Liberals attempt to neuter parliament

The Liberals are proposing, once again,  through unilateral changes to the rules of parliament, to give the government  new and draconion power to limit debate and push through legislation. It would let liberal ministers adjourn the house for any reason, and let the government prorogue parliament for any reason.

I guess this is by way of illustrating that wonderful respect for parliament Trudeau talked so eloquently about prior to the election. I don't believe I've seen Coyne quite so sarcastic in quite some time. 

The latest chance to refresh our acquaintance with how deeply cynical the Trudeau people are — not have become: are — is the clutch of grubby expedients the government is now trying to stuff down the opposition’s throats, in the name, prettily, of “parliamentary reform.” Scholars of the Trudeau style will recognize the expression “reform,” like “merit-based appointments” and “evidence-based policy,” as a tell that some kind of humbug is afoot, and this is no exception: this is no more aimed at genuine reform of parliament than the Harper government’s Fair Elections Act was aimed at making elections fair.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/andrew-coyne-renewed-attempt-to-rewrite-house-rules-shows-liberals-are-not-to-be-trusted

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Argus said:

The Liberals are proposing, once again,  through unilateral changes to the rules of parliament, to give the government  new and draconion power to limit debate and push through legislation. It would let liberal ministers adjourn the house for any reason, and let the government prorogue parliament for any reason.

I guess this is by way of illustrating that wonderful respect for parliament Trudeau talked so eloquently about prior to the election. I don't believe I've seen Coyne quite so sarcastic in quite some time. 

The latest chance to refresh our acquaintance with how deeply cynical the Trudeau people are — not have become: are — is the clutch of grubby expedients the government is now trying to stuff down the opposition’s throats, in the name, prettily, of “parliamentary reform.” Scholars of the Trudeau style will recognize the expression “reform,” like “merit-based appointments” and “evidence-based policy,” as a tell that some kind of humbug is afoot, and this is no exception: this is no more aimed at genuine reform of parliament than the Harper government’s Fair Elections Act was aimed at making elections fair.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/andrew-coyne-renewed-attempt-to-rewrite-house-rules-shows-liberals-are-not-to-be-trusted

Well, we can only blame the people who voted for trudeau and his liberals. It seems that Canadians just never seem to learn from history that liberalism is all about screwing things up, and making life hard for we the people. What have the liberals ever done for Canada or Canadians which was of any benefit for we the people? If someone can tell me please do so because I certainly cannot think of anything. 

1 minute ago, scribblet said:

Just Liberal arrogance for democracy - remember the draconian motion 6  which took away the oppositions ability to delay a Bill.  

This expands on that idea. Trudeau - and I said this before he got elected - showed all the signs of a man who was uninterested in other people's opinions if they disagreed with his. He does not like disagreement or dissent. Not on any issue he considers to be important, anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Argus said:

This expands on that idea. Trudeau - and I said this before he got elected - showed all the signs of a man who was uninterested in other people's opinions if they disagreed with his. He does not like disagreement or dissent. Not on any issue he considers to be important, anyway.

They are about the most duplicitous of gov'ts and it only took 18 months or less for us to find that out. 

57 minutes ago, Argus said:

I think you give him too much credit.  I'm not convinced he has opinions on many things.  His handlers do, of course, and he has become adept at parroting those memes and talking points when instructed.  It is his profession really- he is a professional dramatist and staying in character and costume is well within his skill set.  I doubt he has any interest in mundane shit like the economy.  He really, truly is cut from the same cloth as his father.

10 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Canadians talk incessantly about Trump being a fascist, all the while the Canadian Liberals have moved way more toward fascism than Trump ever will.

Are Canadian Liberals talking about marginalizing racial minorities, are they encouraging pogroms against "others"? Xenophobia has always been a big team sport in the US, and it has infected Canada too.