Arab Nations cuts ties with Qatar

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/saudi-arabia-cut-ties-with-qatar-gulf-nations-diplomatic-rift/

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Several Arab nations cut diplomatic ties to Qatar on Monday over its relations with Iran and its support of Islamist groups, isolating the tiny energy-rich country by cutting off its land, sea and air connections to the outside world.

Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates began withdrawing their diplomatic staff from Qatar as regional airlines quickly announced they'd suspend service to its capital, Doha. The foreign minister for Libya's eastern-based government announced it would cut diplomatic relations with the country as well, and Al-Arabiya reported that the Maldives was making a similar move. Yemen's internationally recognized government, which no longer holds its capital and large portions of the country, cut relations with Qatar and said it supports the decision by the Saudi-led coalition to end Qatar's participation in the war on the Houthis there. 

Qatar is Sunni, hence the ties with Iran in a sense. But that even makes less sense with the US's 5th Fleet having their home there. They are really closing Qatar off from all angles.  So something interesting is about to happen with a major power struggle or power shift in the Arabic nations in the M.E.

I can see that Saudi Arabia (Shiite) and Qatar with the Sunnis that this would be an inevitable conflict.  What is going on over there???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dialamah said:

Here's an analysis, for what its worth.

I am surprised that if there is this Muslim Brotherhood connection, why has Egypt not been isolated? Saudi Arabia I would argue exports more terrorism than Qatar.  I wonder how the US is going to react to this. Pull out of Qatar? Abandon the air base?  And I have to correct myself from before I thought the US naval base was in Qatar, but it's Bahrain.

Saudi Arabia exports and supports far more terrorism than Qatar could ever do. It's an interesting move, and I guess we will see the fall out of that in a few months.

2 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

I am surprised that if there is this Muslim Brotherhood connection, why has Egypt not been isolated? Saudi Arabia I would argue exports more terrorism than Qatar.  I wonder how the US is going to react to this. Pull out of Qatar? Abandon the air base?  And I have to correct myself from before I thought the US naval base was in Qatar, but it's Bahrain.

Saudi Arabia exports and supports far more terrorism than Qatar could ever do. It's an interesting move, and I guess we will see the fall out of that in a few months.

Nationalism is a bit of a hobby for Islam. The Muslim Brothers, however are an international group. They're all over.

Edited by DogOnPorch

8 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Do you think this has anything to do with Trump's sudden reversal on Saudi Arabia?

Maybe. Saudi Arabia has deep interests in the US and some control via oil and money.  Some can try to blame the Muslims all they want, but again you see how inconsistent our governments are towards various M.E. nations it makes you question the motive and the goal.

Just now, GostHacked said:

Maybe. Saudi Arabia has deep interests in the US and some control via oil and money.  Some can try to blame the Muslims all they want, but again you see how inconsistent our governments are towards various M.E. nations it makes you question the motive and the goal.

Saudi Arabia's only stick is its oil reserves and its ability to manipulate oil prices. Once that goes away, no need to be friends. Until then...enjoy your car.

2 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Don't believe anything these states say about "why" they're doing this.  Saudi Arabia is an Islamist regime and yes support terror so I don't believe that analysis.  Sounds they just aren't falling in line.

3 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Sisi inhibits the activities of the Muslim Brotherhood within Egypt.   Whether this is because he thinks they are terrorists or because they might threaten his power, I don't know.

31 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Sisi inhibits the activities of the Muslim Brotherhood within Egypt.   Whether this is because he thinks they are terrorists or because they might threaten his power, I don't know.

Most certainly connected to terrorism. Not to mention the Holocaust and a few other choice events.

A real rogues gallery of Islamists, Nazis and hate preachers...etc, etc, etc....over the decades since al-Banna founded it with his fellow thugs.

4 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Saudi Arabia's only stick is its oil reserves and its ability to manipulate oil prices. Once that goes away, no need to be friends.

Not if this steers the US and Russia towards a collision course and brings us full circle again.  Dictators will remain our bff's until we finally convert to form ourselves in the name of 'protecting' ourselves from the never-ending windstorm of blowback our relations cause.  That it's all in the name of the fear of tyranny is truly the most hilarious irony of this Brobdingnagian clusterfuck. 

Rinse and repeat just doesn't quite say it but neither does told you so.  Oh well.

Until then...pass the popcorn.

FIFY

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

If there's one thing Muslim fundamentalists hate more than infidels it's each other. 

And if there's one thing Muslim fundies have most in common with infidels it's the hate that infidels have for each other.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Not if this steers the US and Russia towards a collision course and brings us full circle again.  Dictators will remain our bff's until we finally convert to form ourselves in the name of 'protecting' ourselves from the never-ending windstorm of blowback our relations cause.  That it's all in the name of the fear of tyranny is truly the most hilarious irony of this Brobdingnagian clusterfuck. 

Rinse and repeat just doesn't quite say it but neither does told you so.  Oh well.

FIFY

What else does Saudi Arabia have outside of oil? Sand, I guess. And they'd have to import the proper slaves to do anything with it...so tedious.

I suppose there's also pyramid building. Worked elsewhere...Mecca needs a few new Haj attractions.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

What else does Saudi Arabia have outside of oil?

Political convenience - grist for our domestic election campaigns.

Without oil they'll need to invade someone for their resources...thereby maintaining a vital market for our weapons industry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Political convenience - grist for our domestic election campaigns.

Without oil they'll need to invade someone for their resources...thereby maintaining a vital market for our weapons industry.

Oh barf...like anybody cares what they do to their slaves in the desert if they'd just keep it to themselves. Oil is ALL these self-righteous religious loonies have.

Once it's gone...Mecca is just another filthy city in the Middle East where religious idiots go to play house.

Just now, eyeball said:

Look at you, eschewing oil to avoid being friends with a dictator.  So where were you in 1953?

Oh right,,,hiding under your bed from us lefties.

Wasn't around in 1953. But, I do know Iran's history much better than yourself.

11 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Bully for you. The moral and ethical background you also toss into the salad you make out of all the facts stuffed into your head turns it all into a big pile of crap.

Now if you could just find that darn Iran on a map, eh?

:lol:

You'd show me what's what...