The Founder (in 3 paragraphs)

August1991

First of all, this is a laugh-out-loud, dramatic, wtf movie. In short, it's very entertaining. Dramatic? Many (leftist) reviews conclude that Ray Croc was an a**hole who left his wife and screwed the McDonald's brothers. The movie shows all of this, if that's what you want to conclude. OTOH, I have always thought that if you own 5 million tonnes of gold on the Moon, you are not rich on Earth. You have 5 million tonnes of gold on the Moon. When you figure out how to bring the gold to Earth, then you'll be rich. (Still today, many Newfoundlanders don't understand this key point about Churchill Falls.) Whatever.

I have always liked Michael Keaton - but not for Beetlejuice. I liked him for "Clean and Sober" (far, far better than Ray Milland in "The Lost Weekend") and also "Pacific Heights" (far, far better than any Christopher Walken portrayal of psychotic). Another picture that I have always liked (re-watched) is "Speechless". (How did the director/people manage to keep short Keaton as a lead to tall Geena Davis... )

John Carroll Lynch plays one of the McDonald brothers. (I liked him in "Anywhere But Here" - a delightful script.) In short, The Founder gets casting right. I was surprised to see Laura Dern and Patrick Wilson - their casting also tells the story.

Edited by August1991

I liked it too.  Kroc is an asshole, but in a human way.  Being a dick does not detract from the move at all, it is made much more realistic when heroes and/or villains are presented in a realistic manner.

Keaton hs had a huge resurgence in his career after a couple of decades of bit parts in shitty movies.  The last roole I remember that mattered from then was playing a cop in Jackie Brown.  Lately he has been lead role in a couple of very good movie: Birdman, and Spotlight.