The next Governor General

The assault charges were dropped, were they not?   Payette says someone lied, which the police determined within two weeks.  There was also no evidence of wrongdoing in the pedestrian death according to police inveatigation.  So I fail to see why people would waste time on these stories, other than to smear her name by any means possible.

I personally preferred Harper's selection process, which JT chose not to follow.  I would also like know if our government's background checks found these two incidents, irrelevant though they might be.   

20 minutes ago, Boges said:

How is the current GG an embarrassment? Because he's an Old White Man? He touched the Queen recently? 

If the PM can't pick the GG then who should? This newly independent Sentate that the PM let loose on Canada? 

No, the WAY of selecting the GG is wrong, not Johnston who has been very good at his job, including helping a frail old English lady down the steps of Canada House.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

6 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So I fail to see why people would waste time on these stories, other than to smear her name by any means possible.

It's not a case of smearing her. It's the fact that when asked if he knew of those incidents when he chose Payette, Trudeau repeatedly refused to answer. Canadians are entitled to know these answers.

5 minutes ago, capricorn said:

It's not a case of smearing her. It's the fact that when asked if he knew of those incidents when he chose Payette, Trudeau repeatedly refused to answer. Canadians are entitled to know these answers.

Why?  Canadians shouldn't even have known about the charges.  They were not only dropped, but expunged.  They're irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, capricorn said:

This

These revelations about Payette aren't super serious but they should have been disclosed. JT is showing, yet again, his administration is pure amateur hour. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smallc said:

Why?  Canadians shouldn't even have known about the charges.  They were not only dropped, but expunged.  They're irrelevant.

Cool. Then why isn't our PM saying as such? He's silent. Why? Probably because she wasn't properly vetted.

AMATEUR HOUR!

5 minutes ago, Topaz said:

The thing about the GG is that especially if its a male, they get to wear a military uniform even if they were never in the military and  I UNDERSTAND its part of the job but it seems like a double -standard to me.

Is that really a pressing issue? 

3 of the last 4 have been women, assuming Payette doesn't recuse herself. 

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

The thing about the GG is that especially if its a male, they get to wear a military uniform even if they were never in the military and  I UNDERSTAND its part of the job but it seems like a double -standard to me.

It's intended as a gesture of respect to the military and is not gender specific. Michaelle Jean wore an army uniform to Remembrance Day ceremonies.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Apparently Payette is more qualified in space than on public streets with her SUV. 

She is Canada's "Ted Kennedy".

Neither of them are the top war criminals, baby killers, terrorists, ... that you love and respect. Did you get to take part in any US war criminals? You have a military "mind". 

2 hours ago, Boges said:

Cool. Then why isn't our PM saying as such? He's silent. Why? Probably because she wasn't properly vetted.

Quite the assumption - are you prepared to back it up?

There's no way he should be commenting on a record that was expunged.

Krikey...Julie Payette comes to my country and mayhem ensues (in Maryland).

What a great GG candidate !!!

Meanwhile, media reports surfaced late Wednesday that said Payette was also involved in a fatal accident in Maryland in July 2011, four months prior to the assault charge.

She reportedly struck and killed a pedestrian who had stepped off a curb in front of Payette's car. The case was closed without charges in April 2012 following an eight-month police investigation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/payette-vetting-trudeau-wednesday-1.4213743

5 hours ago, Boges said:

How is the current GG an embarrassment? Because he's an Old White Man? He touched the Queen recently? 

If the PM can't pick the GG then who should? This newly independent Sentate that the PM let loose on Canada? 

Because he was harper's man and payette was the 1st pick on harper's list. I love how the libs still blame harper . Just like Khadr, all harper's fault when actually is was all the liberals fault. Starting with chretien using his power to get the father out of jail to continue with his terrorist ways .Chretien hands are covered in blood on this file. I wonder why the media has not ask him for his say.

Edited by PIK

3 minutes ago, PIK said:

Because he was harper's man and payette was the 1st pick on harper's list. I love how the libs still blame harper . Just like Khadr, all harper's fault when actually is was all the liberals fault. Starting with chretien using his power to get the father out of jail to continue with his terrorist ways .Chretien hands are covered in blood on this file. I wonder why the media has not ask him for his say.

Kind of like the Republicans blaming Obama for everything. The blame game has no party.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boges said:

Johnson is one of the few picks who turned out okay. Harper had a terrible weakness for appointing morons and cretins to various offices. I realize he wasn't the one who recommended or vetted them, but whoever did so should have been beaten and drowned early in his tenure as PM.

7 hours ago, Boges said:

Is that really a pressing issue? 

3 of the last 4 have been women, assuming Payette doesn't recuse herself. 

Liberals use the position as a show of how inclusive they are. The first asian woman, first black woman. I'm surprised we didn't get the first native woman, but no doubt they'll do that for the next supreme court pick.

17 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Krikey...Julie Payette comes to my country and mayhem ensues (in Maryland).

What a great GG candidate !!!

I didn't know you were from MD.

By the way, why is it such a big thing who the next Governor-General is? (s)he will be the PM's b**** more or less.  It seems a lot less interesting than who the next prime minister would be.

In Australia, there was a governor-general who proved very independent (Sir John Kerr) but he paid dearly for his temerity I understand.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

27 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

I didn't know you were from MD.

I'm not from MD, but did graduate from university there.  

I can only guess that Julie Payette was in MD because of her husband's aerospace job and/or her NASA training.

That she struck and killed a pedestrian in a foreign country is not a trivial matter, even if charges were never laid.   We have no idea what civil settlement may have been made in the case.

By the way, why is it such a big thing who the next Governor-General is? (s)he will be the PM's b**** more or less.  It seems a lot less interesting than who the next prime minister would be.

Canada has its own queen/monarch in Elizabeth somewhat like Catholics have the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all in the same Christian "God".

So there is a viceregal to tend to the queen's constitutional affairs in Canada...aka Governor General. 

Most importantly, it has to be different from whatever those mongrel rebels (Americans) are doing!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Maryland court records also show Payette had an extensive, multi-year divorce proceeding with Flynn that included a motion to garnish his earnings over child support, but it was abruptly wrapped up over the past month. A motion to seal those records from public access was introduced on Tuesday. A judge has yet to rule on that sealing motion.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/extensive-vetting-process-found-no-reason-payette-shouldnt-be-gg-trudeau-says/wcm/2e1d62b8-f9d7-4024-bc45-9168ee9f2bf6

The cleansing of Madame Payette's past continues. Is there anything else that needs expunging from official court records before she assumes her vice-regal duties? Just don't ask Justin any questions about her past; he won't comment.

On 7/14/2017 at 8:35 PM, -TSS- said:

It is your system but I'll still say that in my opinion it is not right that the PM has the say who becomes GG who, after all, as being the Queen's representative has at least a formal role of being a watchdog of the government.

I agree with that: the whole point (OK, some of the whole point) of parliamentary democracy requires the total (or at least as total as possible) independence of the head of state vis a vis the head of government.