POLL: Should Justin Trudeau Keep His Word?

betsy

Should Trudeau Keep His Word  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Justin Trudeau had issued an open invitation to the world:

Justin TrudeauVerified account@JustinTrudeau

To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength \

#WelcomeToCanada

Europe isn't so attractive, and now....USA seems out of the question.  Trudeau's tweet had officially made us......the Promised Land.

Not only are we seeing those who are illegally in (or those who don't want to take any chances of being denied asylum and deported) from the USA.....but millions will be trekking out from all over the world, willing to face all dangers on their travel to the Promised Land.

MILLIONS.....from all over the world.  You bet it'll be an exodus. Facing persecutions of all kinds.  From persecuted LGBT, to persecuted women, to people who feel they're being persecuted financially and economically, to anyone fleeing terrors of all kinds. 

Many will die along the way........... braving this journey of hope to Canada. 

Should Trudeau keep his word and open the gate to everyone who comes knocking?

Edited by betsy

7 minutes ago, Topaz said:

Canada can't  support all those who want in and no country can. Wouldn't be better for the UN members to try and fix what is wrong within those countries first?

UN?  They want Canada to pick up the slack now that USA is off the grid!

These people are responding to Trudeau's invitation.  And I've no doubt that Trudeau is only too willing, as long as he keeps hearing the praises of Europe being heaped on him.  Europe knows that too, so they'll really play him up. :lol:  Anything just to get him keep taking in migrants that they want to rid of in Europe!  Sweden already compliments the private sponsorship program, and gee if Canada can please help them set up theirs too.

I suppose that everyone knows Trudeau can't possibly honor his invitation and accept everyone that lands on our doorstep.....so, it's going to be an amazing race to get to Canada before Canadians start waking up and realize the stupidity of their PM (and start booting him out of office). 

That should be the next season's AMAZING RACE!   The race to Canada.  From all corners of the world.

Edited by betsy

But think about those poor people who rely on Trudeau's tweet.  Now they have a choice:  either try to survive in their own country, or they brave the hazardous journey to the Promised Land.  

If these people, leave their countries, if ever they get deported back to it - almost certainly a lot of them will be executed.  So, the choice from the start is hard to make:  should I leave, or not?

That reckless, grandstanding stupid tweet by Trudeau had made it a beacon of hope that will encourage so many to take that leap, relying on that open invitation to everyone! 

On one hand we know he can't possibly take in everyone......but on the other, he issued that invitation, and made them want to come here!  If they know they're welcome here, all they have to do is manage to get out of their country, and make it to Canada.

How can you turn them away at the gate after you've urged the desperate to come here?

Edited by betsy

Something more to think about....

Would Canada have to answer to international court when we start turning people away? 

Would we be liable if we get sued by those who relied on a false promise by Trudeau? 

Would we have to compensate for every lives lost along the way, and every one who was turned away for responding to Trudeau's invitation and  coming to Canada?   All those dangerous journey, all for naught?

Edited by betsy

Don't forget.  Trudeau's invitation didn't leave any caveat. 

Justin TrudeauVerified account@JustinTrudeau

To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength \

#WelcomeToCanada

It's open to all fleeing persecution, war and terror! 

He didn't say they all have to go through some screening and vetting!  He didn't say criminals need not come.

Edited by betsy

46 minutes ago, betsy said:

Don't forget.  Trudeau's invitation didn't leave any caveat.

He didn't say they all have to go through some screening and vetting!  He didn't say criminals need not come.

It was a tweet, not an international protocol. It was clarifying that Canada doesn't discriminate based on faith, something you seem to miss in your description. While you are out playing amateur lawyer, I suggest you parse 'welcome'.

3 hours ago, betsy said:

Don't you think that your first sentence would be an accepted definition of 'refugee'. 

I personally don't think that there is any person who would ever think that there would be no screening and vetting.

2 hours ago, ?Impact said:

It was a tweet, not an international protocol. It was clarifying that Canada doesn't discriminate based on faith, something you seem to miss in your description. While you are out playing amateur lawyer, I suggest you parse 'welcome'.

Nevertheless, it was an invitation from the Prime Minister of Canada.  To whom do you think he was tweeting?

20 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Don't you think that your first sentence would be an accepted definition of 'refugee'. 

I personally don't think that there is any person who would ever think that there would be no screening and vetting.

It doesn't matter what I think.  It's what other people outside of Canada - especially desperate people - think about it.

Even before the refugee crisis, people from all over the world want to come to Canada - what more now?

His tweet offered no caveat.  It's an open invitation.  If he were a business, he'd get snagged for false advertising if he doesn't deliver.

Edited by betsy

2 hours ago, ?Impact said:

The statement is clear. 

If for example there is a family who decided to sneak out of a country - paying unscrupulous human smugglers their life savings to get them to Canada - and along the way their children drowned when their boat capsized.  When they reached Canada, they failed the screening and vetting - we can't verify anything about them.  What are the chances that we won't be held liable?

What if we've met our limit, and we couldn't possibly take any more?

Let me bring up these questions again:

Something more to think about....

Would Canada have to answer to international court when we start turning people away? 

Would we be liable if we get sued by those who relied on a false promise by Trudeau? 

Would we have to compensate for every lives lost along the way, and every one who was turned away for responding to Trudeau's invitation and  coming to Canada?   All those dangerous journey, all for naught?

1 minute ago, hot enough said:

I think it does. That is the definition of refugee. Perhaps it was a jab at Trump, the US. But he only reiterated what has long been a Canadian tradition. And, we must remember how long it has figured in the American narrative. 

He was grandstanding! 

It was still a reckless statement to tweet.  His tweet is.....misleading.  

It's been re-tweeted so many times.  Here's how it's been publicized:

Trump halts refugee program; Trudeau tweets they're welcome in Canada

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/justin-trudeau-refugees-welcome-trnd/

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Responds to Donald Trump's Refugee and Muslim Ban: 'Canadians Will Welcome You'

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/canadian-pm-justin-trudeau-responds-to-trumps-muslim-ban-w463585

Trudeau says Canada will take refugees banned by U.S.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/trudeau-canada-refugees-banned-u-s/

Canada PM tweets welcome to refugees as Trump puts hold on arrivals

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-trudeau-idUSKBN15C0U8

2 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Then it has reached the point where politicians have to speak up, in an honest, fair but forthright fashion and ask why all the countries of the world have to solve all the refugee problems caused by the US. 

Why is it a problem caused by the USA? 

We may be used by now to deferring obediently to orders issued by UN........but it's really none of our business how a country decides to conduct their immigration/refugee program.

Edited by betsy

3 minutes ago, betsy said:

Why is it a problem caused by the USA? 

We may be used by now to deferring obediently to orders issued by UN........but it's really none of our business how a country decides to conduct their immigration/refugee program.

If you look at where the vast majority of refugees are coming from and compare that to the countries the US has invaded, committed terrorist acts against, it's rather easy to see the connection.

3 minutes ago, hot enough said:

If you look at where the vast majority of refugees are coming from and compare that to the countries the US has invaded, committed terrorist acts against, it's rather easy to see the connection.

Never mind bringing up invasion of the USA.  Although what you're saying supports Trump's position that indeed, the USA has to be very wary of all people coming from such places.  In other words, you're saying his action is justified.  But all that's irrelevant here. Let's deal with the immigration/refugee issues as explained in the OP.

If you want to talk about USA's invasions - kindly create your own thread for it.

Edited by betsy

44 minutes ago, hot enough said:

As I understand it, a refugee is someone fleeing persecution, generally because they are a member of a specific ethnic or political group being targeted by the government, or an individual who is targeted for peacefully protesting against the government. Lately, though, it seems to apply anyone who is from a part of the world where there is chaos and violence. Thus all twenty two million Syrians and all thirty million Iraqis qualify, along with, of course, all Afghanis, Somalians, Sudanese, etc.

It is simply not possible nor desirable for us to accommodate this many people. So we should not simply have an open door policy to anyone who shows up from violent places.

3 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Or you can say they're coming from Muslim countries which have always been awash in violence and dictatorship and bloodshed, and which have been growing worse over the past couple of decades even as western dependence on their oil lessens. I believe this is because of the growing influence of extremist elements of Islam which are based on the Saudi Wahabi school, a school of Islam the Saudis have spent tens of billions of dollars propagating through the region.

Islam is not a religion of peace but violent and mass killings. If the US wishes to be friendly to Saudis but refusing to take refugees from other countries like Syria or Iraq, etc that is a choice made on what serves the US best.

US has the guts to do it alone. Canada can't.

Edited by Goh Shenas
  • Downvote 1

I agree with Trudeau that Diversity is our strength but at the same time I don't agree that every one who walks to our border illegally or claim refugee status should be welcomed. We have to be SELECTIVE on who we are welcoming. As Argus said it very well some time ago, immigration is supposed to serve Canada and benefit Canadians NOT the other way round. We are bringing all these Somalians, Syrians Sudanese, Africans, middle easterners with totally unadoptable culture and load our sick health system and burden more our tax system and our own people are many living below poverty and many homeless and sick waiting for care. What is this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I agree with Trudeau that Diversity is our strength but at the same time I don't agree that every one who walks to our border illegally or claim refugee status should be welcomed. We have to be SELECTIVE on who we are welcoming. As Argus said it very well some time ago, immigration is supposed to serve Canada and benefit Canadians NOT the other way round. We are bringing all these Somalians, Syrians Sudanese, Africans, middle easterners with totally unadoptable culture and load our sick health system and burden more our tax system and our own people are many living below poverty and many homeless and sick waiting for care. What is this?

It's hard to be selective when he issued an open invitation for all!  All requirement is that they be fleeing from persecution, terror and war.

Gee, if I'm a fugitive for raping and killing young children, and I know I'm gonna get beheaded for it - I'd be fleeing in terror! :lol:

If I'm being persecuted for my sexual orientation - for loving children -  I'm fleeing persecution!

Let's face it.  Trudeau was grandstanding, and he sent a reckless, stupid tweet.  Unfortunately, it has  serious consequences.

Edited by betsy