This is why governments suck.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto-man-builds-park-stairs-for-550-irking-city-after-65-000-estimate-1.3510237

A Toronto man who spent $550 building a set of stairs in his community park says he has no regrets, despite the city’s insistence that he should have waited for a $65,000 city project to handle the problem. The city is now threatening to tear down the stairs because they were not built to regulation standards.

Retired mechanic Adi Astl says he took it upon himself to build the stairs after several neighbours fell down the steep path to a community garden in Tom Riley Park, in Etobicoke, Ont. Astl says his neighbours chipped in on the project, which only ended up costing $550 – a far cry from the $65,000-$150,000 price tag the city had estimated for the job.

I'm sure it will eventually be dismantled at a cost to the taxpayer because . . . safety. Obviously $550 is making a point on the cheap. But couldn't it have been done for $10gs? 

Governments do not spend the money they steal from us responsibly. The reason? Because they can steal it from us and have no accountability on how they spend it until they face election.

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

But couldn't it have been done for $10gs?  

Yes, but that would have been underkill.  You are paying for the lobbyists who contribute to the councillors.

Mandate web-only and free social media advertising, and eliminate campaign deductions and you will reduce the stupidity IMO.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, but that would have been underkill.  You are paying for the lobbyists who contribute to the councillors.

Mandate web-only and free social media advertising, and eliminate campaign deductions and you will reduce the stupidity IMO.

Which is why governments suck. 

13 minutes ago, Boges said:

I do think social media has helped because citizens can spot when civil servants are wasting money and film them. But then they're usually unionized so discipline is difficult. 

The problem isn't a few civil servants wasting paper clips.  Your $65K staircase comes from a complex array of problems.

17 hours ago, Wilber said:

I doubt this is a union issue. If it is built on city property, the city will be liable for any injuries that result from its use. Ass covering isn't cheap you know.

I wonder how much it cost to cover their ass for the dirt path and piece of rope that were there before he built the stairs?

22 hours ago, Boges said:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto-man-builds-park-stairs-for-550-irking-city-after-65-000-estimate-1.3510237

I'm sure it will eventually be dismantled at a cost to the taxpayer because . . . safety. Obviously $550 is making a point on the cheap. But couldn't it have been done for $10gs? 

Governments do not spend the money they steal from us responsibly. The reason? Because they can steal it from us and have no accountability on how they spend it until they face election.

Hundreds of billions of taxpayer's tax dollars have been stolen from we the people for decades now and this robbery is allowed to continue on to this day without a whimper from we the people. The main reason why they know they can steal this money is plain and simple? The people don't give a chit. Until that changes the robberies will continue. 

On 7/20/2017 at 1:54 PM, The_Squid said:

Seems like a non-story...  council has asked to get a more "realistic" cost estimate...   the city looked at the stairs, and it seems the stairs aren't safe enough.  

It looks more like some carpenters union started to complain about the guy not having a ticket to be able to build those stairs to the city's regulation standards. Some union probably wanted that contract so they could bilk the taxpayer's of their tax dollars and make lots of money from getting the contract. The stairs look pretty safe to me. This just shows that government is the problem, and never the solution. Politicians don't give a dam about the taxpayer's tax dollars. They just enjoy blowing those tax dollars. Politicians are not worth the salaries and perks that they get. Why is it that we never see politicians get laid off? Matter of fact we seem to always get more of them. Shocking indeed. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎19 at 1:12 PM, Boges said:

When the taxpayer's start to give a chit about how their tax dollars are being blown than things will change, and it will make these thieves in the government start to pay more attention to what they are doing with our tax dollars. Politicians know that they can get away with whatever they do because they know that the electorate will only shrug their shoulders, and also know that nothing will happen to them, and their misuse of our tax dollars. It's long overdue for the taxpayer's to speak up. I have tried but have failed here. No one seems to care. And voting in another party will change nothing at all. Sad indeed.

3 hours ago, taxme said:

When the taxpayer's start to give a chit about how their tax dollars are being blown than things will change, and it will make these thieves in the government start to pay more attention to what they are doing with our tax dollars. Politicians know that they can get away with whatever they do because they know that the electorate will only shrug their shoulders, and also know that nothing will happen to them, and their misuse of our tax dollars. It's long overdue for the taxpayer's to speak up. I have tried but have failed here. No one seems to care. And voting in another party will change nothing at all. Sad indeed.

People are complacent and happier being in a mildly corrupt society than being all puritan about things and having to fight for some fleeting form of justice, equality and fairness. I still got beer in the fridge.

11 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

People are complacent and happier being in a mildly corrupt society than being all puritan about things and having to fight for some fleeting form of justice, equality and fairness. I still got beer in the fridge.

But yet those same complacent people still whine like a bunch of babies over something that displeases them. Why do they even bother at all if they don't care about anything anyway? It is quite obvious that most Canadians prefer to complain about something rather than do anything about it. You are lucky. I have no beer in my fridge. :D