Arc of the Conspiracy Theorist

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/alex-jones-will-never-stop-being-alex-jones?utm_term=.aaYmqkker#.wcYRwgg87

Extended hit piece on Alex Jones here.

A lot of disgruntled employees and detractors, however I did learn some things:

- Staying controversial above all else filled a media and commercial vacuum and ensured Jones' success.

- Legal and media institutions are now finally reacting to the phenomenon.  He is the establishment now, and thus is forced to take back his lies on the air or face losing his millions. I.e. Pizzagate

- Although I was surprised to read it, I do believe he is happy when Democrats win as it's good for business.  I don't believe, as it is asserted, that he voted for Obama.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

- Staying controversial above all else filled a media and commercial vacuum and ensured Jones' success.

It's probably more accurate to say that Jones owes it all to the idiocy of his audience.

It's his job to be a provocateur, just as it is with pro wrestling, Howard Stern, or an NHL agitator.  Some people are paid for the persona they create.  You can't tell me that Rowdy Roddy Piper was hitting people with coconuts in real life anymore than Ron McLean can convince me that Alex Burrows was a bad person because he taunts goaltenders.  The crap and falsehoods in any Howard Stern interview should be evidence enough.  It's all in the entertainment - the Andy Kaufman effect.  The problem is; too many people believe this stuff - people on both sides.  This is why some of the smarter people in the world don't care too much about what Trump says on Howard Stern or while posturing for Billy Bush in that 2005 recording.  

The problem arises when the left don't see that Ann Coulter is doing it, and when the right doesn't see when Lawrence O'Donnell, Maddow or Lemon (and his posse) does it.    

I'm not suggesting whether it's tasteful or not, it's not the question at hand.  Dragging out pseudo psychologists to spew that Trump is crazy or what Colbert did is questionable as well.  What about Madonna or Ashley Judd?  This where the separation of news and entertainment gets blurred.  Believing that someone is good or nice just because they seem like that on TV (see Johnny Carson) is just as bad as believing someone is horrible because of the persona they portray on TV.  Some people buy into it - some don't.  

...And, anyone who believes it happens only from one side are the ones buying into it.  

8 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

...And, anyone who believes it happens only from one side are the ones buying into it.  

Certainly the hyperbole coming from leftist media now is reaching near hysterical levels. So much for "they go low, we go high".

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

1) This where the separation of news and entertainment gets blurred.  

2)...And, anyone who believes it happens only from one side are the ones buying into it.  

1) Give me a line then.  Calling out victims of crime as criminals is over the line for me - how about you ?

2) I don't.  I spend good time correcting my side from posting fake news on my networks.

39 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) Give me a line then.  Calling out victims of crime as criminals is over the line for me - how about you ?

2) I don't.  I spend good time correcting my side from posting fake news on my networks.

I'm actually not aware of the scenario that you're referring, but yes, I would consider that over the line.  Also, I would say, that referring to your president as Putin's cock holster is way over the line too.  What people don't understand is that the left have now made it OK to act out this way toward the president.  The media can't go back now, they can only ramp things up.  As Meryl Streep said "it gives permission".  

P.S - I asume "cock" is now allowed in our vernacular.

This is one of my favourite scenes from Scarface - It says quite a bit about where we're at with Trump

Tony Montana: What you lookin’ at? You all a bunch of fu**in’ assholes. You know why? You don’t have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fu**in’ fingers and say, “That’s the bad guy.” So… what that make you? Good? You’re not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don’t have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There’s a bad guy comin’ through! Better get outta his way!

Edited by Hal 9000

12 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

1) I'm actually not aware of the scenario that you're referring, but yes, I would consider that over the line.  Also, I would say, that referring to your president as Putin's cock holster is way over the line too.   

1) Ok - articulate that as a principle.  

I would say that I don't agree with homophobic jokes as being over the line.  False accusations of criminality are, though, in my books.

17 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) Ok - articulate that as a principle.  

I would say that I don't agree with homophobic jokes as being over the line.  False accusations of criminality are, though, in my books.

Are you kidding?  You view Colbert as simply making a homophobic joke?  WoW!

This is where the lines get blurred for the weaker minded people.  If you don't think that was more political than humor - I don't know what to tell you.  

However, do you think we'd have the same view if Hillary was president and a "comedian" called her "Putin's sloppy cum sack"?  No, that person would never work another day in front of a camera - you can bet on that.  Maybe Jones should install a laugh track on his program - then all's good right?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

1) This is where the lines get blurred for the weaker minded people.  If you don't think that was more political than humor - I don't know what to tell you.  

2) However, do you think we'd have the same view if Hillary was president and a "comedian" called her "Putin's sloppy cum sack"?  No, that person would never work another day in front of a camera - you can bet on that.  Maybe Jones should install a laugh track on his program - then all's good right?

1) It's political humour.  Also, minds have nothing to do with it: it's principles and values.  I concur that there's no consistency there and there's a double-standard when it comes to men, women, gays and so on but it's free speech.  We can disagree on what is 'disgusting' and that's ok.

2) I think our views differ on whether it's tasteless or not, not whether it should be allowed.  Jones shouldn't be allowed to malign and accuse victims (yes, these are people whose children were MURDERED) of being conspirators.  Jones claims he's a truth teller, not a comedian.  That's where that is.  Trump went on his show after he did that.  Any moral outrage at all ?

At the beginning of the conversation, I said it didn't matter whether comments were tasteful or not, you proceeded to ask for a drawn line, then you disagree based on whether a person is considered a comedian or not.  You may call it political humour all you want, but something tells me that if Van Jones or Don Lemon said the same thing, you'd be just fine with those comments.  I'm not excusing Alex Jones, I think I suggested as much a couple posts ago, what I'm saying is that these people are provocateurs - all of them.  I don't separate a comment from Colbert from that of Maddow or Hannity from Dennis Miller (if you want to go that side).  

Those "Jokes" and those found in SNL aren't made to be funny, they're angry political comments - no different from the pundits on FOX or MSNBC, just a different audience.

18 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

1) At the beginning of the conversation, I said it didn't matter whether comments were tasteful or not, you proceeded to ask for a drawn line, then you disagree based on whether a person is considered a comedian or not.  

2) You may call it political humour all you want, but something tells me that if Van Jones or Don Lemon said the same thing, you'd be just fine with those comments.  

3) I'm not excusing Alex Jones, I think I suggested as much a couple posts ago, what I'm saying is that these people are provocateurs - all of them.  I don't separate a comment from Colbert from that of Maddow or Hannity from Dennis Miller (if you want to go that side).  

1) Yes.

2) I already agreed with your statement.

3) I do separate self-described journalists and comedians.  Comedy is often made-up, and it expressly for entertainment.

I guess you just have to ask yourself whether these "comedians" do what they do to be funny or to make a political comment regardless of whether the joke works or not.  DL Hughly is apparently a comedian, although every time I see him he seems quite angry, same with John Stewart and Rosie O'Donnell.  Even Al Franken is considered a comedian.  Do you think Alec Baldwin (or Tina Fey in '08) shows up on SNL every week because he's funny?  Or, is it because he wants to make a political statement?

For you, having comedian status is an "I can be a complete asshole without repercussion" card, for me, I'm smart enough to realize that it's now politics before comedy.  The comments these people make are not intended for humour and they're not funny, they are simply angry rants...and the only reason that it's acceptable is because their viewers are just as angry.  

BTW - The clip that Omni posted is pretty good.  Of course, that was recorded before the election and shows me just how far the leftist "comedians" have sunk in the last few months.

Edited by Hal 9000

4 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

I guess you just have to ask yourself whether these "comedians" do what they do to be funny or to make a political comment regardless of whether the joke works or not.  DL Hughly is apparently a comedian, although every time I see him he seems quite angry, same with John Stewart and Rosie O'Donnell.  Even Al Franken is considered a comedian.  Do you think Alec Baldwin (or Tina Fey in '08) shows up on SNL every week because he's funny?  Or, is it because he wants to make a political statement?

For you, having comedian status is an "I can be a complete asshole without repercussion" card, for me, I'm smart enough to realize that it's now politics before comedy.  The comments these people make are not intended for humour and they're not funny, they are simply angry rants...and the only reason that it's acceptable is because their viewers are just as angry.  

I suggest they are not funny to you because they shine an embarrassing light on politicians you support. Unless you only like to watch the 3 Stooges you'll find humor has had a political content throughout it's history. Alec Baldwin shows up on SNL because he is funny and he and Melissa Mccarthy have lifted their ratings into the ozone. So apparently a lot of people do find it funny and I bet they get a pretty good paycheck to boot.  

No, I don't find it funny because...well, it's just not funny.  The above clip is funny, but "more people protest Trump than cancer" - not funny, angry.  Trump is "Putin's cock holster"? Is that funny?  Does that really deserve a laugh?  If I heard a comedian (as I said above) make a joke about Hillary being Putin's cum bucket or something, that would not be funny either.  I've got no issue with a comedian showing the lighter side of politics such as the above clip (which could've been made using Hillary or Obama or any other politician) , but we're way beyond that now.  SNL stopped being funny years ago, around the time they decided that they could have a real affect on politics.  The SNL clips make CNN and MSNBC news, not because they're rip-roaringly funny, it's because CNN and MSNBC can do a hit piece with no accountability.  Open your eyes, stop being manipulated, these people aren't trying to be funny, it's sheer anger and vindictiveness.    

Just because you have a comedian card, doesn't make you funny and it doesn't (or shouldn't)  make lashing out in anger any more acceptable. 

21 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

No, I don't find it funny because...well, it's just not funny.  The above clip is funny, but "more people protest Trump than cancer" - not funny, angry.  Trump is "Putin's cock holster"? Is that funny?  Does that really deserve a laugh?  If I heard a comedian (as I said above) make a joke about Hillary being Putin's cum bucket or something, that would not be funny either.  I've got no issue with a comedian showing the lighter side of politics such as the above clip (which could've been made using Hillary or Obama or any other politician) , but we're way beyond that now.  SNL stopped being funny years ago, around the time they decided that they could have a real affect on politics.  The SNL clips make CNN and MSNBC news, not because they're rip-roaringly funny, it's because CNN and MSNBC can do a hit piece with no accountability.  Open your eyes, stop being manipulated, these people aren't trying to be funny, it's sheer anger and vindictiveness.    

Just because you have a comedian card, doesn't make you funny and it doesn't (or shouldn't)  make lashing out in anger any more acceptable. 

I guess comedy, like art, is in the eye, or ear, of the beholder. Colbert may have crossed the line with some of his choice of words that could be determined to be profane for a general public TV broadcast.  The FCC will determine that. If you look at the ratings it would suggest that a lot of people do think SNL is rip-roaringly funny.