"IGNORE" in forums

betsy

I don't know where to put this topic.....I suppose it can turn into a philosophical discussion, too.  This was inspired by an argument in Support section ("MLW" thread).

Have you put someone on ignore?  Why?

What are the pro(s) and con(s) of having someone on ignore?

When you've put someone on ignore, do you really follow through?  No peeking?

----------------------------------

Yes, I've put a few folks on ignore at some time.....but I've taken them off it, too.  The reason was due to senseless posts and name-callings (which were distracting), and the thread was spiralling down.   I've taken them out after a "cooling" period ........the cooling was for me!  :D    I hardly put anyone on ignore.  They really, really have to be so obnoxious - even then, I think I'll never put anyone there again, because there is a downside to putting someone on ignore.

When I put someone on ignore, I'm "out-of-the-loop" in a way with how the discussion is going.  If others are responding and debating with him - especially if it's a subject you're very much interested about -  you are missing parts of it.  Some folks responding to an obnoxious poster may have very effective, tactful smack downs....... and sometimes they're hilarious.  I've seen some here and chuckled as I read from the sidelines.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

I don't even know what happens when one puts someone on ignore.  I've never done it.  Is the the ignoree notified in any way?

Betsy, I'm going to put you on ignore for a day just to see what happens.

I've been here a long time. For most of that time I had no one on ignore. The first person I put on ignore is a Chinese nationalist who in imperfect English,  makes consistent claims about how wonderful and free China is, with its great devotion to human rights and a free court system. This was a person who, if they weren't actually a paid member of the Chinese Communist party and working for their government might as well be. There is no actual discussion possible with him, so why would I read his brainless blather?

Lately I've added a number of other people to my ignore list. One was smart but he was so plain nasty that he inspired me to insult him back and that just wound up getting me suspended. Most of the others are crackpots with lunatic conspiracy theories or strange delusions of reality - as in Turkey is the most wonderful -- well , see the Chinese guy above. Same thing. You can't reply to these people as they deserve because the moderators will suspend you. and since there's nothing they write that isn't dreck why waste time reading it? There's also one well known troll who acts much like Chinese guy and Turkish girl. He's intelligent enough when he wants to discuss something but just too irritating in his endless flexing bout how great Americuh is.

Do I ever peek? Occasionally, but very rarely, and only when bored. I'm never tempted to reply. Nothing they say is worth replying to.

13 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I don't even know what happens when one puts someone on ignore.  I've never done it.  Is the the ignoree notified in any way?

Betsy, I'm going to put you on ignore for a day just to see what happens.

You don't see their posts. They are shrunk down to a tiny line which say something like 'you can't see this reply because you're ignoring so and so'.  After a while you don't even notice the lines. If someone is not worth reading it simply saves you the bother of scrolling past them.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

You don't see their posts. They are shrunk down to a tiny line which say something like 'you can't see this reply because you're ignoring so and so'.  After a while you don't even notice the lines. If someone is not worth reading it simply saves you the bother of scrolling past them.

If someone on ignore creates a topic - do you see the topic title?  And the author's name?

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, betsy said:

If someone on ignore creates a topic - do you see the topic title?  And the author's name?

Unfortunately. Especially now given most of the topics seem to be created by a troika of crazies.

20 hours ago, Argus said:

I've been here a long time. For most of that time I had no one on ignore. The first person I put on ignore is a Chinese nationalist who in imperfect English,  makes consistent claims about how wonderful and free China is, with its great devotion to human rights and a free court system. This was a person who, if they weren't actually a paid member of the Chinese Communist party and working for their government might as well be. There is no actual discussion possible with him, so why would I read his brainless blather?

Lately I've added a number of other people to my ignore list. One was smart but he was so plain nasty that he inspired me to insult him back and that just wound up getting me suspended. Most of the others are crackpots with lunatic conspiracy theories or strange delusions of reality - as in Turkey is the most wonderful -- well , see the Chinese guy above. Same thing. You can't reply to these people as they deserve because the moderators will suspend you. and since there's nothing they write that isn't dreck why waste time reading it? There's also one well known troll who acts much like Chinese guy and Turkish girl. He's intelligent enough when he wants to discuss something but just too irritating in his endless flexing bout how great Americuh is.

Do I ever peek? Occasionally, but very rarely, and only when bored. I'm never tempted to reply. Nothing they say is worth replying to.

What about those who every second word is Mufti or as their viewpoint runs parallel to yours their zealotry is OK with you?  This is how you become insular in your ideological bubble.  I don't even have our "6 deg of Uncle Sam" contributor on ignore even though I strongly suspect they are an intentional traffic generator on this site.  I occasionally see some informative data that I may miss otherwise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob Macadoo said:

What about those who every second word is Mufti or as their viewpoint runs parallel to yours their zealotry is OK with you?  This is how you become insular in your ideological bubble.  I don't even have our "6 deg of Uncle Sam" contributor on ignore even though I strongly suspect they are an intentional traffic generator on this site.  I occasionally see some informative data that I may miss otherwise.

I don't regard information from alex jones or infowars as informative data I wouldn't want to miss. And I rarely do more than lightly skim the posts of zealots on 'my side' as it were. Remember, I did not say I put left wing zealots on ignore. I said I put crazies on ignore.

It is a shame this certain individual"s" have decided that ranting is better than debate. Some of the topics created have started some very lively debate. I may question some of the sources or ideology but the debate is good. 

Start a blog if you want to rant but a forum on politics and than ignore a majority of people that post arguments is just silly.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎09 at 11:37 AM, JamesHackerMP said:

Well we know who this is really about don't we? LOL

If someone's been actually inflammatory, it's quite right to ignore.  Otherwise, don't bother.  It's childish to put people on ignore because you disagree with them at all.

I disagree with you and have put you on ignore!

p.s. just joking...I agree with your comments 100% and Godess's and Wilbur. Why bother to ignore. Just don't read the posts of the person. Lol I love it when people tell me thy don't read my posts, then respond in detail to them. That's fun.

Mr. Hacker feel free to ignore moi. Lol.  Seriously if someone like you makes an effort to say something, the least I can do is respond. Just because one does not agree with someone doesn't mean you should ignore them. Its a debate forum.

Regards,

Rue

" I find the best way to be ignored is to leave my fly undone."

Rue 1897

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎09 at 11:56 PM, Ash74 said:

It is a shame this certain individual"s" have decided that ranting is better than debate. Some of the topics created have started some very lively debate. I may question some of the sources or ideology but the debate is good. 

Start a blog if you want to rant but a forum on politics and than ignore a majority of people that post arguments is just silly.

"To some its called ranting, to others its called foreplay, either way it can spread disease if you don't take precautions."

Rue 1499

Hey I think I was first back on the "ignore" list. Apparently I was dishonest. If anybody knows how I was being dishonest I will like your post.

Edited by Ash74

On 2017-04-08 at 6:41 AM, betsy said:

I don't know where to put this topic.....I suppose it can turn into a philosophical discussion, too.  This was inspired by an argument in Support section ("MLW" thread).

Have you put someone on ignore?  Why?

What are the pro(s) and con(s) of having someone on ignore?

I've only ever put a few ppl on ignore, for various reasons.  But overall, I only have a certain amount of time in my day, and a certain amount of time on this earth to enjoy.  If a particular poster is literally a consistent waste of my time to read their posts and overall I get no positive value from reading them, then they'll go on my ignore list.