Justin Trudeau: Madonna or Spice Girl?

Is Justin Trudeau here to stay?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We all know about the "one hit wonders". But then, we also know about the stars who somehow re-invent themselves. And then, there are the few stars who somehow seem to learn from their mistakes: "no more philosopher king", for example.

The federal Liberal apparatchiks certainly see Justin Trudeau as a rock star: better on the road than in the studio.

Can he survive? Re-invent himself?

Or, does he have something original to say?

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I am wondering if his pragmatic moves on the economy and voting reform are going to help him with middle-of-the-road voters even as he sheds all the lefty ones who supported him to get out Harper.

Shedding? I would think the lefties are thrilled with him.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

That is a big no.  Both of the issues I outlined have caused strategic left voters to flee the Liberals.

I see. Strategic left is not all the ones, of course. Most of what we hear from the media is about things like the anti-Islamophobia motion. That's what sells, I guess. Emotional stuff. Seems that Mr. Trudeau has his own PR campaign well under control, just like another country's leader.

14 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

That is a big no.  Both of the issues I outlined have caused strategic left voters to flee the Liberals.

I'm interested in seeing sources for this.

"Research Your Post

If you are stating a fact, be prepared to back it up with some official sources (website links etc)."

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Seems that Mr. Trudeau has his own PR campaign well under control, just like another country's leader.

This is the classic Liberal playbook: play the middle until voters catch on, or cynicism seeps in, or cronyism and scandal overtakes the party, then get another face in there quick enough to win the next election.  

It doesn't work all the time, just for 2 or 3 or 4 majority governments at a time.

8 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

This is the classic Liberal playbook: play the middle until voters catch on, or cynicism seeps in, or cronyism and scandal overtakes the party, then get another face in there quick enough to win the next election.  

It doesn't work all the time, just for 2 or 3 or 4 majority governments at a time.

This is classic political party playbook anywhere and everywhere in the world. 

Edited by hot enough

4 minutes ago, hot enough said:

I'm interested in seeing sources for this. 

Sure, I'll admit that I don't have the strongest evidence.  My opinion is based on Trudeau supporter comments in my personal newsfeed and conventional media coverage such as this:

The poll comes as Trudeau and his ministers have endured a barrage inside and outside the Commons over tone and substance on a range of questions including its approval of two major oil pipelines and how it would handle protests, its dismissal of a parliamentary report urging electoral reform,

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/12/10/support-for-federal-liberals-plummets-new-poll-shows.html

I have a good number of NDP supporters in my own feed who voted against Harper, by picking Trudeau.  Voting Reform was a particular pet issue of theirs.  They have turned on him.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Probably not, and it seems to me that the votes are going to the Conservatives not the NDP which subverts my theory.

Depends on who gets the leadership, I think.  I have a preferred Conservative leadership candidate who I'd be willing to vote for against JT, but I doubt he'll win.  However, I am thinking about joining the Conservative party just so I can give him my vote.   If one of the more extreme candidates gets the leadership, I'll stick with JT in the next election.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Depends on who gets the leadership, I think.  I have a preferred Conservative leadership candidate who I'd be willing to vote for against JT, but I doubt he'll win.  However, I am thinking about joining the Conservative party just so I can give him my vote.   If one of the more extreme candidates gets the leadership, I'll stick with JT in the next election.    

Who isn't extreme?

The threats to Trudeaus longevity are not policies or actions.  The threats to him are perceptions of the centrist voters who left the Cons and NDP -and the other threat is himself..

Trudeaus ran a masterful campaign in social media, more accuratey his team did a great job.  Now his challenge is to sustain his youthful appearance, convince people again that promises mean something, continue to come up with catchy new memes to repeat in all circumstances, diminish via social media whomever the Cons and NDP elect as leaders, and above all stay on script.  All of those things are doable.

One of the biggest threats for Trudeau is of course himself.  Prior to 2015, far too often he came across as a semi-moron when he went off script.  His excellent handlers reminded him of his true calling as a dramatist.  Since then he stays in costume(rolled up sleeves, a hint of chest showing) and stays in character in public and in Commons.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, PIK said:

Trudeau who?? That is now the question since Marcon entered. Poor justin will not like being forgotten by his adoring fans.

Marcon? Macron? Aucune connection avec Trudeau.

====

But thanks for resurrecting this thread.

I suspect that his background guys (the Ontario Liberals) see him as a Spice Girl. They're wrong. I reckon now that Trudeau Jnr is a Madonna.

(Note: Madonna picked her composer/lyricist.)

Edited by August1991

I think that only retards that are obsessed with identity politics care much about this.

From my perspective hes just another politician. They are half full of shit, and none of them tell the truth all the time. But in the real world, his policies are kinda meat and potatoes. Hes tweaking taxes but only a bit... he might end criminalization of pot, which would be the most useful thing any Canadian government has done in my life time. His foreign policy positions are pretty much wishy washy neutral.  The fear mongering by far right retards just makes them look silly (worst pm ever, etc). Hes just another political deushe-bag in Ottawa not much different from the last half dozen of them.

The reality is pretty simple.... No matter who was the liberal governments PM, and no matter what their policies were... far right retards would be telling you the end of civilization is apon us. Our entire civilization is under threat!  Even if the PM perfectly mirrored their policies they would still do it, because they are the political equivalent of sports fans. Everything the  other side does is wrong no matter what.

In reality though Justin is just a typical politician and self promoter and liar. Hes not doing anything crazy. This is the same kind of thing I have said about Harper in the past. He didn't do anything totally nuts, and more or less ran a functional administration... trains kept running, etc.

Some people are obsessed with the government taking their side of the retarded left vs right culture war. But really, the government has an administrative position. Bland, and boring. Just be functional, and not do anything really stupid.

Edited by dre

2 minutes ago, dre said:

I think that only retards that are obsessed with identity politics care much about this.

From my perspective hes just another politician. They are half full of shit, and none of them tell the truth all the time. But in the real world, his policies are kinda meat and potatoes. Hes tweaking taxes but only a bit... he might end criminalization of pot, which would be the most useful thing any Canadian government has done in my life time. His foreign policy positions are pretty much wishy washy neutral.  The fear mongering by far right retards just makes them look silly (worst pm ever, etc). Hes just another political deushe-bag in Ottawa not much different from the last half dozen of them.

How dare you speak sedition of The Dauphin! Guards!