Are aboriginals "immigrants"?

Uproar after the Governor General of Canada recently called Canadian aboriginals "immigrants". He later apologized & said he misspoke.

"We're a country based on immigration, going right back to our 'Indigenous people' who were immigrants as well, 10, 12, 14,000 years ago," said David Johnston, speaking to Chris Hall on the June 15 episode of CBC's The House.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/governor-general-immigrants-social-media-outrage-1.4167384

Canadian aboriginals originally migrated to the continent around 15,000 years ago from Asia it's estimated.  Whatever the year they came, are indigenous peoples also immigrants?

StatCan says otherwise...

Definition of "Immigrant"

Persons residing in Canada who were born outside of Canada, excluding temporary foreign workers, Canadian citizens born outside Canada and those with student or working visas.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-004-x/2010004/def/immigrant-eng.htm

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Canadian aboriginals originally migrated to the continent around 15,000 years ago from Asia it's estimated.  Whatever the year they came, are indigenous peoples also immigrants?

I'd say they're migrants. If they'd been allowed or invited to settle the continent by whatever human society might have evolved here then they'd be immigrants.

Immigrant denotes a political, bureaucratic or legal distinction. I suppose indigenous is a political term too and one that's become ever more politicized over time. That said, when I state or identify myself as being an indigenous aboriginal Earthling it seems to trigger political alarm amongst nationalists and often those with a racial bent. But then it even un-nerves native people so go figure.

Its certainly a peculiar little pale blue dot we all inhabit.

Edited by eyeball

39 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

StatCan says otherwise...

I meant the first ones. Obviously, no-one who was born in Canada is an immigrant. Same as the natives, really...

42 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Hmmmm...this means the Queen of Canada would be an immigrant as she was not born in Canada.

It's not false... but she does not live in Canada. So technically, she never immigrated here. Just pass by and visit us at our expenses.

13 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Uproar after the Governor General of Canada recently called Canadian aboriginals "immigrants". He later apologized & said he misspoke.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/governor-general-immigrants-social-media-outrage-1.4167384

The only people bothered by this are the aboriginal guilt industry and lefty snowflakes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Argus said:

The only people bothered by this are the aboriginal guilt industry and lefty snowflakes.

Seeing the various skull being unearthed in regions outside Africa, even the whole origins of humanity is up for a test.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boges said:

It's all semantics. Is there any place on Earth where the original people colonizers of a land can claim ownership generations later? How can you be more Canadians than someone else born here? 

I'm sure a deep thinker like Trudeau could tell you...

12 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Sure. The only difference between them and me is the amount of time we've been here. 

Are the original inhabitants/tribes of Africa immigrants? Were slaves brought over to American immigrants, were they considered to be immigrants?

Do you even understand the meaning of the word 'immigrant'? Check your own Oxford.

Just now, hot enough said:

Are the original inhabitants/tribes of Africa immigrants? Were slaves brought over to American immigrants, were they considered to be immigrants?

Do you even understand the meaning of the word 'immigrant'? Check your own Oxford.

I did!  Well, Google, anyway.

im·mi·grant

noun

a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

That's me, and all those natives who came across the Bering Strait.

You wouldn't say that someone should be treated differently based on how long they've been in a country, would you?  You'd fit right in with the EDL!

The natives and the snowflakes have to give up this victim crap. People are getting tired and it is going to blow up in thier faces when whitey says he has had enough. 

Everything is very relative. The Anglo-Saxons invaded what is today called England in the 400-600 AD years and took it over. They superseced the Celts and the Picts who were ruling the British isles before.

That is only 1500 years ago. Just for a comparison, Finns and Estonians have lived in their whereabouts for at least 6000 years, maybe much longer.

Edited by -TSS-

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I did!  Well, Google, anyway.

im·mi·grant

noun

a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

That's me, and all those natives who came across the Bering Strait.

You can't understand English.

You wouldn't say that someone should be treated differently based on how long they've been in a country, would you?  You'd fit right in with the EDL!

You are great at drawing illogical conclusions. See above. 

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

Oh boy, countenancing another genocide.

If whitey becomes a voting block over this minority rules crap in this country which is getting out of hand, politicians will listen.

People get pissed off, they will show it by their voting. Harper was right about transparency and accountability on the reservations, and trudeau saying we don't want to know what you do with the money ,is going to come back and haunt him. Somer day the regular native is also going to have a say and then the chiefs better run.

4 hours ago, hot enough said:

You can't understand English.

You are great at drawing illogical conclusions. See above. 

Yes I can.

Actually, I'm pretty good at a lot of things.