Why Trust the Bible?

betsy

We have giant beds of coal because during the Carboniferous Period, 350 million ya, bacteria hadn't developed the ability to consume cellulose and other complex polysaccharides...just sayin'. Things didn't rot like they do today....even with 30% O2 and high humidity.

What does the Bible say about that?

:)

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

We have giant beds of coal because during the Carboniferous Period, 350 million ya, bacteria hadn't developed the ability to consume cellulose and other complex polysaccharides...just sayin'. Things didn't rot like they do today....even with 30% O2 and high humidity.

What does the Bible say about that?

:)

It says God created the earth.  Some theologians think it was created six to ten thousand years ago.  All that coal would have likely been in the earth at the time it was created.  IN other words in my humble opinion the earth was created with an apparent age built into it.  If you think about, when the trees and plants were created, they must have had an age at the time of creation.

Just now, blackbird said:

It says God created the earth.  Some theologians think it was created six to ten thousand years ago.  All that coal would have likely been in the earth at the time it was created.  IN other words in my humble opinion the earth was created with an apparent age built into it.  If you think about, when the trees and plants were created, they must have had an age at the time of creation.

So coal was created by Yahweh already in that form of carbon? Not as living plants first?

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

So coal was created by Yahweh already in that form of carbon? Not as living plants first?

That makes sense.  According to scientists, doesn't it take millions of years to convert plants into coal?  So the coal you see today must have been created with the earth.

That makes sense.  According to scientists, doesn't it take millions of years to convert plants into coal?  So the coal you see today must have been created with the earth.

And fossils of plants and such in these coal beds are what exactly?

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Theologians have estimate from the events in the Bible that it is possibly six thousand years old.  I think they get that from a timeline of events recorded in the Bible.

Do you believe that?

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Theologians have estimate from the events in the Bible that it is possibly six thousand years old.  I think they get that from a timeline of events recorded in the Bible.

Is that you pointing out how much the bible is hocus pocus finally.? Good for you.

Do you believe that?

Yes.  I believe the King James Bible.   I was fortunate to be able to hear a series of lectures by a scientist Professor Philip Stott for four evening on the subject of creation and evolution.  It was a slide presentation.  He showed how from a scientific point of view the theory of evolution doesn't hold up and many other things.

If you gave a monkey a typewriter and allowed him to keep typing until he typed out the complete works of Shakespeare, how long would it take?   That is like the theory of evolution.  Statistically there is not enough time in the universe for evolution to occur because the random chance processes don't have enough time to create an evolving life.  He said mathematically it is not possible.

Edited by blackbird

He believe the earth could have been struck by a giant meteor that caused a huge tidal wave to rush around the earth several kilometers in height.  There may be some evidence for the earth being struck by a giant meteor because the earth could have been knocked off of it's axis.  There is scientific evidence based upon the amount of the wobble and they have calculated when it was hit by the meteor.

Edited by blackbird

Yes.  I believe the King James Bible.   I was fortunate to be able to hear a series of lectures by a scientist Professor Philip Stott for four evening on the subject of creation and evolution.  It was a slide presentation.  He showed how from a scientific point of view the theory of evolution doesn't hold up and many other things.

How did he do that? Or is the above probability theory all that convinced you?

I suppose I'd have a few other questions...but let's stick to this. What about metallicity? It shows the Earth wasn't created in the beginning...but rather after other stars went supernova in order to make elements beyond Lithium. As well, new stars & planets are being made as we type on our devices...any idea why?

How did he do that? Or is the above probability theory all that convinced you?

I suppose I'd have a few other questions...but let's stick to this. What about metallicity? It shows the Earth wasn't created in the beginning...but rather after other stars went supernova in order to make elements beyond Lithium. As well, new stars & planets are being made as we type on our devices...any idea why?

No.  I was convinced the account in Genesis is true before I heard his slide presentation.  He went into all kinds of things that were very fascinating.

The universe I believe was created at the same time as the earth.  So all the planets, starts, galaxies, black holes, etc. must have been created at the same time.  Prior to that, perhaps there was nothing.

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Another question would be...just for you pondering...why can we see farther than 6,000 ly?

The same reason the earth was created with a certain age.  The whole universe would have been created with an apparent age.  In an instant the universe would have been created with galaxies, stars, etc.  Even with the light from stars giving the impression it has been traveling for billions of years, when in fact, it must have been created to appear that way.

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

He believe the earth could have been struck by a giant meteor that caused a huge tidal wave to rush around the earth several kilometers in height.  There may be some evidence for the earth being struck by a giant meteor because the earth could have been knocked off of it's axis.  There is scientific evidence based upon the amount of the wobble and they have calculated when it was hit by the meteor.

Hit by a meteor in the period of human existence that knocked Earth off it's axis causing a giant tidal wave? There is zero evidence of that, I'm afraid. It would have to have been QUITE the meteor. There is evidence from the Lunar Landings that the Moon is actually ejecta from an ancient collision with a co-orbital planet that collided with Earth...but that was billions of years ago.

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

The same reason the earth was created with a certain age.  The whole universe would have been created with an apparent age.  In an instant the universe would have been created with galaxies, stars, etc.  Even with the light from stars giving the impression it has been traveling for billions of years, when in fact, it must have been created to appear that way.

I think you don't really understand the subject...but okay.