Toronto woman charged with assault in the name of ISIS

For some reason this isn't a headline story much of anywhere, given recent events in the world:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/incident-canadian-tire-rcmp-toronto-police-islamic-state-1.4147750

A woman accused of assault and threatening people with a knife in a Canadian Tire store in Scarborough, Ont., on the weekend swore allegiance to an ISIS leader at her court appearance on Tuesday.  "I am pledged to the leaders of the believers, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi," Rehab Dughmosh, 32, said in reference to the leader of the Islamic State.

Dughmosh made the statement without waiting for Justice of the Peace Alice Napier to begin proceedings in Toronto.  Dughmosh has been charged with two counts of assault with a weapon, assault, uttering threats, carrying a concealed weapon, and two counts of possession of a weapon.  An employee at the store, located in Cedarbrae Mall, was injured, but the injuries sustained were non-life-threatening, Toronto police said in a news release on Tuesday.

In court she was also wearing a niqab with the ISIS symbol on it: http://globalnews.ca/news/3506039/woman-isis-knife-attack-toronto-mall/

Just now, The_Squid said:

Should every disturbed nutjob get national headlines?

What makes you think she's a 'disturbed nutjob'? As opposed to a hateful religious fanatic like the three who got together in London?

Just now, Argus said:

What makes you think she's a 'disturbed nutjob'? As opposed to a hateful religious fanatic like the three who got together in London?

Stay tuned....   you can tell me how right i am in a few days when more info comes out. 

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

What made me think she wasn't quite attached to reality was the part of the story when she declared herself before the judge started proceedings.   People with all screws firmly attached tend to be able to follow events well enough to know not to blurt things out randomly in court.

They easily dismiss radicalism as a "nutjob," like as if it doesn't pose any danger just because it is.

Whether she's a nutjob or not - it's sickening to have all these nutjobs in our country!  We've already have our own nutjobs to worry about - we shouldn't import any more!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

More likely to protect the woman's family from xenophobes or because she's under 18.  

When you refuse to read anything negative about Islam, you probably shouldn't comment on the article.  

She's 32.  

It says so right in the article.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

When you refuse to read anything negative about Islam, you probably shouldn't comment on the article.  

She's 32.  

So its plausible to you that the court agreed with an argument that "if we publicize this case, leftists will be offended"?   

7 minutes ago, Goddess said:

She's 32.  

Oh and for the record, I'm currently reading Peter Townsend's book Questioning Islam.  It warns "Islam apologists" in the intro that they're not going to like what he writes.  So far, I have no problem with his criticisms of Islam.  Probably because they're based on evidence and not the xenophobic fear-mongering found on this forum.

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So its plausible to you that the court agreed with an argument that "if we publicize this case, leftists will be offended"?   

i don't really care if leftists are offended by coverage of this news item.  I only commented on her age.

Mostly because in another topic about a terrorist  woman who screamed at doctors who were trying to help her after she was shot to "not touch me!" you argued that you would do the same thing if faced with armed police officers.  I don't think you read that article either, because it clearly stated she was injured while being arrested as a terrorist and was refusing help from doctors because they were male.

• Like 2

At least one doesn't have to travel any great distance to get knocked over the head by an ISIS supporter. Right down the block at the CanTire. Convenience! 

Islam makes it easier everyday to get enriched.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

More likely to protect the woman's family from xenophobes or because she's under 18.  

More likely to hide the truth from the public......sweep it under the rug.

See? In Canada we don't have any problems with Islamic terrorists!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, betsy said:

More likely to hide the truth from the public......sweep it under the rug.

See? In Canada we don't have any problems with Islamic terrorists!

Seeing that commenting on Islam at CBC is VERBOTEN!! Nein, nein, nein!

Ja!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, betsy said:

They easily dismiss radicalism as a "nutjob," like as if it doesn't pose any danger just because it is.

Whether she's a nutjob or not - it's sickening to have all these nutjobs in our country!  We've already have our own nutjobs to worry about - we shouldn't import any more!

To be fair, that's what we do when a WASP does an act of mass violence. We don't associate it to their religion of choice or politics. . . usually. 

Edited by Boges

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

To be fair, that's what we do when a WASP does an act of mass violence. We don't associate it to their religion of choice or politics. . . usually. 

Lots of Christian terrorism. Everywhere we can look...Christians are beheading Muslims. The blood is everywhere.

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Lots of Christian terrorism. Everywhere we can look...Christians are beheading Muslims. The blood is everywhere.

Not saying that.

All I'm saying is that when Whitey does some act of mass violence he's a lone wolf with mental health issues. 

The way this woman conducted herself, I suspect mental health is more at play than anything. 

Maybe you people have a point, if saying you have an allegiance to ISIS makes you a nutjob, don't we have a right under law to round up all the "nutjobs" and institutionalize them.  This seems like a pretty good tactic.  Considering England now has 23,000 known "nutjobs" on their radar, it should make dealing with this issue a little easier. 

• Like 2