Why not Michael Chong?

5 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

In 2019 it'll be 13 years since Chong quit Harper's cabinet - which considering Harper's unpopularity in Quebec will probably be a positive - do you really think it'll be an issue? I'd say it'll be as much of an issue as Bernier having been a separatist. 

On one hand, you're saying that Chong quitting cabinet over the "quebecois nation within a unified Canada" motion is inconsequential, then on the other hand you're saying that Harper's unpopularity at the time will be an asset. I don't think it can be both.

57 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

Yes, so many Canadians are breathlessly dreaming if paying taxes more taxes on literally everything over a non proven scientific theory.  

You could never 'prove' the theory any more than you could 'prove' smoking causes cancer.  And as I pointed out the economic response, if any, to climate change isn't the same as recognizing that it's really a thing.

4 hours ago, capricorn said:

On one hand, you're saying that Chong quitting cabinet over the "quebecois nation within a unified Canada" motion is inconsequential, then on the other hand you're saying that Harper's unpopularity at the time will be an asset. I don't think it can be both.

No. I don't think the whole thing will be an issue at all. However, considering how unpopular Harper is in Quebec, if it does get brought up I think a lot of Quebeckers would like the fact that Chong stood up to Harper.

On 3/27/2017 at 3:06 PM, dialamah said:

I see the Conservative party shooting themselves in the foot as they seem headed towards choosing a party leader that will most likely lose them the election in 2019.    I may not want to vote for JT and the Liberals in 2019, but if my other option is someone like O'Leary or even Bernier, what choice will I have?

dialamah, you want to vote Justin Trudeau. And you're a leftist who fundamentally doesn't understand Canada.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

No. I don't think the whole thing will be an issue at all. However, considering how unpopular Harper is in Quebec, if it does get brought up I think a lot of Quebeckers would like the fact that Chong stood up to Harper.

It was quite some time ago, and I don't think Chong was particularly well known at the time, so I doubt whether a lot of Quebecers will know (or care) about Chong standing up to Harper.

5 hours ago, August1991 said:

dialamah, you want to vote Justin Trudeau. And you're a leftist who fundamentally doesn't understand Canada.

Thanks so much for telling me who I am, what I should do and what I don't understand.  Thank you for saving me from thinking outside the ideological box you've decided I belong in.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 11:57 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

I suspect he is too honest for the top job. 

Too honest? Only Michael Chong worthy of being a federal Conservative leader?

Spanky, you're another smug leftist - and in central English Canada, that typically means a clueless Liberal.

====

Canada, what a country!

But is it sustainable?

Edited by August1991
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Too honest? Only Michael Chong worthy of being a federal Conservative leader?

Spanky, you're another smug leftist - and in central English Canada, that typically means a clueless Liberal.

====

Canada, what a country!

But is it sustainable?

I would be grateful if you could explain what you mean there. To me, Chong seems unusually candid on what he would like to see with regard to parliamentary reform e.g. committees etc. 

By any reasonable Canadian standard, I am not a 'leftist', having voted for PC and Liberal candidates over the years. By MLW standards, however.....

Why are only leftists smug? I don't think I have ever accused anybody of being that. Anyway, it's hardly the biggest sin in the world. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

5 hours ago, ironstone said:

Chong supports M103 and carbon taxes.That alone tells me all I need to know about him and his mindset.The Conservatives can do much better than to choose him.

This has been touched on before... hopefully it doesn't derail things...

There is nothing "unconservative" about supporting Carbon taxes as long as the overall tax burden on the country as a whole does not increase.

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/its-a-rocky-tory-leadership-bid-for-pro-carbon-tax-michael-chong/article34087296/

...his campaign will turn on his climate change plan: a huge levy that would reach $130 a tonne by 2030 – balanced by a massive, immediate $18-billion income-tax cut. Mr. Chong argues it is the conservative approach to climate change. It would replace other green regulations, shrinking government. It would be revenue neutral, financing deep income-tax cuts that he argues will stimulate the economy....

Now, I cannot say for sure whether I would vote for a party headed by Chong without seeing the rest of the platform.

On 4/2/2017 at 6:40 PM, Newfoundlander said:

Why?

In 1968, Pierre Berton wrote a book titled "The Smug Minority". You can probably buy it (used paperback, it was never in hard cover) on amazon.ca for 0.01 plus shipping.

To modern ears, some of his arguments may seem dated but to others - Berton is a "progressive". 

It is the word "smug" that has always intrigued me. I reckon that Berton aimed it more at Pearson/Martin than Diefenbaker/Stanfield. 

On 4/2/2017 at 1:20 PM, ironstone said:

Chong supports M103 and carbon taxes.That alone tells me all I need to know about him and his mindset.The Conservatives can do much better than to choose him.

Another that would govern with his emotions.