The Battle of Charlottesville

It also doesn't surprise me that elements of both sides showed up for a fight. The same mob seems to show up everywhere, whether it is something like this, G20 conferences or even the 2010 Olympics. Unfortunately they take the focus away from legitimate protesters like the unfortunate young women who was killed. Of course, none of this changes one little bit what white supremacists, neo nazis and the KKK stand for, or would be capable of if they ever come into a position of real power.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

You tripled the number of attacks cited by the clearly unbiased "religion of peace" website and then you ask how you were exaggerating?

I did? Check the left hand side, the third box or so down. The number there is 31,572.

23 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

But the right-wingers you defend have not committed just one terrorist attack. They are responsible for the majority of terrorist attacks on U.S. soil since 9/11 with an average of 300 a year.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/u-s-sees-300-violent-attacks-inspired-far-right-every-year/

But I'm NOT defending these people. I have never defended them.

16 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

Right-wingers have too. Hitler, Franco, Reagan, Cheney...  What's your point?

And you expect to be taken seriously?

All this does is give another reason for defending freedom of speech. Even of Nazis. Because to fanatics, everyone is a Nazi if they disagree with them. Just as our Turkish member crows with delight whenever some journalist or college professor or human rights people are arrested as "terrorists" so too do people from the Left eagerly label anyone on the right who disagrees with them with the handy all purpose labels of Nazi and racist. So we have to defend the rights of Nazis because the people most strongly attacking them think we're all Nazis anyway.

Edited by Argus

3 minutes ago, Wilber said:

.... Of course, none of this changes one little bit what white supremacists, neo nazis and the KKK stand for, or would be capable of if they ever come into a position of real power.

They already have.....that's how Canada and the United States came to exist and dominate this continent.

25 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Betsy is a die-hard Trump supporter and this was a pro-Trump rally.  Trump and Trumpsters can do no wrong.

No it wasn't. It was a pro white supremacy rally.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

And you expect to be taken seriously?

All this does is give another reason for defending freedom of speech. Even of Nazis. Because to fanatics, everyone is a Nazi if they disagree with them. Just as our Turkish member crows with delight whenever some journalist or college professor or human rights people are arrested as "terrorists" so too do people from the Left eagerly label anyone on the right who disagrees with them with the handy all purpose labels of Nazi and racist. So we have to defend the rights of Nazis because the people most strongly attacking them think we're all Nazis anyway.

And comparing Hitler to Reagan is kind of like comparing the NDP to Stalin, wouldn't you say? 

8 minutes ago, Wilber said:

I don't know how much we can physically do about slavery in the rest of the world. Perhaps we could do more. We do have laws against human trafficking.

Canadian educated/born architects...for example...who have no issue using indentured labour to build modern pyramids in the Middle East.  Telling them to stop making millions while folks fall from bamboo scaffolding to their deaths might be a place to start.

Stop doing business with these guys...oil too.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Canadian educated/born architects...for example...who have no issue using indentured labour to build modern pyramids in the Middle East.  Telling them to stop making millions while folks fall from bamboo scaffolding to their deaths might be a place to start.

Stop doing business with these guys...oil too.

Point taken but how far do you go? Is there a will to do without all the goods we buy that come from places with questionable labour practices? Do I villainize Canadian construction companies and architects while typing away on my made in China iPhone or MacBook?

1 minute ago, Wilber said:

Point taken but how far do you go? Is there a will to do without all the goods we buy that come from places with questionable labour practices? Do I villainize Canadian construction companies and architects while typing away on my made in China iPhone or MacBook?

If I was pulling the strings, Red China would be treated as it deserves.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Amongst other things this was also a unite the right rally that the Nazis and white supremacists in Charlottesville were holding but like Islam the right-wing isn't a race so its understandable why you and Hal and the usual suspects around here are so defensive.  You have priorities.

Generally speaking.....what's wrong about the title, "unite the right?"  Is there something wrong with being "right?"    That Being "right-wing" doesn't necessarily mean being KKK or supremacist.  Otherwise, being "left wing" would mean being a communist!  There are extremists on both sides!

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

What's wrong about the title "unite the right?"  What's wrong with being "right?"  

Being "right-wing" doesn't necessarily mean being KKK or supremacist?

It does in this case which suggests there is something seriously wrong with the right. It's metasticizing the same way the more conservative portions of Islam has.

9 minutes ago, betsy said:

Generally speaking.....what's wrong about the title, "unite the right?"  Is there something wrong with being "right?"    That Being "right-wing" doesn't necessarily mean being KKK or supremacist.  Otherwise, being "left wing" would mean being a communist!  There are extremists on both sides!

Why would you want to be "united" with the people who were at that rally?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LonJowett said:

It means it was planned beforehand.

Why won't you answer why you feel it's important that that distinction is made in this forum? Is it less heinous a crime to you if he didn't plan it beforehand? Personally, I think he's Nazi scum whether he planned it or not. What do you think?

:rolleyes:

I already explained why I made those post.  

You ask if it is less heinous to me....doh, you should ask the lawmakers that question!  Ask them why there's a difference between first and second degree murder!  They'll all be raising their eyebrows at you!

You can't comprehend why a planned murder (coldblooded),  is more heinous than something that just happened?  :lol:  

Edited by betsy

12 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Why would you want to be "united" with the people who were at that rally?

I'm talking about the title, or the purpose.  Unite the right - nothing wrong with that.

Extremists and anarchists  will be present in protests and rallies  - you can't do anything about that!  Just look at what happened to the protests whenever a black was killed!  "Outsiders" exploit the situation to make mayhem.

Events like this are like powder kegs. 

Edited by betsy

28 minutes ago, betsy said:

:rolleyes:

I already explained why I made those post.  

Can you repeat? Specifically, why do you feel compelled to make sure everyone knows the Nazi committed the "lesser" crime of second degree murder? Are you trying to rationalize that Islamic terrorism is worse because it was planned in advance? That's the only reason I can figure.

And you said 100,000, which is 31,572 more than tripled. I thought the math was obvious.

But I never said there were 100,000 deaths. I said there were 100,000 Muslims involved.

Edited by Argus

And comparing Hitler to Reagan is kind of like comparing the NDP to Stalin, wouldn't you say? 

I didn't compare the NDP to Stalin. I said a number of them were Marxists/Communists, and that Marxism/Communism was responsible for more misery and deaths than the Nazis. Despite this, Nazis are (properly) anathema to most people, and no political party would want one associated with it in any way. Communists and Marxists, on the other hand, are considered quite respectable by the Left.

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

This "Unite the Right" rally was organized by white supremacists. Why do you think this is part of the right that should be united with?

I don't know who really organized the unite-the-right rally.   Heck, even Trump's campaign rally was being linked to Supremacists! 

There's a tendency to demonize anything conservative that dares tackles immigration policies and other "unpolitically-correct" stuffs, by labelling them as racists.    Liberals nowadays try to sidestep the real issue (or argument), and they try their darndest to make it look like the motivation is racism. 

As an example, just look at the determined attempt of LonJowell to make something sinister of my post which merely explained the facts about second degree murder.  Michael Hardner even lied and had added to my statement.....to suit his narrative that I'm trying to make excuses and downplay the crime. 

Nevertheless, there's nothing wrong about the name of the rally.

Edited by betsy

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, you keep telling us that.  I guess he's an ok guy then, or at least on the same level as people protesting fascists?

The Soros paid to commit chaos and havoc ANTIFA communist thugs were the ones who started the riot, not the peaceful protesters who were there using their right to rally together to demonstrate under the protection of the 1st amendment of the US constitution. You watch and read to much fake and phony lying liberal media bull chit. You need to read and watch and get the other side of the story once in awhile that your beloved liberal media will never tell you. I know that sometimes it can be hard to want to listen to common sense and logic and maybe even hear the truth but sometimes you have to try and listen to the other side of the story for a change. To know only one side of the story is to know nothing at all. Is that you? 

Anyway, wouldn't it be great if Canadians also had a 1st amendment right, uhmm?  

6 minutes ago, taxme said:

The Soros paid to commit chaos and havoc ANTIFA communist thugs were the ones who started the riot, not the peaceful protesters who were there using their right to rally together to demonstrate under the protection of the 1st amendment of the US constitution. You watch and read to much fake and phony lying liberal media bull chit. You need to read and watch and get the other side of the story once in awhile that your beloved liberal media will never tell you. I know that sometimes it can be hard to want to listen to common sense and logic and maybe even hear the truth but sometimes you have to try and listen to the other side of the story for a change. To know only one side of the story is to know nothing at all. Is that you? 

Anyway, wouldn't it be great if Canadians also had a 1st amendment right, uhmm?  

I wouldn't be surprised that those who instigated the violence were paid.  Have you noticed how immediately after the violence - every media were gunning for Trump?

Even the Mayor of Charlottesville was so stupid as to go on national tv and blame Trump for the violence that happened in his domain, and it need not bhappen had there been a sensible leader in Charlottesville!

And now that Trump was pressured to make a tougher stance....ot's still not enough.  They say it's too late!  Too late for what?  Heck, the Mayor didn't even do anything to prevent the bloodshed from happening!  That's his responsibility!

The more I listen to the media now, and all these folks gunning for Trump because of this - the more I'm convinced that somebody had set this up, as a way to attack Trump.  It's all about Trump!  The leftwingers are really going all out to oust him from the presidency.

Edited by betsy

52 minutes ago, Argus said:

I didn't compare the NDP to Stalin. I said a number of them were Marxists/Communists, and that Marxism/Communism was responsible for more misery and deaths than the Nazis. Despite this, Nazis are (properly) anathema to most people, and no political party would want one associated with it in any way. Communists and Marxists, on the other hand, are considered quite respectable by the Left.

I agree. It is strange how communism is quite acceptable by most people these days in North America and else but Nazism was somehow all bad which it was not. The Nazi's never murdered their own people by the millions like the communists did. They obviously have not read anything about all the misery and murdering that the communist dictators inflicted on their people. I guess the reason for that is that the rulers of the world don't want the people to learn all about communism and the atrocities committed by communists. The left is full of brainless twits.