Girl Guides of Canada cancel trips to the USA.

taxme

11 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Absolutely, but the point of travel is not only about places it is about people as well. 

Lots of interesting people in Canada too, right ?   Or will only Disney or Universal theme parks make the girls happy ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Great - let's put the Girl Guides on the enemies list everyone.

Also the guy who said "all Mexicans are rapists" [Trump rhetorical style license] was happy when it whipped his base into voting but now somehow the "mean" tag is now unfair ?

Please.    

Good FKN grief!  See everybody - see how easy it is sell the victim angle - to seemingly reasonably intelligent people.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Great - let's put the Girl Guides on the enemies list everyone.

Also the guy who said "all Mexicans are rapists" [Trump rhetorical style license] was happy when it whipped his base into voting but now somehow the "mean" tag is now unfair ?

Please.    

"When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you....they’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

---President Trump

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

"When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you....they’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

---President Trump

Like countries handpick who will cross a border, legally or illegally.   

28 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

---President Trump

Thanks for the cite.

56 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

see how easy it is sell the victim angle...

Yes, you sold Trump as the victim of mean media.  A lot of people buy that stuff, but we'll soon see how far people are willing to subvert their own interests just because:

-they don't like Democrats

-they're angry

-they're stubborn

Now, the bar has been set even further: to defend Trump unreservedly as of yesterday, you have to see Girl Guides as a hostile political organization.

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, you sold Trump as the victim of mean media.  A lot of people buy that stuff, but we'll soon see how far people are willing to subvert their own interests just because:

-they don't like Democrats

-they're angry

-they're stubborn

Now, the bar has been set even further: to defend Trump unreservedly as of yesterday, you have to see Girl Guides as a hostile political organization.

I haven't made Trump the victim, I've stated that the Girl Guide media rep is taking a political stance - which she clearly is.  Look at her history and her experience, she's a professional and knows exactly what angle she's taking.  

Do you disagree that making a press statement against Trump is a political statement.

Seriously dude, your posts are looking more like Bubbers and Impact's every day - pull yourself together, you're a mod, not a troll. 

• Like 3

They had to cancel trips because kids wouldn't be able to cross the border due to their official citizenship. Therefore they needed to make a statement on their website about why the trips were being cancelled. This isn't a political statement about Trump, it is simply responding to a situation beyond their control, making the best of the situation. 

1 hour ago, Melanie_ said:

They had to cancel trips because kids wouldn't be able to cross the border due to their official citizenship. Therefore they needed to make a statement on their website about why the trips were being cancelled. This isn't a political statement about Trump, it is simply responding to a situation beyond their control, making the best of the situation. 

Since when do the Girl Guides need a communications and marketing manager to go the the press and announce that they wouldn't be vacationing in the USA?  Did they also announce that they wouldn't be travelling to the Netherlands?  Somehow, I doubt it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

Since when do the Girl Guides need a communications and marketing manager to go the the press and announce that they wouldn't be vacationing in the USA?  Did they also announce that they wouldn't be travelling to the Netherlands?  Somehow, I doubt it. 

Did they cancel planned trips to the Netherlands due to concerns of being turned back at the border?

5 hours ago, ?Impact said:

The next time a Brownie comes knocking at my door selling those Gawd-awful mint cookies, instead of smiling an buying a box of them anyway I will give her a piece of my mind.

I just give them money and tell them to keep the cookies. They really have gone down the nick. 

You clearly miss the point. They had several trips to the States already planned. I personally know of trips that were in the works to Washington and to California. When they realized that there were members, leaders, and volunteers who would be travelling with passports from the 6 countries restricted by the travel ban they cancelled the trips and are making alternate plans. They made a statement on their website to that effect, citing the Girl Guides belief in inclusion, which means that everyone in the group would get equal opportunities. 

You seem to think this is a political statement, but I think it is simply pragmatism. The situation wasn't going to work so they changed their plans. And to answer your question, if they had been planning several trips to the Netherlands and cancelled all of them for a very specific reason, yes I do think there would have been an announcement. 

I can see the same thing happening with sports teams. My grandkids school and club teams have kids of just about every ethnicity.  We just came back from watching our oldest grand daughter play for the BC Elite U16 girls at the Las Vegas Sevens Tournament a couple of weeks ago. I wonder how many of the Canadian and Australian club and school teams will show up next year if this becomes a big problem for them.

Edited by Wilber

2 hours ago, Wilber said:

... I wonder how many of the Canadian and Australian club and school teams will show up next year if this becomes a big problem for them.

If traveling with a legal passport and visa becomes a big problem for them, then perhaps they should seek tournaments elsewhere.

U.S. border agents deny entry for many each day, for many reasons.   Thousands more just overstay their visas in the U.S.

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If traveling with a legal passport and visa becomes a big problem for them, then perhaps they should seek tournaments elsewhere.

Which is the entire point of what the Girl Guides are doing. They don't want to get stuck in that situation cause by the travel ban. It was a practical and correct decision to make.

29 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Which is the entire point of what the Girl Guides are doing. They don't want to get stuck in that situation cause by the travel ban. It was a practical and correct decision to make.

Sure was....anybody can be denied entry at the U.S. border for any or no reason at all.  This was true long before President Trump came along.

Girl Guides leadership should have been prepared for this long ago.

Yes, anyone can be denied at any time. This wasn't about whether or not someone might be denied, though, it was about the absolute certainty that they would be denied, because they would be travelling on passports issued by countries under the travel ban. Since they know in advance that there will be people not allowed to cross the border, they are making other plans. Simple enough?

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

U.S. border agents deny entry for many each day, for many reasons.   Thousands more just overstay their visas in the U.S.

They do. School rugby 15's touring during Spring Break is a tradition around here. Our son did two UK tours when he was in high school and last year our oldest grandson went to New Zealand with his school team.

The Las Vegas Invitational Sevens is the largest rugby tournament in North America and maybe the world, with club and college teams from around the world. Maybe not any more.