Would Trump do a deal like this?

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

This is what the Rebel Media reveals to us:

After receiving over a billion dollars in taxpayer money, a Canadian company is laying off 2000 workers in Canada and advertising jobs in Mexico and China.  Do you think Trump would do a deal like this?  Check Rebel Media dot com

Just look at Bombardier.  Imagine the gall of giving their top executives such huge pay raise, after receiving "help" from taxpayers!  They should scrap that subsidy.  We're being conned. Someone sitting in the government must be benefiting from helping Bombardier.

Edited by betsy

Just now, betsy said:

Just look at Bombardier.  Imagine the gall of giving their top executives such huge pay raise, after receiving "help" from taxpayers!  They should scrap that pay-out.  Someone sitting in the government must be benefiting from helping Bombardier.

Makes one wonder what is going on. 

5 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

It's interesting that we the taxpayer are subsidizing Bombardier to build planes for a saturated market while on the fringe of giving a foreign company billions to build fighter jets.

Why are we not developing and building our own fighter planes?  

Because we don't have the capability and the market for fighters is just as saturated.

6 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

It's interesting that we the taxpayer are subsidizing Bombardier to build planes for a saturated market while on the fringe of giving a foreign company billions to build fighter jets.

Why are we not developing and building our own fighter planes?  

Because development of modern fighter jets is extremely expensive, and would likely cost much more than the ~$40 billion we'd be spending to purchase and fly the F35 (or an alternate) for the next few decades.

A lot of people like to hold up the Avro Arrow as an example of what our aerospace industry can do, but one of the reasons the Arrow was developed was because we thought we could sell it to other countries (for example the U.K.) But when Britain failed to express an interest, it meant the entire cost of the program would be payed for by Canada, which probably contributed to its cancellation. A similar attempt by Canada to develop its own fighter jet now would likely meet the same fate... expensive development costs, failure to find foreign buyers, cancellation.

On 4/3/2017 at 2:22 AM, blackbird said:

After receiving over a billion dollars in taxpayer money, a Canadian company is laying off 2000 workers in Canada and advertising jobs in Mexico and China. 

First of all, it would have been nice to actually give a few more details... like the company name, what they manufacture, etc. Was the billion a loan that's been paid back or grant?

Secondly, it would also be useful to get a link to the actual article itself. News sources are dynamic... who knows if someone will be able to find your article if they don't see your post for a few hours.

Lastly, keep in mind that The Rebel as a source is... a little questionable. I voted conservative in the last election, and even I think they may be taking things too far to the right. I'd prefer seeing a reference from a more mainstream source.

Do you think Trump would do a deal like this?

Yes I do. Then of course he'd turn around and lie about it.

Check Rebel Media dot com

Think you got that name a bit wrong.

2 hours ago, segnosaur said:

First of all, it would have been nice to actually give a few more details... like the company name, what they manufacture, etc. Was the billion a loan that's been paid back or grant?

Secondly, it would also be useful to get a link to the actual article itself. News sources are dynamic... who knows if someone will be able to find your article if they don't see your post for a few hours.

Lastly, keep in mind that The Rebel as a source is... a little questionable. I voted conservative in the last election, and even I think they may be taking things too far to the right. I'd prefer seeing a reference from a more mainstream source.

Yes I do. Then of course he'd turn around and lie about it.

Think you got that name a bit wrong.

Yes, I should have given the actual www link.  But I thought it's easy to find.  Just Google the Rebel Media.  I do it all the time.  It is right there.  When you look at their website, you should see the video about the story.  I preferred not to mention the company myself.  It's not necessary anyway as the Rebel has it.  They give all the details as well.

Don't believe everything the left says against the Rebel Media because you know they will dismiss it as extreme.  It's actually not extreme.  Quite factual but not politically correct.  They don't hold back on giving any information they uncover.  I have no reason for doubting their reporting.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ezra Levant at a meeting in northwest B.C. before the last election in Sept. of 2015 at a large conference where he made a slide presentation on LNG and drilling for natural gas.  Very interesting.  Ezra is a very great Canadian in spite of what his detractors say.  The place was packed with several hundred people.  He talked to many people there as well before and after the presentation.  I'm sure he doesn't need the money but works hard to provide a service to Canadians to try to help Canada be a better country.  He has to pay the bills thou for what he is doing.  That's what I believe anyway. 

Edited by blackbird

18 hours ago, segnosaur said:

Because development of modern fighter jets is extremely expensive, and would likely cost much more than the ~$40 billion we'd be spending to purchase and fly the F35 (or an alternate) for the next few decades.

A lot of people like to hold up the Avro Arrow as an example of what our aerospace industry can do, but one of the reasons the Arrow was developed was because we thought we could sell it to other countries (for example the U.K.) But when Britain failed to express an interest, it meant the entire cost of the program would be payed for by Canada, which probably contributed to its cancellation. A similar attempt by Canada to develop its own fighter jet now would likely meet the same fate... expensive development costs, failure to find foreign buyers, cancellation.

For less than twenty aircraft maybe we should consider leasing them or something, get something current and proven and move on. No point in being the fanciest in the neighborhood today only to be obsolete tomorrow. Canada is into this new fighter jet program to the tune of something like a half billion dollars with nothing to show for it. Almost all given to foreign entities. 

I don't know, maybe we should stop thinking in terms of export all the time. What are we importing that we could build ourselves?

Bombardier for instance, what percentage of what they produce are actually being used in our domestic market? The Canadian taxpayer has been propping them up for decades, they should at least be a favored product for Canadian transportation companies.

Edited by Thinkinoutsidethebox

On 4/3/2017 at 0:22 AM, blackbird said:

After receiving over a billion dollars in taxpayer money, a Canadian company is laying off 2000 workers in Canada and advertising jobs in Mexico and China.  Do you think Trump would do a deal like this?  Check Rebel Media dot com

We have some brilliant minds in Ottawa, nobody thought to insert a caveat requiring the money stay within our borders?

• Like 1