BC Liberals in horserace with NDP

At the moment , 10:25PM, the election results are showing the B.C. Liberals leading in 42 seats, NDP 42 seats, and Green Party 3 seats.  This is probably the closest election race in B.C. history.  This will have Albertans on edge because the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion to ship Alberta oil to Asian markets could be threatened if the NDP and Greens together form a majority, which is 44 seats. The NDP Alberta government, must be on pins and needles tonight because there are 100,000 people out of work in Alberta.  Getting a lot of these people back to work may depend on the pipeline expansion so that Alberta can sell their oil to Asian markets.  What we need is a strong Federal government who can show some leadership and get these pipelines built, including Energy East regardless whether provincial governments oppose them.  Pipelines are a national enterprise, much like railways and require Federal leadership.  This NDP/Green win does not bode well for the economy and jobs in B.C.

The Green Party leader in B.C. is likely a strong believer in man-made climate change and believes more should be done on fighting climate change.  It shouldn't be a surprise because isn't that the reason for a "Green" party.  With the B.C. carbon tax the last eight years, I have already paid directly about $2100 in carbon taxes which is very discriminatory for several reasons.  A small minority of people pay most of the carbon taxes in B.C. and almost nobody in the rest of the world even pay any carbon taxes.  So people in B.C. may be hit with more costs for the climate change scam.

Edited by blackbird

Yep, pending recounts and so on, we have a minority government.

This means that Christy Clark has to keep up her awkward charade of pretending to care about "affordability" for at least a little longer.

People are speculating as to whether the Greens can extract some promises from the Liberals or NDP in exchange for forming a coalition.  Campaign finance reform?  End of first-past-the-post? 

I expect Clark to give no promises to anybody, and continue as Premier, secure in the knowledge that the opposition will be scared to force another election.

-k

55 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Yep, pending recounts and so on, we have a minority government.

This means that Christy Clark has to keep up her awkward charade of pretending to care about "affordability" for at least a little longer.

People are speculating as to whether the Greens can extract some promises from the Liberals or NDP in exchange for forming a coalition.  Campaign finance reform?  End of first-past-the-post? 

I expect Clark to give no promises to anybody, and continue as Premier, secure in the knowledge that the opposition will be scared to force another election.

-k

One way or another, Christy will end up with a majority.

As for a coalition, the Greens would never go for it.

Comox has a recount coming, with the NDP up by only nine votes. Then they will count the absentee ballots.  With Comox being the home of a large CFB, the CBC pointed out there might be quite a few of those.

It could yet be a majority. 

I'm rooting for it.

1 hour ago, Omni said:

She'll have a minority, and the ndp and greens will hold the balance of power.

Holding a balance of power is not a coalition government.  The Greens (if things stay the way are - which I highly doubt) will be the deciding votes in either direction, they have no reason to form an alliance with the NDP.  Right now the Greens are "da belle of da ball" so to speak. 

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

Holding a balance of power is not a coalition government.  The Greens (if things stay the way are - which I highly doubt) will be the deciding votes in either direction, they have no reason to form an alliance with the NDP.  Right now the Greens are "da belle of da ball" so to speak. 

Perhaps Richard Branson will invite them to do some nude paragliding. 

13 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Who said anything about coalition? At least you got it that Christy ain't got a majority.

If it remains a minority government, the Greens will be able to pick and chose between campaign promises made by the other two and introduce the same bills on their own, forcing the others to put up or shut up.  First minority since 1952 so it's unknown territory for everyone. Expect another election within two years.

The way Weaver and Horgan went at each other during the campaign, I suspect the Greens may side more closely with the Liberals, which sort of goes against what one might expect. Unless of course absentee ballots etal change things up ahead.

12 hours ago, The_Squid said:

I'm pretty sure he's not a "fan of climate change"...

I guess I should have made in clear Green leader Weaver is said to be a "climate change" scientist and as head of the BC Green party, we can assume he is an environmentalist who is a believer in man-made climate change.  The name "Green" should tell us they exalt the environment, maybe at the expense of resource development and jobs.

Edited by blackbird

13 hours ago, blackbird said:

At the moment , 10:25PM, the election results are showing the B.C. Liberals leading in 42 seats, NDP 42 seats, and Green Party 3 seats.  This is probably the closest election race in B.C. history.  This will have Albertans on edge because the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion to ship Alberta oil to Asian markets could be threatened if the NDP and Greens together form a majority, which is 44 seats. The NDP Alberta government, must be on pins and needles tonight because there are 100,000 people out of work in Alberta.  Getting a lot of these people back to work may depend on the pipeline expansion so that Alberta can sell their oil to Asian markets.  What we need is a strong Federal government who can show some leadership and get these pipelines built, including Energy East regardless whether provincial governments oppose them.  Pipelines are a national enterprise, much like railways and require Federal leadership.  This NDP/Green win does not bode well for the economy and jobs in B.C.

The Green Party leader in B.C. is likely a strong believer in man-made climate change and believes more should be done on fighting climate change.  It shouldn't be a surprise because isn't that the reason for a "Green" party.  With the B.C. carbon tax the last eight years, I have already paid directly about $2100 in carbon taxes which is very discriminatory for several reasons.  A small minority of people pay most of the carbon taxes in B.C. and almost nobody in the rest of the world even pay any carbon taxes.  So people in B.C. may be hit with more costs for the climate change scam.

LOL.  Nobody in Alberta expects anything from anybody in BC.

That is not how Canada has worked, for a long time.

I also have to laugh at the notion that Trudeau has any real interest to 'show some leadership' on pipelines.  He would be privately delighted to see the entire oil and gas industry in the country closed forever.  At the first sign of dissent on Energy East, he shut down the hearings and the entire process remains paralyzed.  He'd love to see the same thing with Kinder-Morgan/Trans Mountain, and now his wildest dream will be realized.  The project will not move ahead, and he won't be blamed.  I expect Kinder-Morgan the corporation will look at this result , review the roles and actions of the provincial and federal governments, and conclude: why bother with Canada at all? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, overthere said:

LOL.  Nobody in Alberta expects anything from anybody in BC.

That is not how Canada has worked, for a long time

I also have to laugh at the notion that Trudeau has any real interest to 'show some leadership' on pipelines.  He would be privately delighted to see the entire oil and gas industry in the country closed forever.  At the first sign of dissent on Energy East, he shut down the hearings and the entire process remains paralyzed.  He'd love to see the same thing with Kinder-Morgan/Trans Mountain, and now his wildest dream will be realized.  The project will not move ahead, and he won't be blamed.  I expect Kinder-Morgan the corporation will look at this result , review the roles and actions of the provincial and federal governments, and conclude: why bother with Canada at all? 

It is tragic.   I just skimmed through the BC Green Party website and if they have their way, it looks like BC will be under a very heavy hand of environmental regulations, increasing carbon taxation, and elimination or blocking of pipelines, and liquid natural gas (LNG).  It's a mystery where people think the huge amount of money and jobs are going to come from if they stifle industry in B.C.  Companies and investment will simply go somewhere else in the world. 

It looks like the BC Green Party will hold the balance of power which means they can exercise influence and control of some government decisions far beyond the percentage of vote they received to hammer resource development and impose carbon taxes simply in exchange for them to keep the government in power.  We may have another election sooner than we expect.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

It is tragic.   I just skimmed through the BC Green Party website and if they have their way, it looks like BC will be under a very heavy hand of environmental regulations, increasing carbon taxation, and elimination or blocking of pipelines, and liquid natural gas (LNG).  It's a mystery where people think the huge amount of money and jobs are going to come from if they stifle industry in B.C.  Companies and investment will simply go somewhere else in the world. 

Well, at least we won't have to worry about Climate Change any more. /s

9 hours ago, blackbird said:

The name "Green" should tell us they exalt the environment, maybe at the expense of resource development and jobs.

What should we call it when a political party exalts resource development and jobs at the expense of the environment?

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What should we call it when a political party exalts resource development and jobs at the expense of the environment?

NDP. Best to find a balance.