Who hates bicycle guys?

Argus

Me! Me! Me! 

So here is a question. In the attached story, what happens is that a guy on a bike felt the car behind was following too closely, so he stopped and refused to move. In fact, he placed his bike sideways, trying to block the car from moving so he could yell at the driver. He also spit on his car. The driver of the car, making things worse, started to move - slowly, pushing the bicyclist backwards. The bicyclist continued to refuse to move. Eventually, after the video became public the driver was charged and pleaded guilty to assault and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle. 

I see no sign the idiot on the bicycle was charged, but he definitely should have been. In fact, the driver of the car was being restrained, in my opinion. A lot of guys would have gotten out and attacked the idiot on his bicycle.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/guilty-plea-for-driver-who-pushed-cyclist-with-his-car-on-bronson

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Me! Me! Me! 

So here is a question. In the attached story, what happens is that a guy on a bike felt the car behind was following too closely, so he stopped and refused to move. In fact, he placed his bike sideways, trying to block the car from moving so he could yell at the driver. He also spit on his car. The driver of the car, making things worse, started to move - slowly, pushing the bicyclist backwards. The bicyclist continued to refuse to move. Eventually, after the video became public the driver was charged and pleaded guilty to assault and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle. 

I see no sign the idiot on the bicycle was charged, but he definitely should have been. In fact, the driver of the car was being restrained, in my opinion. A lot of guys would have gotten out and attacked the idiot on his bicycle.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/guilty-plea-for-driver-who-pushed-cyclist-with-his-car-on-bronson

I'm shocked! Argus, a fine upstanding conservative citizen countenances breaking the law. 

46 minutes ago, Boges said:

Stopping in the middle of a lane is a massive douche move. You're a bike, you can move to the right and let someone pass you. 

The point wasn't that he couldn't move over. He stopped to teach the car driver a lesson because he felt he was too close. So he stopped and refused to let him by.

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

The point wasn't that he couldn't move over. He stopped to teach the car driver a lesson because he felt he was too close. So he stopped and refused to let him by.

There's a multitude of examples on Youtube of Cyclists public shaming people because they don't approve of how they drive. 

Here's an amusing example from the UK. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFRdEUN240

Because they can think they're being environmentally friendly they think they're better than people that drive cars. 

That being said cyclists are still better than E-Bike riders. You ride an E-bike you're admitting you're a huge loser. No one can look cool on an E-bike. 

Edited by Boges

3 hours ago, Boges said:

There's a multitude of examples on Youtube of Cyclists public shaming people because they don't approve of how they drive. 

Here's an amusing example from the UK. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFRdEUN240

Because they can think they're being environmentally friendly they think they're better than people that drive cars. 

That being said cyclists are still better than E-Bike riders. You ride an E-bike you're admitting you're a huge loser. No one can look cool on an E-bike. 

Another whole bunch of generalizations. You make a habit of this, Boges. Why?

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

Making such statements without knowing the facts is also that kind of "move". 

He probably just read the cite....

Maybe you should try doing that. I mean, it's an MSM site, and doesn't have anything in it about flying saucers or how Clinton is baking babies in pizza ovens but still...

Edited by Argus

38 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Challenging a motorist when on a bike or motorcycle is probably more stupid and dangerous because the bike rider is the only one who stands to get hurt or killed.

Normal people expect normal people in society. I know it is becoming less so but that is still the reasonable expectation of normal people. I agree the bicyclist should not have contributed to the road rage. But yelling and anger are not valid reasons for assaulting someone. Where the charge landed tells us that. 

When I make a mistake in traffic, I apologize as much as is needed, and it is based on how badly I messed up. 

16 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Not only here, Michael. You allow it and actively support its use in other areas.

Let's stay on topic.  We do allow fallacies, of course, but you should PM me if you have concerns not bring it into a thread.

Specifically, it's human to look at somebody and attribute some aspect of them to why we don't like them, ie. grouping.  The fact is that most people in the city on bikes have cars too so they're not "bike people" they just look that way.

I'm starting to wonder if AI/Deep Learning will find strange ways for us to actually and truly stereotype people.  This could be bad news for us white males though.

I try to be polite on my bike and in my sexy minivan vehicle - black 2001 Ford minivan.  I almost backed into a driver once a few years ago, and the driver came to my window to angrily denounce my skills.  My response was a very stern: "I'm sorry sir, I will try to be more careful in future."  He had no choice but to walk away given my objective accuracy on what had gone down.  My (male, white, middle aged) passenger was gape-mouthed.  "I would NOT have handled that in that way, and the result would have been WAY different."  Less than 1 minute after the incident we were on our way.  Also, I haven't backed or almost-backed into anyone since, knock woodgrain.

Here in Kim City we don't seem to have the same sort of Bike Nazi problem that big cities apparently do.

We have three main groups of cyclists. We have ordinary bike commuters, who generally stick to marked bike lanes and seldom interfere with traffic. 

We have athletes and enthusiasts, either road-bike or mountain bike, who are usually well away from major traffic areas. 

And we have bike hobos who are usually weaving all over the road, riding down sidewalks, cutting across traffic, disobeying traffic rules and common sense, trying to operate their bicycles while they have a giant garbage bag full of cans and bottles in each hand, and so on. They're a menace to everyone, most especially themselves.

23 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I've noticed that many people get very aggressive once they get inside their car. They behave in ways they never would otherwise in public.
- Bad behavior by individuals related to their mode of transport.

I have observed this as well.

We have meek, mildmannered people who turn into Immortan Joe when they get behind the wheel. I think part of it is that people feel powerful when they drive. At work you might be a computer-jockey and at home you might be a couch-potato, but when you're behind the wheel you're a 4000-pound, 250 horsepower super cyborg. RAWR.

As well, driving in some environments can be somewhat stressful, and feel quite competitive. I notice this when I go to Vancouver.  Feeling that you're boxed in on the freeway and can't move into the lane you need to get into. It starts feeling like you're competing with other drivers for the space you need to be in. "There's an open spot... I'd better get there before that jerk does."  

As well we have jackholes who have modified their vehicles to be as obnoxious as possible. If the little 1.3 liter engine in your subcompact car sounds like a propeller-plane taking off when you drive 20km/h, you are a loser.  End of story. Motorcycles are the worst.  People with big diesel pickups that they've modified for extreme noise are an increasingly large problem.   If you want to look like a total jerkwad, here's what you do. Shave your head, get a bunch of tattoos and an MMA t-shirt. Then you go buy a big black pickup truck and get it jacked up. Get a super loud exhaust system installed.  Get a "Metal Mullisha" sticker on your rear window.

But if you really want to be an asshole, become a "coal roller".  These turds have gone the extra mile to make their vehicles obnoxious. Not satisfied with just noise pollution, they have also modified their trucks to create air pollution.  That's right, they can apparently inject extra diesel somewhere into the system, such that their truck can create a giant black cloud of toxic smoke behind them at the press of a button. Often the target of these smoke attacks are pedestrians, cyclists, or Priuses. I got "coal rolled" onced, while riding my bicycle in the bike lane along a busy road. I am sure the drivers felt like real super-heroes.  I remember the truck, and if I see it again I will customize it with some interesting modifications of my own.

-k

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I remember the truck, and if I see it again I will customize it with some interesting modifications of my own.

-k

Here's a neat trick. Pull the aerial down and hold it flat against the window. Hold it tight, a few inches from the end. Then pull the end back as far as it will bend and let it go.  I'm told the effect is very gratifying. 

Edited by bcsapper

I would like to know if the biker was being badly tailgated. I hate when people drive less than a care length behind me, because it drastically increases the chances of me getting hit if I have to break hard. When people do it, Ill spike the breaks a couple of times, and that will usually back them up a bit.

The guy on the bike probably should not have intentionally blocked traffic... That's a traffic violation at least. But any way you look at it, intentionally causing contact between your vehicle and another is never justified, and its a lot more than a misdemeanor traffic violation. The guy should probably spend 90 riding a bicycle himself (while his license is suspended).