Warning points.....what do they mean...

Army Guy

I'm asking this question  because it is not in the guide lines to the forum, and  i have asked 2 out 3 mods and the explanation given does not make any sense ""This is what the mods have told me so far......I was told they "warnings" don't mean crap, they will not be used again'st you later for any reason by one mod,and  the other did not say anything constructive at all.....

So if they don't mean anything....why have them , why place a numerical value on them, why make them permanent, why have them glaring up at you in your profile page...as if to warn you on a daily basis that hey your one bad dude.....and should tread lightly ..... 

Does anyone know, or is this topic off limits for some reason.....anyone else having warning point issues, i'd like to hear about them.....

• Like 1

How did you get any warning points? Despite being wrong much of the time, you are generally civil about it. 

b.t.w. I don't have any great insight into the hallowed halls of the moderators and their venerable system of warning points, suspensions, public chastisements, and silent post editing, hiding, and deleting. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

How did you get any warning points? Despite being wrong much of the time, you are generally civil about it.

Wrong??  That's gotta be worth one!  Charles!! Michael!!

Edit>  Or maybe you were talking to Army Guy, not me.  If so, never mind...

Edited by bcsapper

Seriously though, you can get them for posting pictures without a good explanation in the text as to why you posted it.  I'm always assuming people don't need that prod, but I don't think the mods spend a lot of time trying to "get" what one means. 

i generally get them whenever a mod thinks something I've posted has violated some aspect of he rules. i have 49. so PIK isn't all that conservative, I guess. Maybe I qualify as deplorable.

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

i generally get them whenever a mod thinks something I've posted has violated some aspect of he rules. i have 49. so PIK isn't all that conservative, I guess. Maybe I qualify as deplorable.

Downright ******* dangerous, if you ask me...

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

Warning points like status updates and the new up or down vote for a post are all just f'n retarded. They don't mean anything and don't contribute anything.

Agreed on the points and the votes.  I like staus updates, for throwaway comments that don't merit a thread.

16 hours ago, Argus said:

I have ten, and I thought I was bad. :D

I like em. I think they should be given out even if they are not actually a penalty and the end of the day.  I like pondering why I received the warning. What is it I did? Could I have done something else? Was it necessary I say the thing in the manner I said it?  Criticism is not always a bad thing to be avoided. 

and further: They supposedly have certain debating standards that they have asked members to try, at least, to conform to. They are the Moderators who, I suspect, have agreed that the standards that members agreed too when joining this site, should be adhered to and encouraged. For the sake of our vocabularies (in my case) or to learn how to write concisely and effectively.  The Mods should have a means of letting members know when they step away from the few rules they agreed to, through suspensions or warning points. Personally, I believe warning points should have some sort of actual point beyond mere advice. But hey, it's somebody else's site not mine.

Edited by Peter F

19 hours ago, Argus said:

But I have only 5800 posts compared to your 38,000. lol

4 hours ago, PIK said:

But I have only 5800 posts compared to your 38,000. lol

That is true, however, three quarters of mine have come in the last couple of years. In fact, I believe 'warning points' are a relatively recent uhm, innovation. Greg was not giving them to me back in 2004 when he was sending me PMs telling me I was being bad.

Edited by Argus

On 2/26/2017 at 8:53 AM, Charles Anthony said:

The warning points mean nothing. Ignore them. 

Well, if they mean nothing , and as you have told me before and they can not be used again'st a member in the future for any reason  .....THEN WHY HAVE THEM ??????do Mods get gift certificates for how many the give out, I elect to opt out of this silly warning point game.