Lord of the Rings

5 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Like GAme of Thrones, I guess?

No. LOTR was fairly simple in that everyone in it was either white or black. You had the good guys and the evil guys. GOT has many, many shades of gray, with almost no one who could be considered entirely 'good', and few entirely evil. Well, except the white walkers, of course. I mean, Jaime Lannister is sorta kinda 'good' in a way, but this is a guy who grinned as he pushed a child out the window of a tower to his death (or so he thought) because the child had seen him screwing his sister. Meanwhile Daenerys had two decent men burned to death by her dragon because they wouldn't forswear their allegiances and swear to her instead, and she's also 'good'.

Edited by Argus

I think in a fantasy literature I'd want to know who's actually good and bad. People who set an example and people who don't. Otherwise I'd read fifty shades of grey. (I haven't read that but I understand the title is accurate.)

Tolkien doesn't get too deep into characters, though, except for the good guys, like Frodo and Sam. Although he does get into Saruman a bit, as a Judas-type. You're right it's pretty clear who is good and who isn't. Maybe George RR Martin, then, writes that way out of the late 20th, early 21st century culture, whereas Tolkien wrote LOTR between the late thirties and early fifties. Different culture back then, I suppose, where "right" and "wrong" were concerned.

Anyone have a favorite character out of LOTR?

Mine is Pippin. Younger guy, seems less serious but turns out to be pretty ballsy. Gandalf picks on him a lot (in the movie he says "FOOL OF A TOOK!" a lot) but it was for his own good of course.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

Oh, wanted to post that I found this book called The Lord of the Rings, a Reader's Companion. It gives a history of the book (a little dull) and some of the possible meanings in words, paragraphs, sentences, events and so forth. Neat, but don't read it while you're reading it for the first time because it has some spoilers.

On amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Readers-Companion/dp/0618642676/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541030719&sr=8-1&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+companion

(there seem to be two different editions of it on amazon).

Edited by JamesHackerMP

• 8 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 12:47 PM, DogOnPorch said:

Bored of the Rings is awesome. Freeto...Dildo...Pepsi and Moxy....Legolamb...Goodgulf...etc.

My favorite is "Eorache" (a literary conflation of Eowyn and Eomer).

PS, did I REALLY toss out a "spoiler"? It's in the second chapter of the book (or the first half hour of the first movie.)  :D

Edited by JamesHackerMP