President Trump's job harder than PM Trudeau's

11 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

What are you even talking about at this point?  I'm not even sure you know.  This is gobbledygook running off the rails.   

Another member invoked Churchill...take it up with him.

Trump's job is harder that Trudeau's...for lots of reasons.

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Another member invoked Churchill...take it up with him.

Trump's job is harder that Trudeau's...for lots of reasons.

No way.  Trump is a bigly man with the incredible ideas.  He's got the best ideas.  They're great. 

He also has the most resources behind him - the best resources, and the greatest team in the whole world helping him.  His team is great.  They're wonderful people and they're going to help him do tremendous things...really yuge things.  

And by the way, Trumps selected his team based on his experience running a very successful business.  He's been very successful, you know?  

Anyways Trump does have a hard job because he has to deal with China - and he has great respect for China - the greatest respect, but Trudeau doesn't have to solve bigly problems like that. 

You know, who would you want on your side if China invaded?  Mad-dog Mattis, or that guy Harjiit with the silly hat?  How can you even fit a helmet under that thing?  Ridiculous.  totally ridiculous.  

Look, Trump has a way easier job because he has the best experience and the best people and resources.  That makes his job way easier.  

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No way, 'cause if Trudeau keeps messing up his job, the world doesn't care nearly as much.

but Trudeau is way more likely to mess up without all that big and best stuff, you know?  Trump has all the best things.  He's got the best people, the best resources, the best experience, the biggest military, the biggest small hands, the best hair and definitely the best words.  The job's going to be a cakewalk for him.  His administration is a finally-tuned machine firing on all cylinders.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Both Trump and Trudeau seem to have the same challenges, and even appear to coordinate their activities.

Today they both held press conferences at with their respective naval forces. Today they also both went for a run. Trudeau took a run on the beach with the sailors, and Trump ran away from reporters asking questions about his attorney general. 

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canadian media broadcasts Trump speeches LIVE, but American media doesn't do so for Trudeau.

I had CTV on in the background, and both Trudeau and Sessions held their press conferences about the same time. Guess which one CTV covered.

Edited by ?Impact

Former Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev has urged Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump to strongly denounce nuclear war.

Gorbachev doesn't seem to care what Trudeau does.....'cause it doesn't matter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mikhail-gorbachev-ussr-last-soviet-premier-russia-world-prepare-war-syria-donald-trump-middle-east-a7548646.html

• 2 weeks later...

If I may weigh in, I think the question is irrelevant.  Take into account that Trudeau can rely on force and intimidation within the political system in ways that Trump could only dream of.  still, they both have jobs I am glad I don't have.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

1 hour ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Take into account that Trudeau can rely on force and intimidation within the political system in ways that Trump could only dream of. 

Take into account that Trudeau rules at the pleasure of Parliament, if his party turns on him for any reason (does not have to be criminal) then he can be kicked out. Yes, a coward Prime Minister could prorogue Parliament to delay that but thankfully they don't come around that often.

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

Take into account that Trudeau rules at the pleasure of Parliament, if his party turns on him for any reason (does not have to be criminal) then he can be kicked out. Yes, a coward Prime Minister could prorogue Parliament to delay that but thankfully they don't come around that often.

You ignore the reciprocal nature of power.  The principle of "responsible government"--which means one body being responsible to another, not meaning politicians are in any way "responsible"--is that the executive (cabinet/PM) is responsible to the House of Commons.  I know that.  However, in reality, it's more like the House is responsible to the PM rather than the other way around.  It's more complex than you're making it out to be.  When politicians have to worry about their survival on a daily basis--rather than having a definite term like a US president--they need to pull those "tricks" and cause the "responsibility" to flow in the opposite direction in order to survive.

Think of it as the laws of physics.  I can push my hands against my desk.  The desk is actually pushing back at me with equal force.

Presidents (not just American presidents) do not have the weapons a prime minister has.  Why? Because his/her vulnerability is delayed.  A prime minister's vulnerability---as you pointed out that he is responsible to the Commons---is ever-present.  In Canada, most votes are commensurate with actual no-confidence votes.  Canada gives even greater powers to the ruling party over its MPs than in the UK and many other parliamentary systems.  So yes, the PM is more vulnerable than his presidential counterpart--on paper

But, because on paper is not always commensurate with reality,  it means that, by extension, the positions of the MPs of the ruling party are also vulnerable to the awesome power of the PM, who is in turn afraid of them.  He can hold a cabinet reshuffle.  He can tempt MPs to raise them to cabinet, or threaten to demote them (or remove them from the government entirely) if they are already in the executive body.  See? Things don't always work out the way they taught us in civics class.  (In Canada or the US, it seems.)

Edited by JamesHackerMP