Why Trust the Bible?

betsy

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

No.  I was convinced the account in Genesis is true before I heard his slide presentation.  He went into all kinds of things that were very fascinating.

The universe I believe was created at the same time as the earth.  So all the planets, starts, galaxies, black holes, etc. must have been created at the same time.  Prior to that, perhaps there was nothing.

What about metallicity? Do you have some knowledge of chemistry and how all that works? 

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

When a scientist sees a star, he might say that light has been traveling a million light years, which is a phenomenal distance.  But it was probably created around six thousand years ago.

So physics, chemistry, mathematics and such are all simply wrong?

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

What about metallicity? Do you have some knowledge of chemistry and how all that works? 

Some but it was a long time ago.  I had a chemistry lab in the basement when I was a kid.  Had quite a collection of chemicals.  Passed chemistry in high school but can't remember much now.  I know a little about chemical reactions.   What about metalicity?

Just now, blackbird said:

Some but it was a long time ago.  I had a chemistry lab in the basement when I was a kid.  Had quite a collection of chemicals.  Passed chemistry in high school but can't remember much now.  I know a little about chemical reactions.   What about metalicity?

So none, really.

So physics, chemistry, mathematics and such are all simply wrong?

No, of course not.  Professor Philip Stott explained that the scientific method was actually abandoned by many scientists.  He explained the importance of the scientific method.  Some theories in science have been abandoned as new knowledge is discovered.

No, of course not.  Professor Philip Stott explained that the scientific method was actually abandoned by many scientists.  He explained the importance of the scientific method.  Some theories in science have been abandoned as new knowledge is discovered.

What? The scientific method is not being abandoned no matter what your church leaders say.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

What? The scientific method is not being abandoned no matter what your church leaders say.

Well, professor Stott said it has not always been followed as it should have been.  Sometimes claims have been made without clear proof and using the scientific method.

Well, professor Stott said it has not always been followed as it should have been.  Sometimes claims have been made without clear proof and using the scientific method.

He's incorrect. Can you describe the 'scientific method'?

I can't remember the scientific method except to say it is a series of steps to follow before coming to a conclusion about something.

So let's recap: you have no understanding of ANY of these things but have allowed an 'expert' to tell you that things like physics, chemistry and mathematics are wrong.

You might see where I think you're out in left field picking daisies...

You're disagreeing with far more than Evolution.

Well yes, anything that claims the age of something in the universe was long, i.e. millions or billions of years, would not be in agreement with biblical creation.  I would have to disagree with long ages of things.

So let's recap: you have no understanding of ANY of these things but have allowed an 'expert' to tell you that things like physics, chemistry and mathematics are wrong.

You might see where I think you're out in left field picking daisies...

This is where you are misunderstanding what I believe.  I never said I don't believe Physics, chemistry and mathematics.  I do believe in the conventional teachings about them.  They do not conflict with the long earth age beliefs.  Mathematics, chemistry, and physics is based on certain laws and principles which I would agree with.

Well yes, anything that claims the age of something in the universe was long, i.e. millions or billions of years, would not be in agreement with biblical creation.  I would have to disagree with long ages of things.

And your evidence that the entire Universe is only 6,000 years old is from a book that was written in the Bronze Age...by folks who thought the Earth was flat.

This is where you are misunderstanding what I believe.  I never said I don't believe Physics, chemistry and mathematics.  I do believe in the conventional teachings about them.  They do not conflict with the long earth age beliefs.  Mathematics, chemistry, and physics is based on certain laws and principles which I would agree with.

No...they all have to be wrong according to your version of the Universe. You don't get to pick and choose....either atomic bombs work or they do not.

Professor Stott was a mathematician himself.  He believes in mathematics.  He has no problem with true science.  He just doesn't agree with things like the theory of evolution which are unproven by the scientific method.

He's no mathematician. He's certainly not a scientist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Stott

And your evidence that the entire Universe is only 6,000 years old is from a book that was written in the Bronze Age...by folks who thought the Earth was flat.

No...they all have to be wrong according to your version of the Universe. You don't get to pick and choose....either atomic bombs work or they do not.

He's no mathematician. He's certainly not a scientist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Stott

There is more than one Philip Stott on google.  The one I heard was a professor from South Africa.  Think he was born in England.  He has taught mathematics in university I believe.  He has traveled around the world attending conferences and such on evolution and lectured on the subject.  He has written at least one book on related topics.  He is a very knowledgeable speaker.  Yes, I believe he has a degree or degrees, most likely in mathematics.

There is more than one Philip Stott on google.  The one I heard was a professor from South Africa.  Think he was born in England.  He has taught mathematics in university I believe.  He has traveled around the world attending conferences and such on evolution and lectured on the subject.  He has written at least one book on related topics.  He is a very knowledgeable speaker.  Yes, I believe he has a degree or degrees, most likely in mathematics.

Nah...that's him.