Liberal's "Charm Offensive" Did More Harm Than Good?

When the Liberals went giddy about their "charm offensive," and they were everywhere on tv calling it such, it suggests that Trump and his people are naive enough to fall for that kind of tactics.  What more, the Liberals bragged about it in the media!  It's like being at war, and telling the public how you'll deal with the enemy.

This is negotiations, folks.  Negotiations doesn't actually begins at the bargaining table.

Why on earth did the Liberals have to brag about their "charm offensive?"  Publicly, to boot?  Like as if Trump team doesn't watch tv, or keep abreast of what's happening next door.  

The bragging of the "charm offensive," places the Trump team at an uncomfortable position:  they'd look naive in public if they become amenable!  What other position would the Trump team be forced to take than to play hard ball?    :lol:

So now, not only is Trump dumping on Canada (trade), but there seems to be hostility in his message!   I wouldn't be surprised if this is the result of the so-called "charm offensive".....with Trump saying, "it didn't work, folks.  I'm not stupid."

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

The Liberals were still gloating and celebrating over their win. They are probably regretting it now.

No doubt it does rub Trump the wrong way, he is incredibly thin skinned but it isn't Canada's fault he has zero charm.

His whole MO is creating enemies to justify his existence and cover his incompetence. Right now he sees Canada as an easy target but as usual, he will stumble over facts and details because he can't be bothered with them.  

Edited by Wilber

It has nothing to do with charm! 

Bottom-line:  Canada thinks trade with the USA is important more than the USA sees it the other way around.  It was the Liberals who were like deer caught in the headlights until they came up with this brilliant idea of using "charm."  Nothing wrong about that.  Charm could work.

But the silly twits went on tv to divulge their strategy!  And they were preening like fools - fishing for compliments for that brilliant idea!  And they did these media blitz a few days before they went to Washington! :rolleyes: They made the Trump team seem like idiots on tv,  who'll easily fall for it!

It'll be like me posting and announcing on my status update:  "I'm going to butter up to Wilber so he'll be more than willing to see my pov.........and he'll give me lots of likes!"   Would you fall for the compliments I give you henceforth, and give me likes?  :D

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Team Trudeau already took action against U.S. dairy and drywall interests before Trump's new softwood lumber tariff.

Trump did not create the longstanding softwood lumber "file"....he just happens to be the current president when the agreement expired.

When it comes to business, the U.S. is not Canada's BFF; the U.S. is Canada's competitor.

45 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Team Trudeau already took action against U.S. dairy and drywall interests before Trump's new softwood lumber tariff.

Trump did not create the longstanding softwood lumber "file"....he just happens to be the current president when the agreement expired.

When it comes to business, the U.S. is not Canada's BFF; the U.S. is Canada's competitor.

The softwood lumber was brought up numerous times over the years....

I don't know much about it, but from what I heard Trump's decision on 20% tariff won't be beneficial to the USA too. 

I couldn't help but think that this has something to do with Trudeau, more than anything else.  Remember Trudeau's taking pot shots at Trump?

Maybe, hopefully....... Trump is working on making  it easy to get rid of Trudeau in the next election....

Edited by betsy

Trudeau's trade minions went after the U.S. before Trump's action on softwood lumber.

Did Trudeau think that the Trump administration wouldn't notice ?

U.S. new home prices would only increase about $1300 because of the tariffs on lumber...not all Canadian producers will be taxed at the highest 24% rate.

1 hour ago, betsy said:

It has nothing to do with charm! 

Bottom-line:  Canada thinks trade with the USA is important more than the USA sees it the other way around.  It was the Liberals who were like deer caught in the headlights until they came up with this brilliant idea of using "charm."  Nothing wrong about that.  Charm could work.

No it doesn't. It has to do with reality. The US is more important to us because exports to the US are a larger part of our economy. On the other hand, the US enjoys a trade surplus with Canada in goods and services. The US has more to lose in actual dollars.

US Trade Representative

2016 Canadian Dairy Exports to US

2016 Canada Dairy Imports from US

Trump is FOS as usual. The only question is, does he know it? I don't think he cares.

Trudeau doesn't have to charm Trump because Congress makes the final decision when it comes to trade agreements. Those states having a trade surplus with Canada won't be interested in Trump's rhetoric. Particularly when you see that the majority of US exports to Canada are in agriculture and manufacturing, where their biggest import is energy.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Trudeau should mark up tariffs on some type of goods by the same dollar amount this will cost us.  Don't let the bully see you blink.

Adding tariffs will do nothing but cause the other guy to do the same as well and next every good from the US will have tariffs. Trudeau should create trade relations with different parties and move away from the US in response.

2 minutes ago, herples said:

Adding tariffs will do nothing but cause the other guy to do the same as well and next every good from the US will have tariffs. Trudeau should create trade relations with different parties and move away from the US in response.

Agreed...Canada has chosen to be very dependent on the U.S. market for exports.  Time to diversify....decades ago.

In one fell swoop, Trudeau declares this thread completely out to lunch. He's like a bloody Trump Whisperer. With one phone call, Trump suddenly understands the importance of NAFTA and is backing down completely. It's funny how U.S. policy is now based on the last person that Trump talked to. It must be hard for his supporters to keep up with what they believe in. They have to change their arguments like the wind.

22 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

In one fell swoop, Trudeau declares this thread completely out to lunch. He's like a bloody Trump Whisperer. With one phone call, Trump suddenly understands the importance of NAFTA and is backing down completely. It's funny how U.S. policy is now based on the last person that Trump talked to. It must be hard for his supporters to keep up with what they believe in. They have to change their arguments like the wind.

Of course, you're basing that info from Trudeau and the CBC.  What are the chances that Trudeau and Mexico suddenly made a compromise with Trump, just so USA won't pull out?  And actually, that's part of Trump's negotiation tactic?  He got them in a position he wanted them to be?

Notice how Trudeau is subtly saying he  knocked some sense into Trump, and made Trump realize that....."gee, so many people with jobs thru NAFTA. Thanks Justin for that info. "

Yeah....he does makes himself seem like a "Trump-whisperer."  Stepping on Trump to make himself (Trudeau) look good to Canadians. 

Here we go again with Trudeau preening (and making Trump look dumb to Canadians).......and the likely coming fall-out because of that statement. :)

I say it ain't over til the fat lady sings.   Watch!

Edited by betsy

According to Bloomberg.  Because they don't think Trump can be trusted, Mexico is looking at doing deals with the EU and New Zealand to replace the 1.2 B in powdered milk and other dairy now imported from the US.

Bloomberg

Losing that plus the half billion they currently export to Canada should work out real well for those folks in Wisconsin.

Edited by Wilber
Added Link

CTV yesterday,  ignored Nieto who also spoke to Trump.....and gave all the credits to Trudeau, as the one who knocked some sense into Trump! :lol:

If Trump doesn't like the deal - the USA will pull out!  That's the condition.

The ball is now in Canada and Mexico's hands.  If they want NAFTA, they better make sure Trump will like the deal.  That's the position that Trump got them both into.  These two gentlemen that he said on tv,  he "likes and admires....."  will have to come up with something really good! 

Edited by betsy

12 hours ago, Wilber said:

According to Bloomberg.  Because they don't think Trump can be trusted, Mexico is looking at doing deals with the EU and New Zealand to replace the 1.2 B in powdered milk and other dairy now imported from the US.

Bloomberg

Losing that plus the half billion they currently export to Canada should work out real well for those folks in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin isn't the USA.

NAFTA at 20: One Million U.S. Jobs Lost, Higher Income Inequality

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lori-wallach/nafta-at-20-one-million-u_b_4550207.html

Edited by betsy

CBC was really pushing that trudeau talked trump out of it. I imagine it was the 35 governors that need trade with canada, , that called before trudeau ,that changed his mind. And in his book the art of the deaql .trump states that to start a neg, you need to hit the guy over the head with a hammer. That is what trump did. Trudeau has bigger problems now with a defence minister that needs to be fired .

18 hours ago, betsy said:

Of course, you're basing that info from Trudeau and the CBC.  What are the chances that Trudeau and Mexico suddenly made a compromise with Trump, just so USA won't pull out?  And actually, that's part of Trump's negotiation tactic?  He got them in a position he wanted them to be?

No, I'm basing it on Trump's actual words. He said he changed his mind after Trudeau told him how important it was to the U.S. You can try to spin that however you want, but it seems to me the president is out of his league.

1 minute ago, PIK said:

CBC was really pushing that trudeau talked trump out of it. I imagine it was the 35 governors that need trade with canada, , that called before trudeau ,that changed his mind. And in his book the art of the deaql .trump states that to start a neg, you need to hit the guy over the head with a hammer. That is what trump did. Trudeau has bigger problems now with a defence minister that needs to be fired .

Just like Trump to cancel something he knows nothing about. But this isn't the first time we have seen that from him. 

1 hour ago, LonJowett said:

No, I'm basing it on Trump's actual words. He said he changed his mind after Trudeau told him how important it was to the U.S. You can try to spin that however you want, but it seems to me the president is out of his league.

FAKE NEWS! :)   You're giving all the credit to Trudeau!

It wasn't  just Trudeau!  It was both Trudeau, Nieto and American lobbyists! 

Timer:  1:00

The narrarive of Trump is different from Trudeau's.  Trump didn't say Trudeau had convinced him:

Edited by betsy