology of slavery and inequality is more akin to the removal of statues of Saddam Hussein, to which nobody objected.

Well then, keep smashing them. What could possibly go wrong?

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Thanks but what did I say? 

I came to the conclusion that it's just a stupid statue & I'm tired of reading about evil American statues & that I didn't actually care if it stayed or came down whatsoever since it will have zero impact on my life or likely anyone else's in any meaningful way.

and I agree.

3 hours ago, Cum Laude said:

That's because you have no idea who Albert Pike is, and the oligarchs wouldn't let his statue tumble. Sometimes it's best to remain unresponsive in a topic you and MG know nothing about.

But you asked me. In the OP title "A question for all MLWers" and in the initial post 

Now that statues have become a major point of contention in the USA after years of little mention, I must pose a question to MLW members to see if anyone will hazard a guess.

and I further read member Hardners response and agreed with it.     So do not now speak as if I am interfereing. 

22 hours ago, Cum Laude said:

WIll the only outside statue of a Confederate military officer in Washington D.C, that of Albert Pike, Sovereign Grand Commander of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, be vandalized, damaged and eventually removed as a result of the anti-Confederate hysteria now sweeping America?

I wonder what will happen to "honest" Abe.

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

Of what good was it for Mahone to support something that had already happened? 

Your second paragraph has got some really good propaganda in it. Usually you aren't the propaganda type.