Why Trust the Bible?

betsy

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

He is a scientist, not a church minister.   And yes, he is from South Africa.

http://reformation.edu/scripture-science-stott/stott-intro.htm

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

OK.  Here is a link for the website for Professor Philip Stott that I am talking about.   He is a different person than the one you looked at.  I saw the picture of your man and he is not the one.

http://reformation.edu/scripture-science-stott/stott-intro.htm

Exact same guy...not sure why you're denying it.

Did you buy his books by chance? 

Just now, blackbird said:

NO he is not the same guy you gave your first link to.  There is another Philip Stott who passed away in 2004.  Anyone you found the correct on now.

LOL...I accept your surrender.

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Getting off topic.  I gotta run anyway.  We can carry on at another time perhaps.  Check out his website.  I must have a good look at it myself.  Good night.

Hardly. I accept your surrender as mentioned. Phil Stott is alive and well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Stott

https://thenaturalhistorian.com/2012/03/12/philip-stott-yong-earth-creationism-geocentricity-reformation-christian-ministries/

Edited by DogOnPorch

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Hardly. I accept your surrender as mentioned. Phil Stott is alive and well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Stott

Do you still believe the Philp Stott in that link is the same one?  That one is a totally different person.  Maybe a scientist.   He died in 2004.  Not the same.  Compare them with the one on the Scripture and Science website.  Gotta run finally.

Do you still believe the Philp Stott in that link is the same one?  That one is a totally different person.  Maybe a scientist.   He died in 2004.  Not the same.  Compare them with the one on the Scripture and Science website.  Gotta run finally.

Both are provided...which is yours?

10 hours ago, blackbird said:

God sent the flood to wipe out everything except Noah, his family, and animals on the Ark.  God created everything so who is to question what God does? Does God owe anyone anything?  I think not.  We are kept alive on this earth only because God allows it to be so.   Some people die of cancer young, babies dies at birth,  people of all kinds are killed in wars.  We can't explain everything.  The world is not an equal opportunity job. 

You make a good argument ... for atheism. "God's plan" is unknowable, capricious, and as likely to take the guilty as the innocent. So, exactly the same situation as if there were no plan and no God. Therefore by Occam's razor...

10 hours ago, blackbird said:

We can't understand everything, but God is good and merciful.

God willed the children dead, and it was Good because he is Good. Inarguable, but empty of meaning, and so not very convincing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TTM said:

You make a good argument ... for atheism. "God's plan" is unknowable, capricious, and as likely to take the guilty as the innocent. So, exactly the same situation as if there were no plan and no God. Therefore by Occam's razor...

God willed the children dead, and it was Good because he is Good. Inarguable, but empty of meaning, and so not very convincing.

If you are serious about finding the answers, I would suggest joining a Bible study group or investigating whether there is an internet-based Bible study.

You are incorrect in your assumptions.  God does have a plan for the world.  That is one of the messages of the Bible.  The plan is knowable and God is personally knowable.  But it is up to you to make a move to find out as well. 

Edited by blackbird

51 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

I read a good part of the letter in the link you gave.  So you searched and found a critique of Philip Stott.  That's interesting.  I don't expect him to be infallible and don't expect everything he says to be correct.  Nobody is.  It is a good reminder to examine what a person claims, even scientists or those educated men who have lots of theories.

Dr. Stott was an exceptional speaker and presenter on the subject and creation, the Bible, and evolution in my opinion.  But I am not knowledgeable on the subject and not one to really judge someone like Prof. Philip Stott.  This writer may have some valid  points worth considering.  But Philip Stott in his four evening of slide presentations did make give some very valuable information.  Fortunately I made videos of his four presentations and have them on VHS tapes.  I moved last year and am not completely settled yet.  I also have his book that is mentioned in that critique, but can't find it at the moment.  Probably still packed in some box.  I do not necessarily agree with every thing Philip Stott says.  I am not sure I believe his claim about the geocentricity, i.e. that the earth is the absolute centre of the universe and that the sun revolves around the earth.  That would be difficult to prove I think.  But if you take two steel balls of different sizes, say one is 1 LB and the other is 100 LB and tie them together with a cord and throw them into outer space.  What will happen?   They will of course revolve around each other, even if not uniformly.  So it might depend on one's perspective or point of view.  Which one is revolving around which one?  It's all relative.

6 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I read a good part of the letter in the link you gave.  So you searched and found a critique of Philip Stott.  That's interesting.  I don't expect him to be infallible and don't expect everything he says to be correct.  Nobody is.  It is a good reminder to examine what a person claims, even scientists or those educated men who have lots of theories.

Dr. Stott was an exceptional speaker and presenter on the subject and creation, the Bible, and evolution in my opinion.  But I am not knowledgeable on the subject and not one to really judge someone like Prof. Philip Stott.  This writer may have some valid  points worth considering.  But Philip Stott in his four evening of slide presentations did make give some very valuable information.  Fortunately I made videos of his four presentations and have them on VHS tapes.  I moved last year and am not completely settled yet.  I also have his book that is mentioned in that critique, but can't find it at the moment.  Probably still packed in some box.  I do not necessarily agree with every thing Philip Stott says.  I am not sure I believe his claim about the geocentricity, i.e. that the earth is the absolute centre of the universe and that the sun revolves around the earth.  That would be difficult to prove I think.  But if you take two steel balls of different sizes, say one is 1 LB and the other is 100 LB and tie them together with a cord and throw them into outer space.  What will happen?   They will of course revolve around each other, even if not uniformly.  So it might depend on one's perspective or point of view.  Which one is revolving around which one?  It's all relative.

He claims to be a doctor and such but isn't. He's a Young Earth Creationist....which you subscribe to, apparently.

He's a minister, really...and associated with Ken Ham and such. 

As one poster critical of his videos put it: he doesn't understand the Thorium decay chain...let alone the behaviour of Helium. He also claimed that Carbon 14 results from the decay of Nitrogen 14...that's actually backwards. Anyways...

Do you believe Carbon 14 dating is used to determine the age of the Earth?

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

He claims to be a doctor and such but isn't. He's a Young Earth Creationist....which you subscribe to, apparently.

He's a minister, really...and associated with Ken Ham and such. 

As one poster critical of his videos put it: he doesn't understand the Thorium decay chain...let alone the behaviour of Helium. He also claimed that Carbon 14 results from the decay of Nitrogen 14...that's actually backwards. Anyways...

Do you believe Carbon 14 dating is used to determine the age of the Earth?

His website I gave you does not say he is a doctor.  I am not sure where the claim that he refers to himself as a doctor came from. 

His website says nothing about him being a minister.  The information about him says the following:

Philip Stott   Philip Stott, Scientist

Check out Scripture and Science, our extensive online science workshop authored by Mr. Stott.

Philip Stott was born in England in 1943. After matriculating at Bridlington Grammar School he studied at Manchester University, where he obtained B.Sc. (with honours) and M. Sc. degrees in Civil Engineering. He lectured at universities in Nigeria and South Africa and carried out research in the analysis of geometrically non-linear structures. He shared the Henry Adams award for outstanding research in 1969. While lecturing at the University of the Witwatersrand he studied Biology. After leaving Wits he joined an engineering consulting firm as associate in charge of computing. His ongoing interest in all aspects of science led to studies in Mathematics and Astronomy with the University of South Africa, and later to four years of part time research with the Applied Mathematics department of the University of the Orange Free State.

After many years as a firm atheist he was converted to Christianity in 1976. Following several years of studying the conflicting claims of secular science and scripture he actively entered the Creation/Evolution debate  in 1989, while teaching Mathematics and Science at a mission station in Natal.  He gave lectures on the science/scripture controversy throughout South Africa and Namibia. In 1992 he was invited to address a conference in Russia and since then he has lectured, addressed conferences and taken part in debates in Eastern and Western Europe, America, Canada and Southern Africa. Venues have included  the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN), a UNESCO International Conference on the Teaching of Physics and the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Philip Stott is married to Margaret (born Lloyd), has two children, Robert and Angela, and two grandchildren, Sean and Julie. He lives in Bloemfontein, the capital of the Free State, South Africa.  Unquote

It says nothing about him being a minister.

I can't get into a debate about Nitrogen 14 or carbon 14 or the Thorium decay.  That is way above me.  I don't have any knowledge on them.

All I would say is I accept the simple verses in Genesis that God created the world.

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

His website I gave you does not say he is a doctor.  I am not sure where the claim that he refers to himself as a doctor came from. 

It says nothing about him being a minister.

I can't get into a debate about Nitrogen 14 or carbon 14 or the Thorium decay.  That is way above me.  I don't have any knowledge on them.

All I would say is I accept the simple verses in Genesis that God created the world.

Well, he got them wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decay_chain#Thorium_series

Edited by DogOnPorch

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Well, he got them wrong.

That could be.  As I said, I don't accept everything he said as accurate.  But I do believe he made a lot of valuable information available.  I wouldn't dismiss most of what he said.  He is a sincere man and is not trying to be deceptive.  Nobody is suggesting he is trying to fool anyone.

That could be.  As I said, I don't accept everything he said as accurate.  But I do believe he made a lot of valuable information available.  I wouldn't dismiss most of what he said.  He is a sincere man and is not trying to be deceptive.  Nobody is suggesting he is trying to fool anyone.

lol...okay.

But, heads-up...now you know his information is incorrect.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

lol...okay.

But, heads-up...now you know his information is incorrect.

I wouldn't generalize and say "his information is incorrect".  That is a generality. I would be cautious.  He may not have everything correct.  But I wouldn't dismiss everything because someone came up with a few errors in incorrect explanations about something. 

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

I wouldn't generalize and say "his information is incorrect".  That is a generality. I would be cautious.  He may not have everything correct.  But I wouldn't dismiss everything because someone came up with a few errors in incorrect explanations about something. 

If you can believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, Phil Stott is the guy for you. I'm not here to change you. Just pointing-out his obvious lack of chemistry background while he uses pseudo-chemistry as a method to convince you to buy his books.