Road Rage

betsy

What's up with road rage lately?  The latest in Canada was that of a woman who honked at another car, the other car followed her to her driveway and attacked her with a crow bar!  She ended up with two broken arms!   The violence is getting common.

Why are there such violent rages?  

Edited by betsy

40 minutes ago, betsy said:

What's up with road rage lately?  The latest in Canada was that of a woman who honked at another car, the other car followed her to her driveway and attacked her with a crow bar!  She ended up with two broken arms!   The violence is getting common.

Why are there such violent rages?  

Do you have stats on how common the violence is and if it happens more now?

Could it be that it's just reported on more often?

8 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Do you have stats on how common the violence is and if it happens more now?

Could it be that it's just reported on more often?

Not too long ago, another woman was beaten up by two guys. That was also in Canada.  

Calgary woman beaten with hockey stick in vicious road rage attack by two men

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/calgary-woman-beaten-with-hockey-stick-by-two-men-in-vicious-road-rage-attack

Road rage is getting uglier, angrier and a lot more deadly

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/02/18/road-rage-is-getting-uglier-angrier-and-a-lot-more-deadly/?utm_term=.04ea6875b7f1

I own the road around my vehicle and he next 100 metres in front of it, or that empty parking space I spotted from two aisles over. Get on my property and you are trespassing and I will exercise my second amendment rights.

There is no such thing as "road rage", that is just some modern PC term. Now get off my lawn.

Road rage ....Is on the rise , by leaps and bounds, nearly 80% of all Canadian drivers surveyed admit to road rage in one form or another, including one driver pepper spraying a 2 year old in a car....come on...a 2 year old....anger management classes anyone....or maybe all Canadian drivers....

http://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/insurance/nearly-80-of-canadians-admit-to-road-rage-behaviour-survey-1001833674/

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/why-is-road-rage-anger-getting-worse-experts-say

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/road-rage-why-are-we-seeing-so-much-of-it-1.3028733

• Like 1

It is strange and disturbing what happens to people when they are given cars.  I am completely against the driverless kind, but if it will stop mindless idiots from letting their adrenaline get the better of them, then I'm all in favour of making everyone else use one.

I would suspect that road rage could be rising because roads are getting ever more crowded. Populations are increasing but road capacity has largely stayed the same for decades since so many cities are run by councils that believe in "road diets" and using congestion to reduce SOV trips so they can pad their transit use numbers. 

Maybe it should be mandatory to have cameras installed in all cars, capture this non sense on tape and have the laws changed to have driver license suspended for a time period....or for life....I get it that i have called some drivers a few words that are not so nice, most of the time under my breath as i haul my grand children around now....but to follow some one home, pepper spray a 2 year old, now you've crossed the line, and should not be driving period.....in fact you should be locked up... 

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Maybe it should be mandatory to have cameras installed in all cars, capture this non sense on tape and have the laws changed to have driver license suspended for a time period....or for life....I get it that i have called some drivers a few words that are not so nice, most of the time under my breath as i haul my grand children around now....but to follow some one home, pepper spray a 2 year old, now you've crossed the line, and should not be driving period.....in fact you should be locked up... 

Certainly people that commit criminal acts should be locked up. But mandating cameras in all cars? Nah, we need less surveillance state, not more. 

What would really help though is to start upgrading infrastructure which has been neglected for decades so that traffic is less horrible, reducing the incidence of road rage to begin with. Reduced traffic would also be a massive economic boon (people that spend less time sitting in traffic have more time to spend on other more productive activities), as well as an environmental boon as hundreds of millions of vehicles stop spending hours every day idling. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bonam said:

Certainly people that commit criminal acts should be locked up. But mandating cameras in all cars? Nah, we need less surveillance state, not more.

I hear you....but it can be a deterrent.  

This guy who did that crow bar attack, is still at large as of yesterday.  They were asking the public to help.    If they're getting away with it.......what's stopping them?  Just having the license plate would be a big help.

6 hours ago, betsy said:

I hear you....but it can be a deterrent.  

This guy who did that crow bar attack, is still at large as of yesterday.  They were asking the public to help.    If they're getting away with it.......what's stopping them?  Just having the license plate would be a big help.

They didn't have the license plate number on film, only the first letter of it.  They now apparently have found the car, but not the driver.

Whoever did this should be charged with attempted murder, the reason this poor womans head wasn't bashed in was she used her(now broken) arms to fend off the blows.

11 minutes ago, overthere said:

Whoever did this should be charged with attempted murder

I don't disagree, but it will most likely be aggravated assault. 268 (1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.

Yes, it is a maximum of 14 years instead of life but the actual sentence would probably be the same anyway. The minimums for attempted murder are associated with gang crimes and firearms use.

Edited by ?Impact

15 hours ago, Bonam said:

Here's an idea. Install a make believe camera in your vehicle. I believe some homeowners do this. Would perps know the difference?

Edit: they're called fake or dummy cameras and most major retail outlets sell them.

Edited by capricorn

21 hours ago, Bonam said:

What would really help though is to start upgrading infrastructure which has been neglected for decades so that traffic is less horrible, reducing the incidence of road rage to begin with. Reduced traffic would also be a massive economic boon (people that spend less time sitting in traffic have more time to spend on other more productive activities), as well as an environmental boon as hundreds of millions of vehicles stop spending hours every day idling. 

Yes, it would be nice to have a government that would spend the bils we need to repair our infra structure.....and even though ours is not in good shape that is not an excuse to go rambo on fellow drivers, and for a man to attack a women and break both her arms, or spray a 2 year old with pepper spray is cowardly.....as in there is no excuse that could ever explain these attacks....Last time i checked your drivers license is a privilege not a right ..... 

Dash cams on every veh would hold everyone responsible for their own actions.....or at least record the crime and provide police the evidence to convict....which is what we want right to take these wingnuts off the roads....i don't mind the loss of a small bit of my freedoms, to ensure our streets were safer...

22 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Dash cams on every veh would hold everyone responsible for their own actions.....or at least record the crime and provide police the evidence to convict....which is what we want right to take these wingnuts off the roads....i don't mind the loss of a small bit of my freedoms, to ensure our streets were safer...

Surveillance cameras in every room in every home would hold everyone responsible for their own actions... or at least record the crime and provide police the evidence to convict... which is what we want to get rid of domestic violence... I don't mind the loss of a small bit of my freedoms, to ensure our homes were safer... 

13 hours ago, Bonam said:

Surveillance cameras in every room in every home would hold everyone responsible for their own actions... or at least record the crime and provide police the evidence to convict... which is what we want to get rid of domestic violence... I don't mind the loss of a small bit of my freedoms, to ensure our homes were safer... 

Well, having cameras in your home is different.

Public places like our highways - are now getting really dangerous, and we don't have enough cops to patrol them.  Did you see what the news showed today about those bikers?

Man attacked by biker gang on SF highway IDd as an Uber driver

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Video-Bike-gang-beats-driver-in-middle-of-SF-10989429.php

Edited by betsy

13 hours ago, Bonam said:

You have no right to expect privacy when using public roads. If people want to take pictures of your actions, there is nothing to stop them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

You have no right to expect privacy when using public roads. If people want to take pictures of your actions, there is nothing to stop them.

Agreed. Conversely, you can take pictures of other people's actions, especially when interacting with police officers.

16 hours ago, Bonam said:

Nice, deflection...Not sure why your afraid of surveillance, it is every where in our lives, every where public, the bank machines, the mall , the food stores, hiways,schools , government buildings every where...why not cars, surveillance works both ways for you and again'st you. unless of course your one of those road warriors , that need to be watched