Arrest (in Edmonton) leads to renewed criticism of refugee policy

jbg

Arrest leads to renewed criticism of refugee policy.

Here is a snippet of the article:

Word that a Syrian refugee was charged with six counts of sexual assault in Edmonton quickly led to social media backlash Wednesday, from some who oppose Canada’s refugee plan.

Soleiman Hajj Soleiman, a Syrian refugee and father of six, was charged following an incident at the West Edmonton Mall World Waterpark over the weekend. His arrest led to a heated debate over immigration policy in Canada.

This reminds me of a similar incident in Austria, Iraqi refugee who raped a boy in Germany has conviction overturned. Snippet from article:

The rapist, identified as Amir A, 20, violently sexually assaulted the boy in the changing room of Theresienbad pool in Austria claiming it was a 'sexual emergency' because he had not had sex for four months. 

Maybe both of these migrants just can't control themselves at a swimming pool. I don't know. But it seems that immigration policy should be driven by the needs of the receiving country and not just being "big-hearted."

Edited by jbg

Yes, you nailed it exactly. Being "Big Hearted" and at the same time, dumb brained. How can anyone expect that you just drop in some guy who's practically a complete savage compared to our culture, and have him go to a beach or swimming pool. Or people just out for a nice evening stroll, in Germany.

Thanks to these naive leftist policies on immigration, we are in danger. Grave danger.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Yes...  some will be bad apples.  It has always been thus.  Deport him.   Setting policy by knee jerk reaction is idiotic. 

Has he been granted his Canadian citizenship ? if so can we deport him ?.....and it was discovered we can't deport him, it was illegal....for lots of reasons. which is why there is frustrated Canadians with our immigration policies....if we can't deport them, then why import them in the first place.....

The issue I have is the inconsistency with Canadian media, why is it when the criminal or suspect is non-white, his race is made the issue and his race s reported, but when he is caucasian it is almost never ever reported unless his being white is part of the reason for the crime ie hate crime?

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, jbg said:

Arrest leads to renewed criticism of refugee policy.

Here is a snippet of the article:

This reminds me of a similar incident in Austria, Iraqi refugee who raped a boy in Germany has conviction overturned. Snippet from article:

Maybe both of these migrants just can't control themselves at a swimming pool. I don't know. But it seems that immigration policy should be driven by the needs of the receiving country and not just being "big-hearted."

In part, I feel for these people. They have been raised to believe that women must always cover up. Women, even modestly dressed women, do not socialize with men in his country, unless they are family. If he's reasonably young he's probably never even seen a woman's ankle and never been around girls or women who weren't related to him. He's also likely been taught that women who aren't Muslim aren't protected under Islam's moral code, and that women who dress as western women do are whores. Whore, in the middle east, means something a lot worse than it does in the West. A whore is an absolutely contemptible creature in the Muslim world. If your daughter were one you'd kill her to protect your family's honour. So now he's going to a swimming pool and surrounded by pretty young girls in bikinis. I'm not the least bit surprised he figured that as whores they were fair game, and that there was nothing wrong with groping them. Indeed, it was his right to do as he wished.

It's simply how he was raised. It's part of his cultural background.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The_Squid said:

Yes...  some will be bad apples.  It has always been thus.  Deport him.   Setting policy by knee jerk reaction is idiotic. 

Yet your knee jerk reaction is to deport him without due process?

First is the due process of the legal system.  Did you know that people charged with a crime in Canada have a right to a trial before execution conviction?  And since he has crossed the border into Canada, he has the right to endless years of immigration hearings, with the end result he will stay in Canada after we spend a few million on deciding that foregone conclusion..

Deport him to a wartorn country?  Never happen.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, hernanday said:

The issue I have is the inconsistency with Canadian media, why is it when the criminal or suspect is non-white, his race is made the issue and his race s reported, but when he is caucasian it is almost never ever reported unless his being white is part of the reason for the crime ie hate crime?

I don't think the media made his race the issue.  His race seemed to be an issue, and the media reported on it.  (in the link in the OP).  To their credit, they reported on both sides of the argument.

Edited by bcsapper

8 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I don't think the media made his race the issue.  His race seemed to be an issue, and the media reported on it.  (in the link in the OP).  To their credit, they reported on both sides of tha argument.

I think the only reason his ethnicity has a part in this story is because it's assumed his cultural value system played a part in his obnoxious behaviour, which then casts doubts on the tens of thousands of others from his background we're bringing into Canada. If he was Canadian born and raised people would just dismiss him as a deviant idiot. And there aren't that many of them.

[sarcasm]It's good to know that he, like they, were given such close scrutiny before being brought over, of course.[/sarcasm]

Edited by Argus

I edited my angry post (calling him sub-human and asking for his immediate deportation) because I read further about the alleged crime (charged not found guilty yet). And then it came to my mind one bad apple out of 35000. What percent of born Canadians may commit similar heinous crime?

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I don't think the media made his race the issue.  His race seemed to be an issue, and the media reported on it.  (in the link in the OP).  To their credit, they reported on both sides of the argument.

The media always makes race the issue when the criminal is not white.  That is the entire point.  Is the media trying to say because he is Syrian he raped?  If that is the case then reporting he is Syrian would be relevant, but why is it that when someone is German or white and rapes which over 90% of rapes in this nation are, it is never said, hey rapist is WHITE!  Why is there never an inference that the people who do 90% of the raping have a cultural issue with rape and that never plays into the story.

7 minutes ago, hernanday said:

The media always makes race the issue when the criminal is not white.  That is the entire point.  Is the media trying to say because he is Syrian he raped?  If that is the case then reporting he is Syrian would be relevant, but why is it that when someone is German or white and rapes which over 90% of rapes in this nation are, it is never said, hey rapist is WHITE!  Why is there never an inference that the people who do 90% of the raping have a cultural issue with rape and that never plays into the story.

The media isn't saying it. The media is reporting it was said.  That's their job. 

On 2/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, Army Guy said:

Has he been granted his Canadian citizenship ? if so can we deport him ?.....and it was discovered we can't deport him, it was illegal....for lots of reasons. which is why there is frustrated Canadians with our immigration policies....if we can't deport them, then why import them in the first place.....

We'll be hooked for thousands of dollars with this guy exhausting the judicial system....and chances are, even if he lose his case, he'd still won't be deported!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, blueblood said:

Maybe he'll get some doctor to write him off as insane and be found not criminally responsible.  

You have to be pretty mich insane to go on a touchy spree at the pool...

Not if you're from a different country which thinks it's no big deal to grope whores.

It is important to remember in cases like this that the real victim is Islam and not the children.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/syrian-refugee-west-edmonton-mall-sexual-assault-reaction-racism-1.3973831

"It's going to inflame a segment of our population who already harbour a bias, a discrimination or unfair views towards newcomers," said Huque, whose group last year helped resettle 250 Syrian refugees.

"I think this certainly emboldens them."

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

It is important to remember in cases like this that the real victim is Islam and not the children.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/syrian-refugee-west-edmonton-mall-sexual-assault-reaction-racism-1.3973831

I am a nudist and I hate all religions. We should be free to send those Syrian refugees to LA LA Land. 

Let's get rid of them all. There is no place for refugees and criminals and foreigners.

13 hours ago, hernanday said:

I am pretty sure that if someone, regardless of race or religion, went on a rampage of fondling teenage girls at a swimming pool, it would be news.

The fact that in this case it was a Syrian refugee is pertinent because our government has bent over backwards to bring these people here and scoffed at the idea that they pose any threat to Canadians. But in light of this incident and others, that discussion should be revisited.  Countries like Germany and Sweden have seen assaults on women follow the arrival of large number of migrants from Muslim lands. Now we may be seeing that pattern here in Canada as well.

If Muslim migrants just don't know any better, what steps are our government officials taking to make sure they learn?

If Muslim migrants do know better but don't respect women, then maybe our government is doing Canadian women a disservice by bringing more and more people who don't respect women to Canada.

If it's just "a few bad apples", then maybe better screening, as Ms Leitch suggests, would be a good idea.

-k

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kimmy said:

If Muslim migrants just don't know any better, what steps are our government officials taking to make sure they learn?

If Muslim migrants do know better but don't respect women, then maybe our government is doing Canadian women a disservice by bringing more and more people who don't respect women to Canada.

I think it's mostly the latter.

I think we all have an inborn humanity that tells us sexually assaulting/harming others is wrong.  

But when a religion is telling you that other humans are inferior to yourself, it overrides any sense of natural humanity.

I believe there's a lot of truth in the saying, " Without religion, we'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Stephen Weinburg

On 2/12/2017 at 1:59 AM, hernanday said:

Who did those massive sex assaults on New Year's eve in Europe?

The idea the media would exploit his being Syrian is ludicrous. The Canadian media goes way out of its way to not mention the race or ethnicity of criminals. I mean, they're not as bad as the Swedish and German media, who outright lie, but then our government and police haven't, to date, outright lied about such things either (as far as we know). They've confined themselves to simply not saying anything about the ethnicity of people who are arrested and charged with violent crimes.

Very rarely will you ever see anything in the media which question, let alone points out the statistically odd number of people with non-white faces and non-European names being arrested for violent crimes, drug crimes and pimping. If anyone is so gauche to wonder about ethnic street gangs the police will assure them "All ethnicities are involved". Of course, that could mean there are, say, 99% black and Arab and 1% White, but they won't point that out.

I think I've mentioned before the unusually large number of Muslim names involved in the unusually high number of murders in Ottawa last year. I'm willing to bet if the police released statistics on the also unusually high number of shootings last year Muslim names would figure prominently in those, too. And, of course, there was that wanted list released by the Ottawa police at the end of the year, too. I wonder how many of them had accents - meaning they were cheerfully passed into Canada by our lovely immigration department, no questions asked.

But hey, maybe this year will be different in Ottawa. So far only one murder!

5 hours ago, hernanday said:

No, the media reported he was syrian and refugee, the media doesn't report when the criminal is white their national origin.

We must be reading different articles. It happens.