Girl Guides of Canada cancel trips to the USA.

taxme

Just now, dialamah said:

Not the point; your claim that they are paranoid if they decide not to chance it because they may have kids or chaperones from the banned countries is delusional, a result of your blind adherence to a stupid president and his piss poor policy implementation.

I don't give a flying F what Obama did; its irrelevant to whats happening today.

They should conduct border business as usual, knowing full well they could have been turned back for any/no reason....even before Trump.

1 minute ago, Wilber said:

Doublespeak. Their country is banned but its team isn't. 

The operative phrase could well be "used to get", but again, that will be your problem.

????   Country includes teams.

Canada never got as many hosting gigs.....welcoming arms or not.   Maybe it will get more now.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Girl Guides organization has no problem discriminating against males.....what a backward, ignorant organization !

I too wanted to get into the Guide hut when I was 17.

---

On a serious note, yes this is discrimination and should be criticized. Thomas appears to want to join the Guiding program because the activities appeal to him. Now there are some practical considerations, just like when girls joined Scouting groups. First is there should be male leaders as well, just like it was important to have female leaders in scout groups to accommodate girls wanting to join. This group says it was for 14-26 year olds so we wouldn't need the same ratio as younger groups. The other side of to consider is how males would change the group, that was in some cases a problem with girls joining scouts in that they didn't want to do the same activities.

Nice attempt at deflect and distract, Bush_Cheney, but if you want to discuss Girl Guides and gender please start a new thread. 

You said earlier that no Girl Guides have been turned back yet, and that they should just try their luck. That makes me wonder if you think the travel ban will be overturned (again), or if you think the border guards will just disregard it. Either way, it seems like you have less faith in this ban than Trump does. I guess the other option is that you're the kind of cold hearted creep that enjoys seeing little girls cry. 

5 hours ago, Melanie_ said:

Nice attempt at deflect and distract, Bush_Cheney, but if you want to discuss Girl Guides and gender please start a new thread.

Thank you...this is how the shaming game is played today.   Girl Guides seem to have dirt on their shirts blouses....as in discrimination.

You said earlier that no Girl Guides have been turned back yet, and that they should just try their luck. That makes me wonder if you think the travel ban will be overturned (again), or if you think the border guards will just disregard it. Either way, it seems like you have less faith in this ban than Trump does. I guess the other option is that you're the kind of cold hearted creep that enjoys seeing little girls cry. 

No, another member posted that...nice try.   I merely stated that no girl guides had been turned away yet, so the "paranoia" was theirs (or it is a political stunt for brownie points in Canada).

Nothing special about little girls trying to cross an international border illegally....happens every day.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

10 hours ago, Melanie_ said:

Yes, anyone can be denied at any time. This wasn't about whether or not someone might be denied, though, it was about the absolute certainty that they would be denied, because they would be travelling on passports issued by countries under the travel ban. Since they know in advance that there will be people not allowed to cross the border, they are making other plans. Simple enough?

Completely false!

What exactly is “completely false,” Hal? I’ll break it down so it is easier to point out the false statement.

1. The USA has a travel ban that prohibits people travelling with passports from Yemen, Somalia, Libya, Syria, Iran, or Sudan from entering the country.

2. GGC (Girl Guides of Canada) have members, leaders, and volunteers who are citizens of the banned countries and would be travelling with those passports.

3. GGC have stated that they value inclusion, which means that any member should have equal opportunity to participate in Girl Guides activities.

4. When planning an international trip, GGC complies with the laws of the potential host country, and therefore would not attempt to have members, leaders, or volunteers enter a country illegally.

5. To comply with the travel ban, GGC has cancelled trips to the USA and is not planning any new trips there while the travel ban is in effect.

6. Historically, GGC has travelled very frequently to the USA. They decided that this was a significant enough departure from their usual practice that it warranted an announcement on their webpage.

It’s amazing to me that so many people are up in arms about the GGC respecting American law!

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Girl Guides do not respect inclusion, as they officially discriminate against male and transgender persons. 

Based on what, a single example from Britain 5-6 years ago? What does that have to do with Girl Guide of Canada today? What does that have to do with this OP at all?

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

Based on what, a single example from Britain 5-6 years ago? What does that have to do with Girl Guide of Canada today? What does that have to do with this OP at all?

It is directly related to GG claim of inclusivity...one example in the UK represents the organization.

GG discriminates.....against transgender males too....fact.

Edited by bush_cheney2004