Sailors in trouble for being patriotic

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

As I said in the OP, you can be damned sure that if native members of the military had interrupted a ceremony there would be no response from the government or military. These people did nothing illegal,

Evidently, they did. Do you think the top military guy would be saying what he said if there wasn't a valid reason. I don't know myself but I suspect soldiers give up quite a bit to join the communist military in exchange for their brainless acquiescence.

Again...the Mi'kmaq were at war with BOTH the French and British...who were normally busy fighting EACH OTHER. Both the French and British offered a bounty to OTHER NATIVE TRIBES to quell the Mi'kmaq. Only one scalp was officially turned in...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

"The two groups exchanged words. The man who was carrying the flag said, "You're disrespecting General Cornwallis." "

If you can't disrespect Hitler, PolPot, the Queen of England, George Bush, Dick Cheney, Tony Blair, ... you can't disrespect General Cornwallis.

You can.  You can also say "You're disrespecting General Cornwallis."

51 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You can.  You can also say "You're disrespecting General Cornwallis."

Lt-Gen Edward Cornwallis. Charles was the full General. Both rose through the ranks as regimental leaders. 

2 hours ago, Argus said:

....Further, there was an article in the post from John Robson today in which he suggested that some, even much of the 'appreciation' many have for Trump is that at least sometimes he'd willing to state blunt conservative messages - ie, reality.

The difference here is that Trump and his supporters live in a nation with real free speech rights, not the limited, watered down version found in Canada.

The "Proud Boys" find themselves on the wrong side of Canada's biased expression rights and the wall of political correctness.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

If Canadian military personnel arrived at one of your anti-Muslim demonstrations and started shutting it down would you care ?

We'd be hearing all about Trudeau's stormtroopers and LGBT warriors.  Spare us the fake tears, and move on to some real topics as you're boring the pants off everyone.

Thanks,

Well said!   Fake tears....

these idiots acted like bullies.  The navy doesn't want to be associated with such stupidity. 

28 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The difference here is that Trump and his supporters live in a nation with real free speech rights...

My wife, Roberta, has a close friend, a writer, who is married to a professor. They are Jewish, and they have a “black lives matter” sign in their yard. As the sanctuary-cities bill, S.B. 4, was being debated in the capitol, an unsigned letter was left at their front door. It threatened the lives of their children, by name.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/10/americas-future-is-texas

Nice free speech you have there.  What state do you live in again ?  Then again, you had better not answer or someone may track you down and burn a cross on your lawn...  I'll take peace, order, and good government over tokenistic freedom any day.

The news reports I have seen on this, admittedly few, seem to say they interrupted a protest with one of their own - Nothing wrong there.  They made their points peacefully - Nothing wrong there.  Their points disagree with and upset some of the FN that were there - Nothing wrong there.

I can't see what the issue is.  The pathetic ferocity with which Canada's leaders have clambored over each other to denounce them is a little startling.  And patronising, to be frank.  If I were the FN involved, I would wonder if I were still at residential school.

Never mind sweety, Mummy will fix it...

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

If Canadian military personnel arrived at one of your anti-Muslim demonstrations and started shutting it down would you care ?

We'd be hearing all about Trudeau's stormtroopers and LGBT warriors.  Spare us the fake tears, and move on to some real topics as you're boring the pants off everyone.

Thanks,

Maybe you should post a list of topics that meets your newly established list of approved topics....or perhaps stick to moderating, that would be something new ....    instead of attacking other posters because you feel like being a dick today....

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

instead of attacking other posters because you feel like being a dick today....

Sorry, where did I attack Argus ?  I commented on the inanity of his topic, and in fact gave him praise relative to the others who share his viewpoints.

He is a fine poster and doesn't need to be rescued by the likes of you.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I can't see what the issue is.  The pathetic ferocity with which Canada's leaders have clambored over each other to denounce them is a little startling.  And patronising, to be frank.

I'm starting to think that Trudeau and his minions are taking the attitude "keep the peace at any cost" with certain groups or individuals even if it offends mainstream Canadians.

• Like 3

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Sorry, where did I attack Argus ?  I commented on the inanity of his topic, and in fact gave him praise relative to the others who share his viewpoints.

I guess attack is in the eye of the beholder. 

Still, given the rabid response the actions of these sailors has been met with by people in positions of responsibility (and the call I heard today from a FN activist for some kind of restorative justice!?!?) it would appear the topic is not at all inane.

The response to their actions certainly is, but sadly, it could have extremely non inane consequences.  I do hope not.  They did nothing wrong.

1 minute ago, capricorn said:

I'm starting to think that Trudeau and his minions are taking the attitude "keep the peace at any cost" with certain groups or individuals even if it offends mainstream Canadians.

Agreed....for some, the appearance of peace, order, and good government overrides the Charter Rights of certain groups or individuals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Agreed....for some, the appearance of peace, order, and good government overrides the Charter Rights of certain groups or individuals.

Just as gun rights override the rights of children to not get killed in their school.

To each his own I guess.  I will take a fake controversy over breaking news of a mass shooting.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I'm not coming to his rescue, he is after all only dealing with the "likes of you".....what does that really mean anyways mr moderator, "the likes of you".... i guess your not finished being a dick today....Maybe it is time for you to hang up the old moderator badge, where your are supposed to be in the middle of the road, keeping the fringe in the center lane, keeping the flow of the conversation going..... not making rude comments, because you can......looks like the position claims another jaded liberal  who has been beaten to the ground by those that hold different opinions, not of the pre approved opinions of Michael Hardner....., and yet your highness does nothing when our favorite conspiracy theorists manages to steer every topic into one of science, and explosives...well done sir, well done.....

• Like 2

One party turns up with the Canadian flag upside down with decolonize scribbled on it. Another party turns up with a flag that over 100,000 Canadians died defending and sings The Queen. Which party is in shit. Oh Canada.

Edited by Wilber
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

and yet your highness does nothing when our favorite conspiracy theorists manages to steer every topic into one of science, and explosives...well done sir, well done.....

If it were up to me, believe me, we would relegate conspiracy theories to a tiny playpen on here.

You seem to be upset that I found this post boring.  I'm sorry for your feelings, then.  I do feel that manufactured controversies are as dull as fake wrestling, thanks for asking.

51 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Just as gun rights override the rights of children to not get killed in their school.

Hmm twice in the same night I find your logic to be most disturbing. I have a rock that can protect you from bears. 20 bux and it's yours.

Besides, children can be killed with many other things, I mean they are children, how hard can it be?  I have to put the /sarcasm in because I know some of you dimwits will take that at face value.

The group that these people belong to are a bunch of alt-right racist bullies who feel the need to "stand up" to indigenous people... these people probably enjoy the fact that Gen. Cornwallis ordered the deaths of aboriginals.  They have no place being in the military.   Good riddance to them.

Edited by The_Squid

47 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Right.  So you agree in not providing background checks when maniacs purchase guns then.  You're more American than I thought.

Shouldn't you be the one telling others not to drift...?

49 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

The group that these people belong to are a bunch of alt-right racist bullies who feel the need to "stand up" to indigenous people... these people probably enjoy the fact that Gen. Cornwallis ordered the deaths of aboriginals.  They have no place being in the military.   Good riddance to them.

They did nothing wrong.  You shouldn't get to decide on their careers just because you don't like them.

These idiots in this group ("Proud Boys") encourage new members to beat people up as an initiation.  That kind of person should be kicked out of the military immediately.  

Idiots....

4 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

These idiots in this group ("Proud Boys") encourage new members to beat people up as an initiation.  That kind of person should be kicked out of the military immediately.  

Idiots....

Beating people up would be against the law. They would probably go to jail.  I am fully on board with someone not being allowed to be in the navy and in jail at the same time. Unless it's the brig. 

They did nothing wrong on the day in question, though.  From the article, it appears they just upset and/or offended people, and there's nothing wrong with that.