MLW

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

He wasn't booted. He left in a snit. Though I suspect he's still here.

Yeah, I know he left of his own accord. 

And as to him still being here, I wondered who else was giving him points.  I sure as hell haven't given him 400+

3 hours ago, Altai said:

Putting everyone in ignore and banning them is the same thing. But banning them is an exact solution, while they are still keep trolling around when we put them in ignore.

If you had them on ignore, how do you know they "keep trolling around." :lol:

FYI, I don't think members are complaining because he's "trolling."  How do you define a troll, anyway? 

We're complaining because he's SPAMMING!  He's posting the same propaganda in every thread!  And he's trying to derail the discussions.   At least that's what I'm complaining about. 

And yes, he's a whiny spammer, to boot - just look at this thread he created.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 10:59 AM, Altai said:

Putting everyone in ignore and banning them is the same thing. 

No. They are not the same thing.

I suggest that everybody focuses on controlling their own posting behavior before they aim to control the postings of others.

23 hours ago, Argus said:

I generally ignore such derailments, but unfortunately ....

...I can not tell whether that is a Yes or a No.  No matter.  I will answer your question anyways.  

On 4/5/2017 at 3:19 PM, Argus said:

Do you not feel, Charles, that a person who persists in posting the same message all across the spectrum of conversations here, always trying to bring the subject to the same thing, is derailing discussions?

That depends on what everybody else does.

When everybody ignores the alleged-derailment, my feelings and the allegation are irrelevent because the alleged-derailment becomes repetition** which is not allowed either. The prescription for moderator intervention does not hinge upon how you want to label it --- derailment or otherwise.  

When folks-who-generally-but-not-always feed the derailment, then "No." but my feelings are hurt anyways.  

No Cross-Posting

Cross posting is defined as posting the same information in more then one forum on the Internet. It is also considered cross posting if you post the same information in different areas of these forums. If you want to propose a new topic, find the appropriate category and only post once.

All cross-posts will be deleted without warning.

23 hours ago, Argus said:

Yes.

Good.   Set an example to your fellow members by ignoring what you believe is derailment.  

ignoring = do not quote = do not respond  

48 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

No. They are not the same thing.

I suggest that everybody focuses on controlling their own posting behavior before they aim to control the postings of others.

Yes they are, when a troll gets banned, it wont post anything anymore, therefore there wont be a need to reply it. When a troll get ignored, it will still post but wont receieve any reply. So both ways go out the same place.

There are trolls because they dont control their own post behavior. Then we should control it for them.

Edited by Altai
  • Downvote 3

32 minutes ago, Altai said:

Yes they are, when a troll gets banned, it wont post anything anymore, therefore there wont be a need to reply it. When a troll get ignored, it will still post but wont receieve any reply. So both ways go out the same place.

There are trolls because they dont control their own post behavior. Then we should control it for them.

How do you define a troll? Because I wouldn't consider many of the people you've bragged about blocking to be a troll. But there is a poster that seems to have been put in Der Cooler, that you're cool with, that's objectively a troll. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Altai said:

When someone gets banned, he can't participate anymore.  He cannot post.

When someone is put on ignore by you, he can still post -  he can still actively participate - but you won't see his posts (unless you take a peek).    He won't get any replies from you.  Yes, he can still get responses from others.  He'll get replies unless everyone decide to put him on ignore - if it gets to that point, I bet he'll end up getting banned.

Someone you put on ignore might not even care that you don't reply to his posts - but he can still post in your threads.

When you put someone on ignore......the onus is on you to have the self-discipline, to not peek at the post(s) of the people you have put on ignore.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Boges said:

How do you define a troll? Because I wouldn't consider many of the people you've bragged about blocking to be a troll. But there is a poster that seems to have been put in Der Cooler, that you're cool with, that's objectively a troll. 

We also have discussed this before in another topic,  The meaning of the word troll is clear. You think they are not trolls because you are agree with them in many issues and this means you will be with them sooner or later. Or another option is you didnt talk to them before and you have no idea about their general attitudes.

Edited by Altai

• Forum Admin

This isn't a support topic, so I've closed this thread.

I have updated the reputation system, to only allow "Likes" - and the like will be associated with your account.

We will see if that improves the situation at all.

• Greg locked this topic