Banning the Combustion engine

There is less incentive for people to buy in many markets.  Hawaii 36 cents per kwh, LA and New York 20 cents per kwh, Ontario, etc.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Canadians are buying fewer passenger cars and more SUVs, vans, and trucks, very few of which are EVs:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/econ58a-eng.htm

Maybe that's because everyone who is looking at buying a passenger vehicle is not buying a combustion vehicle, hobbling along on repairs and pre-ordering an electric?  Just a thought.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/18/tesla-model-3-reservations-delivery-mid-2018/

Edited by ZenOps

6 minutes ago, ZenOps said:

...Maybe that's because everyone who is looking at buying a passenger vehicle is not buying a combustion vehicle, hobbling along on repairs and pre-ordering an electric?  Just a thought.

Or maybe not.....this story characterizes Canadian vehicle buying habits.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/canada-versus-the-united-states-a-tale-of-two-car-markets/article16976409/

Canada's Zenn Motor Company failed after a few years of very limited production:

Owners of the 500 or so Model Year 2007 to 2010 ZENN Motors low-speed electric vehicles will soon discover that servicing such vehicles will be an incredibly difficult task.

Needs Parts?  Oh Well.

Needs Parts? Oh Well.

That’s because the now-defunct (from making cars at least) ZENN Motors, which ceased production of its low-speed electric vehicles back in 2010, has decided to no longer provide parts or to service the electric vehicles it sold.

http://insideevs.com/electric-vehicle-maker-zenn-motors-decides-to-no-longer-service-its-vehicles-or-sell-replacement-parts/

Canada has no major domestic car make, regardless of engine type.   All are foreign owned.

As is the case with most issues, the status quo is worried about how to do more stupid things to maintain the status quo.

Banning internal combustion private transport is yet another half-baked idealistic page from the tree-hugger's mantra.

If they had ANY idea of just what is at stake, they would instead try to understand and plan for how to stop making endless, useless trips - many for the purpose of doing endless, useless jobs that create no wealth. That and breading like rabbits.  The morons are focused on swatting flies while a Great White is about to eat their ass.

8 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Or maybe not.....this story characterizes Canadian vehicle buying habits.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/canada-versus-the-united-states-a-tale-of-two-car-markets/article16976409/

Canada's Zenn Motor Company failed after a few years of very limited production:

Canada has no major domestic car make, regardless of engine type.   All are foreign owned.

Does any country with Canada's population have a major car make that isn't foreign owned? I don't think so.

6 hours ago, Wilber said:

Does any country with Canada's population have a major car make that isn't foreign owned? I don't think so.

Several countries have their own car makes, and EVs specifically, like Rimac Automobili in Croatia.   Major car make on the EV landscape for supercars.   Croatia has a much smaller population than Canada.

The point being, as described above by another member, it will likely be foreign makers that determine what kind of automotive engines/drive trains will be available in Canada.  

48 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Several countries have their own car makes, and EVs specifically, like Rimac Automobili in Croatia.   Major car make on the EV landscape for supercars.   Croatia has a much smaller population than Canada.

The point being, as described above by another member, it will likely be foreign makers that determine what kind of automotive engines/drive trains will be available in Canada.  

There are people developing EV's in Canada as well. Electra Mechanica

Kudos to Rimac Automobil but when did it become a "major domestic car make"? with 250 employees.

Just now, Wilber said:

There are people developing EV's in Canada as well. Electra Mechanica

Kudos to Rimac Automobil but when did it become a "major domestic car make"? with 250 employees.

When it started getting $1,000,000 per EV supercar. 

Where can I buy a Canadian designed/built EV today ?

16 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

When it started getting $1,000,000 per EV supercar. 

Where can I buy a Canadian designed/built EV today ?

You mean the eight Concept 1's they were supposed to build and sell or the Concept S which they have yet to sell?

I'm sure you could find a used Zenn. Good luck getting a Rimac.

Edited by Wilber

19 minutes ago, Wilber said:

You mean the eight Concept 1's they were supposed to build and sell or the Concept S which they have yet to sell?

I'm sure you could find a used Zenn. Good luck getting a Rimac.

Maybe I could find a used Bricklin SV-1 too, but that doesn't mean Canada has a present day domestic make in production.   Poland does...as do several other "smaller" nations.

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Maybe I could find a used Bricklin SV-1 too, but that doesn't mean Canada has a present day domestic make in production.   Poland does...as do several other "smaller" nations.

Well the first Electra Mechanicas are due for deliver in Q1 next year. Let us know when you get a delivery date on your Rimac.

Had a look at the Solo at the Vancouver Auto show. Definitely not a kit car. Fit and finish looked good. Power windows, A/C, LCD instruments, Remote keyless entry. 

On 4/16/2017 at 8:22 AM, Wilber said:

Many if not all have heavy government support for their auto industries, directly and indriectly.  USA, Spain, Japan, France, Germany , Brazil, Mexico etc

2 hours ago, overthere said:

Many if not all have heavy government support for their auto industries, directly and indriectly.  USA, Spain, Japan, France, Germany , Brazil, Mexico etc

Canada does so as well (e.g. General Motors Canada), but it subsidizes foreign owned auto makers instead.

2 minutes ago, overthere said:

Also common in the USA, who routinely offer big incentives for BMW and all the rest to build there.

But the USA actually has domestically owned car makes...Canada doesn't.

I don't understand how Canada is going to ban IC engines for an industry that is controlled by foreign owned multinationals.

Banning IC engines would be devastating to Ontario's automotive industry.

7 minutes ago, overthere said:

Also common in the USA, who routinely offer big incentives for BMW and all the rest to build there.

Yup, BMW is the biggest exporter of US built vehicles, bigger than Ford or GM. 70% of BMW's  US production is exported. As well as all the vehicles Honda builds for the US, it exports more US built vehicles than it imports vehicles into the US.

Edited by Wilber

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I don't understand how Canada is going to ban IC engines for an industry that is controlled by foreign owned multinationals.

Banning IC engines would be devastating to Ontario's automotive industry.

It won't and it would.

Edited by Wilber

I'm not sure why this distinction matters to you.  The UK is another place that has basically no major domestic manufacturers left, Rover was the last one I think, now owned by Indian Tata Group.

In reality 'domestic' has little meaning.  All the big firms are multinational, have plants everywhere, and get parts from everywhere.

Canada is also not alone in this.  Germany, Norway, Sweden are also mumbling about banning IC engines.